Ben Weekes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ben,
That change isn't really significant.

Michael Mullen
Technical Support

ASUS UK Ltd

i emailed them before i knew the 71.40/50s give huge temp. rises, so thats no problem, but the temps they aren't worried about is quite liberal! not to mention i said it suddenly changed (perhaps indicating that my heatsink had become unseated or something. anyhow, just posted for ****s, giggles and :rolleyes:

Pandora's Box
01-17-05, 09:51 AM
nv40 can go to 120 degrees before it basically craps out so technically the asus tek is correct.

Morn
01-17-05, 10:19 AM
How hot can it get before it receives permonant damage?

Pandora's Box
01-17-05, 11:01 AM
believe i just said that.

Sazar
01-17-05, 11:13 AM
120 seems a little high tbh... :(

I set my alarm to go off @ 100C

Mud
01-17-05, 03:10 PM
i know the official line is 120'C, but most people experience stability issues way before then, like Athlon XPs are certified to 90/85 (depending on the chip) but start randomly restarting around the 70s.

NemesisChild
01-17-05, 03:17 PM
my V9999GE has idled at around 58'C/50'C (GPU/RAM) @ 2500rpm (using
smartcooling), but today has started idling at 72'/56' @ 3500rpm...should i
be concerned?

thanks,
Ben Weekes.

Dear Ben,
That change isn't really significant.

Michael Mullen
Technical Support

ASUS UK Ltd

i emailed them before i knew the 71.40/50s give huge temp. rises, so thats no problem, but the temps they aren't worried about is quite liberal! not to mention i said it suddenly changed (perhaps indicating that my heatsink had become unseated or something. anyhow, just posted for ****s, giggles and :rolleyes:

Have you checked the heatsink screws, maybe they have become loose.
Also, is it possible that one of your case fans has crapped out?
Another possibility: the themal compound on your GPU and/or memory might be bad.
The OEM thermal compound that is applied to these cards isn't the best in the world!!!

Just food for thought........

ChrisRay
01-17-05, 07:31 PM
120 seems a little high tbh... :(

I set my alarm to go off @ 100C

It can go to 120 but it cant operate at those tempatures long. Thats why it throttles hard when reaching those tempatures. To avoid permanent damage.

Morn
01-18-05, 12:09 AM
You said it craps out at 120C, I took that to mean it starts crashing, not it gets damaged. So it gets damaged at 120C? How long could it run at that without damage, 1 hour?

Mud
01-18-05, 07:13 AM
the fans just died on this very card, and so i can tell you it starts artifacting and hangs very quickly around 120/90 (GPU/RAM)! :thumbdwn:

doubt the damage from the few crashes it gave me before hanging each time did permanent damage, but it can't be good for it...

ricercar
01-18-05, 12:44 PM
Where do you people get the spec for NV40 rated to only 120C? NV3x specs I wrote for NVIDIA had operating temperatures up to 143C.

bkswaney
01-18-05, 10:15 PM
the fans just died on this very card, and so i can tell you it starts artifacting and hangs very quickly around 120/90 (GPU/RAM)! :thumbdwn:

doubt the damage from the few crashes it gave me before hanging each time did permanent damage, but it can't be good for it...

So the fans quit?
Man that suxs. :(
Well, at least you know why it was running hot. "lol"

55illinois
01-18-05, 10:35 PM
This happened to my 6800GT as well. Fan just died and my temps went nutso while I was playing Doom3, giving me lots of reboots/blue screens before I realized what was going on. I found a guy selling a GT with NV5 attached on ebay, and he sold me has stock HSF for the cost of shipping (nice guy :)!)

As a stopgap until it arrived, I took an old CPU fan and tied it to my card with thin gauge wire strung through the mounting holes on the GT. This was a really loud 6000 RPM fan or something like that, so this setup actually cooled better than the stock fan. It was also painfully loud, so I switched back to the stock fan as soon as I got it.