PDA

View Full Version : Just got 6800GT and HORRIBLE stuttering

Pages : [1] 2

SniperKil
01-17-05, 02:06 PM
i just picked up a PNY 6800GT to go with my new system and have bee through nothing but HELL the past 4 days

here are my system specs
DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb mobo
Athlon 64 3000+
Corsair ValueSelect 512mb PC3200 @ 2.5-3-3-8
PNY Verto 6800GT
80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache WD special edition HD as my primary drive
using onboard nforce audio (also tried with my soundblaster live and it dident help)

there is no reason for this to be skipping and stuttering so bad

and these are not 5 second pauses that many have.. they are just little skips

unreal tournament 2004 is like a god damn slide show @ default settings.. when i check the FPS it tells me its @ 70FPS average!

halflife2 skips about every 4 or 5 steps and that is @ default settings of everything maxed and 4xAA and 8xAF... and it reports my FPS as 180 in some places!

i even installed TFC for halflife 1 and somehow it manages to skip in that too!

i tried almost ever driver version under the sun, every nforce driver version i could find.. ive tried the fastwrites off, the bitting settings in riva tuner, compatibility mode, changing the PCI latency... NOTHING helps

3dmark seems to run smooth as well as aquamark..

please someone help as im about to throw this card out the window

bkswaney
01-17-05, 02:12 PM
512 megs of ram is not going to cut it.
I had stutter like mad till I upped mine to 1gig.

Now all runs smooth. :)

SniperKil
01-17-05, 02:14 PM
512 megs of ram is not going to cut it.
I had stutter like mad till I upped mine to 1gig.

Now all runs smooth. :)

but common now.. halflife 1 should not be doing that... i used to play halflife 1 smooth as hell on my old p2 333mhz 64mb ram and a voodoo 3 3000 pci..

but just for ****s and giggles ill get a 1gb stick of pc2700 out of my friends pc and try it

Rytr
01-17-05, 02:16 PM
I have the same DFI board and simular components except for a Fortissimo III sound card and a gig of ram. No problems in UT2004, HL2, DoomIII, COR, etc.

SniperKil
01-17-05, 02:23 PM
oh forgot to mention for some reason thr BUGLOOKER nvidia demo will not load... the screen stays at my desktop and i can hear the audio but nothing on screen... ive tried on win2k and xp

its not a power issue as ive tried running the card off its own powersupply and it dident help

Salamandar
01-17-05, 08:20 PM
Yes 512MB is so bad, I have 512MB and they are holding me back, I need to upgrade to 1GB bit alas I'm out of money after importing my 6800GT :thumbdwn:

circuitbreaker8
01-17-05, 08:22 PM
*waits for saturn to come in here and tell the guy to search*

The time will come....

Until then...welcome to the club.

latinmike
01-18-05, 12:22 AM
i just picked up a PNY 6800GT to go with my new system and have bee through nothing but HELL the past 4 days

here are my system specs
DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb mobo
Athlon 64 3000+
Corsair ValueSelect 512mb PC3200 @ 2.5-3-3-8
PNY Verto 6800GT
80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache WD special edition HD as my primary drive
using onboard nforce audio (also tried with my soundblaster live and it dident help)

there is no reason for this to be skipping and stuttering so bad

and these are not 5 second pauses that many have.. they are just little skips

unreal tournament 2004 is like a god damn slide show @ default settings.. when i check the FPS it tells me its @ 70FPS average!

halflife2 skips about every 4 or 5 steps and that is @ default settings of everything maxed and 4xAA and 8xAF... and it reports my FPS as 180 in some places!

i even installed TFC for halflife 1 and somehow it manages to skip in that too!

i tried almost ever driver version under the sun, every nforce driver version i could find.. ive tried the fastwrites off, the bitting settings in riva tuner, compatibility mode, changing the PCI latency... NOTHING helps

3dmark seems to run smooth as well as aquamark..

please someone help as im about to throw this card out the window
what you can eixt any running programs you don,t need at the time your play your games, try is to set your apg aperture to 64 mbs. disable the fast write
I see you have Corsair ValueSelect try 3. 3-3-7 and uninstall your display drives start your pc find the folder w/display drivers delete it and reinstall. set nview at gobal settings
and get yourself more memory when you can hope thank helps.:cool:

bkswaney
01-18-05, 01:00 AM

The time will come....

:rofl:

mustrum
01-18-05, 04:29 AM
Give PCI Latency Tool a go. I changed the latency of my card from 248 to 64 wich helped a lot.

MUYA
01-18-05, 05:51 AM
Hang on can you not set PCI latency in the BIOS? Since my KT133A days, and now because I am using a mobno with KT800 Pro chipset, I have always set teh PCI latency timer to 64. Guess that's whY i have no stuttering issues..apart from HL2 (which was due to the engine?). :D

MUYA
01-18-05, 06:29 AM
must say I replied w/o checking the pci latency timer tool out. Will try changing latencies if I get stuttering :)

Mr_LoL
01-18-05, 08:06 AM

The time will come....

:udawg:

msxyz
01-18-05, 08:15 AM
Oh come on, don't act like having only 512MB of RAM is the end of the world.

Some swap every now and then is common in latest games with "ONLY" 512mb of RAM but constant stuttering surely not. I think the problem lies elsewhere

thanosAIAS
01-18-05, 08:27 AM
but common now.. halflife 1 should not be doing that... i used to play halflife 1 smooth as hell on my old p2 333mhz 64mb ram and a voodoo 3 3000 pci..

but just for ****s and giggles ill get a 1gb stick of pc2700 out of my friends pc and try it

1) On board audio DOES slow down the system quit a bit. The cheapest sound card will do fine...better than what you have now. Do not underestimate sound cards nessecity.On board audio uses system RAM (Slower) and cpu cycles.

2) Get an other stick of 512MB RAM. 1GB of RAM is barelly enough for today games.
I my self would go for 1.5GB of RAM if it wasn't for dual RAM and 1T rate.

3) The Buglooker demo has two versions. The original which requires 1 GB of RAM and a newer one which required less (i think 512MB but ain't so sure...could be 768MB).

You have a decent system. Don't waste it by using ONLY 512MB of RAM. If you can afford it then YES ...you do need it.

Mr_LoL
01-18-05, 08:30 AM
i cant believe that a lack of ram wil be causing stuttering that bad. It must be something else in his system. I mean i had 512mb of ram only last week and everything was fine

boxterduke
01-18-05, 08:37 AM
Hey sniperkil try this thread and see of it works for you.
Let us know ok
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37865&highlight=6800+stuttering+solved

francisD
01-18-05, 09:19 AM
welcome to the club, you're not alone, many suffer from the stuttering

SniperKil
01-18-05, 02:27 PM
ive tried the bitting and pci latency..

im at my friends now.. i put a 512mb stick of his pc2700 ram in.. and unreal is actually playable now.. and halflife seems to stutter muccchh less... except it is still rough when i turn the mouse

SniperKil
01-18-05, 04:40 PM
ok well now that im home back on my 512mb ram i made unreal run a bit better by taking off the preload player skins under the game tab

gonna be 2 weeks till i can order another 512mb stick :/

TacT
01-18-05, 06:17 PM

The time will come....

I do hope he doesn't dissapoint us on that front. :afro:
Back to the topic, a lot of people have had some success changing pci latency.

walkndude
01-18-05, 07:47 PM
wtf is up with people harping on sat for telling people to use the search function, its the proper thing to do. Sounds like some bruised egos should move on to other bbs' if they dont wish to follow established net et... or maybe grow up.

MustangSVT
01-18-05, 08:32 PM
I've had 1GB DDR400 for about 8 months now, and previously had 512MB DDR266 for around 2 years. I can safely say that upgrading to 1GB did not "magically eliminate" stuttering every 5 seconds.

If you have mad stuttering, rest be assured it's not from 512MB of RAM. I played through FarCry with a Ti4200 128MB and 512MB DDR266 and did not have stuttering. I had maybe a .5 second load "stutter" every 15 minutes, but not mad stutter.

Some of you people are acting like 512MB of RAM is the end of the world. How come my other computer doesn't have any stuttering at all with 512MB DDR266 when playing games like Battlefield Vietnam, Halo PC, Call of Duty, Raven Shield and Doom III. :rolleyes:

Your problem lies elsewhere. I remember I used to have a 5 second stutter every minute back a couple months ago because of this program called RAM Idle I had installed. I had it set to liberate 64MB of RAM every time there was less than 128MB RAM free. As soon as I figured out the problem and turned off the problem, I didn't have any more pausing in ANY game.

francisD
01-19-05, 10:12 AM
It's definitely not the ram, it's the video card, I swap out with an ati card and it stops the stuttering,(the frame rates are lower) but nonetheless the stuttering stops, I have tried formatting and everything. I'm thinking about just getting an x800pro and saying screw it. I know that the 6800gt is better but I can't take the stuttering, it could be going 1000fps and the stuttering would still ruin it.

francisD
01-19-05, 12:08 PM
it is definitely the ram... try using the 6800gt and using 1 gig ram... i'm sure the stuttering will vanish... i experienced this personally... better framerate than x800pro and zero stuttering... :)

I have a gig of ram, if I pop in my 9700pro, it plays doom3/hl2/fc flawlessly at 1024, then clean the drivers out, put the 6800gt in same settings, I get the stuttering. Ram has nothing to do with it, it has something to do with the nf3 board and the 6800 chip.