PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players with AM/FM tuners?

saturnotaku
01-17-05, 09:59 AM
The portable CD/MP3/AM/FM unit I use at my desk at work is starting to give up the ghost. The lid on the CD player recently broke and now in order to listen to a CD I have to tape it shut.

I'm looking to invest in a (preferably 512 mb) MP3 player. I want it to have voice record capability as well as an AM/FM tuner (I like to listen to our AM sport radio station). I see lots of players with an FM tuner, but none with AM. I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any and where I might be able to buy one?

I don't want to spend a fortune so an iPod and its ilk are out of the question. Thanks a bunch for any leads! :)

Sazar
01-17-05, 10:43 AM
my wife has a rio, some of the version's come with a built in FM tuner...

how much are you willing to spend?

there are some el-cheapo versions out there but sound quality is pants :(

I personally own a dell pocket DJ, very small and compact, but no am/fm tuner... you can however get the larger version with an in-line tuner/remote thinger

EngenZerO
01-17-05, 11:12 AM
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~sheikha/image/zen.JPG
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~sheikha/image/zen2.JPG
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~sheikha/image/shure.JPG

zen micro lovin... has a pretty damn good fm reciever...

also, a picture of my shure e2c.

Sazar
01-17-05, 11:15 AM
looks pretty nice... and I have heard good things bout the fm receiver too :D

saturnotaku
01-17-05, 11:19 AM
my wife has a rio, some of the version's come with a built in FM tuner...

how much are you willing to spend?

I'm hoping to keep it under $100. That's going to be a tall order for a 512 mb player I realize. Much as I would love to get a Zen Micro or similar player, the price simply isn't going to work. I just got done paying off nearly $2,000 in credit card debt so I would rather not have to go back in it to buy this. ;)

As I said before, I would prefer the device have an AM/FM tuner. I can't get any FM reception in my office building (as we work on a garden level). However, if there are no players that have an AM tuner, I can still use the radio function of my portable CD player.

Sazar
01-17-05, 11:26 AM
when I get home I'll check which one my wife has... she paid more than $100, and I doubt you'll be able to get a decent player under that price incl an fm tuner...

the pocket DJ I have from dell is $199 plus tax... and there are cheaper items of that nature on the market... mine has a 5gb hdd and is absolutely TINY...

like I said though, I'll get more info when I get home :)

saturnotaku
01-17-05, 11:32 AM
when I get home I'll check which one my wife has... she paid more than $100, and I doubt you'll be able to get a decent player under that price incl an fm tuner...

the pocket DJ I have from dell is $199 plus tax... and there are cheaper items of that nature on the market... mine has a 5gb hdd and is absolutely TINY...

like I said though, I'll get more info when I get home :)

Thanks. The 512 mb players start around $110 or so. Hell, for $100 more I may as well just get one that has 5 GB. Actually, I saw on Comp-U-Plus, they had the Creative Nomad Zen 40 GB for $210. I could use that as an external hard drive if needed, though I don't know if it has voice record or not. That feature would be really handy, being that I'm a journalist and all. ;)

jAkUp
01-17-05, 11:47 AM
Yea the Rio's are very good. I got my GF an ipod mini for x-mas, and as much as I hate apple, I have to admit, that thing is freakin awesome..heh

saturnotaku
01-17-05, 01:41 PM
I like the iPod myself, but I don't think it's capable of voice recording like the Zen mini is. It would be pretty cool if I could use a larger player as a portable hard drive, but such capability isn't required.

karkrash81
01-17-05, 04:27 PM
The Zen Micro has surprisingly good readio reception...Also the Motorola m25 is nice...It's made by RIO and is only 129 bucks.

EnGenZero, have you had problems getting decent battery life out of your Zen Micro(s)? I can't get anything close to the 12 hours listed in the specs.

EngenZerO
01-17-05, 04:35 PM
The Zen Micro has surprisingly good readio reception...Also the Motorola m25 is nice...It's made by RIO and is only 129 bucks.

EnGenZero, have you had problems getting decent battery life out of your Zen Micro(s)? I can't get anything close to the 12 hours listed in the specs.

i get around 7-8 hours (on my black micro)

my sister (her white micro) says she gets roughly the same.

Sazar
01-18-05, 09:23 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/Rio_Carbon__5GB_/4505-6490_7-30984154.html?tag=topprods

nice product and the listed prices are only a little above what you are looking to spend... plus it does everything you want it to do..

saturnotaku
01-18-05, 09:56 AM
I was looking at the Rio Carbon yesterday and it looked pretty cool. That's definitely on my list. But #1 right now is the Archos Multimedia Jukebox, the AV120 model - www.archos.com.

It's a bit more expensive, but I'll save up for it because having the ability to play DivX and XviD movies on it would be pretty freaking cool. I can rip some of my anime DVDs and have them handy to play when I'm bored at work or in the downtime before I have to attend night meetings. Plus it has all the other stuff I'm looking for - plenty of space to use has an external HD, MP3 and voice recording. I've found it as cheap as $240 online so I think that's where I might go.