PDA

View Full Version : Asus P4PE question...

cvearl
11-23-02, 11:49 PM
I have an ASUS P4PE and having an issue with USB mouse. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse USB. For several weeks I ran it with a USB to PS2 adaptor to run it through PS2. Then for the heck of it I removed the adaptor and ran through USB. After about 15 minutes if UT2003 or Morrowind, the light on the eye goes out and the mouse is dead. Then I need to reboot. To make sure it is not the mouse I plugged it back into PS2 and it does not have a problem. Anyone else have this happen to them??? Any ideas?

Charles.

Riptide
11-24-02, 10:37 AM
Strange. I have a logitech that does odd things sometimes. Every once in a while I'll boot the PC and for some reason it forgets that the mouse is attached. XP desktop greets me with a static cursor. I've been able to get into device manager and the mouse shows up in a problem state. This behavior only happens upon bootup. The mouse never loses comm. once the PC has booted if it was there to begin with.

The strangest part is that this behavior has happened with previous motherboards as well, not just this p4pe. I think my mouse just might be flakey.

The Baron
11-24-02, 11:21 AM
I bet that it's a mobo issue--not merely that your mobo or your mouse is busted. I have a KT266 board (MSI 6380), and if I plug the mouse straight into the back of the box via USB, the computer will lock up and the mouse light will go dead after a seemingly random period of time. But, if I use a powered hub, everything's peachy.

Try the powered hub, see if that helps.

cvearl
11-24-02, 02:46 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. If I can ever figure out how to email thier tech support, I will hit them with the question.

Charles.

gravioli
11-24-02, 08:17 PM
I doubt it is a motherboard problem because I am using an Intellimouse Explorer with a very similar set-up (see sig). First, I would make sure you are using the latest Intel Chipset drivers (http://downloadfinder2.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?ProductID=816&DwnldID=4841) and have installed the latest Microsoft Intellimouse drivers (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/download.asp?FinishURL=%2Fdownloads%2Frelease%2Eas p%3FReleaseID%3D42339%26area%3Dsearch%26ordinal%3D 1%26redirect%3Dno).

BTW, are you using an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 or the original Intellimouse Explorer? Originally, I had one of the older models and had similar problems. Microsoft replaced two of them and finally sent me the 3.0 version. I have had no problems since then.

Good luck! :)

gafami
11-25-02, 01:14 AM
-

cvearl
11-25-02, 12:30 PM
(Sorry - I had to edit my response as it made no sense) I am sure it is a old vs. 3.0 mouse issue concearning USB standards. In truth my mouse is probably between two and three years old! All it says on the face is Microsoft Intellimouse with Intellieye. It looks like a regular Microsoft Intellimouse ball mouse until you flip it over and see the eye that is. No doubt the mouse itself is not dieing as it works forever via PS/2. Now from what you have all said, it is likely that it just cannot handle being on a USB 1.1/2.0 port. I guess the answer would be to get a new one eh?

Thank you all for your input!!!

saturnotaku
11-25-02, 12:41 PM
I would say contact MS and have them send you a new one. You shouldn't have to put up with the problem. You'll (most likely) end up with the more technologically advanced Intellimouse 3.0 anyway so it would be like getting a better mouse for free. I don't think MS would do that if they didn't acknowlege there was a problem with the older mice.

My Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 is still working flawlessly and has been for almost 2 years now. I must be one of the lucky ones. :)

cvearl
11-26-02, 02:47 AM
I went out and bought a shiny new MS Intellimouse Optical and all is well on the USB front!!!:D

Thanks for the suggestions.

Charles