PDA

View Full Version : **** You Steam!

Pages : [1] 2

Rakeesh
01-17-05, 08:13 PM
*******, what a way to piss somebody off when all they feel like doing at the moment is playing a quick game:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=9740&stc=1

NightFire
01-17-05, 08:18 PM
A classic example of Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will.

six_storm
01-17-05, 08:18 PM
I've never seen that before. But remember, Valve just released the bots and de_tides a little while ago. That's probably why.

superklye
01-17-05, 08:37 PM
I keep getting that too...the worst part is that I was MID-UPDATE when it happened. :rolleyes2

WeReWoLf
01-17-05, 08:38 PM
A classic example of Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will.

Actually murphey's law is that "For everything that will go right, there is always something that will go wrong". It just got mixed up. It was shortened and put in "layman's terms" because the media found it more "appropriate". It came about from Edward Air Force Base in 1949. One of the technicians had wired a transducer wrong and the test pilot said "if there is any way of doing something wrong, he'll find it." The contractor's project manager was a collector of "laws" and added his own version of what the pilot said (For everything that will go right, there is always something that will go wrong) to his list and named it after the engineer in charge.

NightFire
01-17-05, 08:51 PM
Actually murphey's law is that "For everything that will go right, there is always something that will go wrong". It just got mixed up. It was shortened and put in "layman's terms" because the media found it more "appropriate". It came about from Edward Air Force Base in 1949. One of the technicians had wired a transducer wrong and the test pilot said "if there is any way of doing something wrong, he'll find it." The contractor's project manager was a collector of "laws" and added his own version of what the pilot said (For everything that will go right, there is always something that will go wrong) to his list and named it after the engineer in charge.

Ah, I see. Arigato gozaimasu, sensei!

But according to Wordorigins.org:

The standard story is that the term was coined in 1949. The Murphy in question is Captain Ed Murphy, a development engineer assigned to Colonel J.P. Stapp's research on the rocket sleds that tested the limits of human endurance to acceleration and decelaration at Muroc Field, California (later renamed Edwards AFB). Murphy was referring to a particular technician, whose name has been lost to history, who had wired a piece of equipment incorrectly when he remarked, "if there is any way to do things wrong, he will." A few weeks later in a press conference, Stapp credited his program's safety record to planning for Murphy's Law. The rest was history.

Or at least that is what history says happened. There is no doubt that the incident described above actually happened, although the press conference that gave rise to the phrase may have been at a later date. In a Washington Post article from 29 Dec 1954, Stapp says:

But I have learned to rely on the engineers and mechanics to take care of everything foreseeable and to accept the unforeseen and unknown as the payoff part of the experiment.

That is the closest anyone has come to a contemporary quote from Stapp or his research staff that resembles the famous adage. The first documented use of the term Murphy's Law is from 1955.

But there is an earlier use of the adage, if not the name. Fred Shapiro of Yale University has found a 1952 use of the adage. In his book The Butcher: The Ascent of Yerupaja, author John Sack says that "anything that can possibly go wrong, does" is an "ancient mountaineering adage." There are other accounts from as early as 1957 claiming that the phrase has its origins in theater jargon.

It seems likely that the phrase itself predates the 1949 incident at Muroc Field. Captain Murphy's contribution to the history of the phrase was probably just the lending of his name. The engineers at Muroc attached Murphy's name to an already existing adage.

(Sources: ADS-L, Oxford English Dictionary)

It's actually a great site. I learend much from it.

BioHazZarD
01-18-05, 11:40 AM
Yes this just shows how stupid steam is when people wanna play you get a time out request i hate steam friggin hate it.

ynnek
01-18-05, 01:16 PM
I've decided, I'm most likely not going to buy any Single Player game that relys on Steam or some form of DRM.

This might mean, I may stop playing vid games in the future though.

holmes
01-18-05, 02:01 PM
(owned)

ok, seriously I hate steam too..
:mad:

Skinner
01-18-05, 02:24 PM
Same here for almost the whole evening, the damn thing refuse to complete the update :(

Edge
01-18-05, 02:45 PM
I've decided, I'm most likely not going to buy any Single Player game that relys on Steam or some form of DRM.

This might mean, I may stop playing vid games in the future though.

No, that just keeps you from BUYING video games in the future, not playing them ;)

And yes, I ran into the same "servers are too busy, blah blah blah" thing when I tried to play CS:S. But all you have to do is set CS:S to "automatically keep up to date" from the properties menu, then restart steam, and with any luck the Steam monitor should show that it's updating it. Still takes around an hour on broadband though...who's the genius at Valve who thought that stand-alone patches weren't needed? This has to be the first game I've bought that I feel sorry for not pirating...

SH64
01-18-05, 02:54 PM
No, that just keeps you from BUYING video games in the future, not playing them ;)

:firedevil

what makes me hate Steam is that i cant play HL2 on my 2 PCs at same time . i have to login on each PC seaperatly , then log off from the other .
this is just crazy .. have a legal copy of the game in your hands & not able to play them whenever you like .
thats of course plus the connection troubles & esp for those 56k users .

NAZCA M12
01-18-05, 03:40 PM
who's the genius at Valve who thought that stand-alone patches weren't needed?

Oh yes, patches. Remember a moron a few weeks before the game was out who was sure that HL2 patches would be at least 60-70Mbs? Well, that moron was me (:D) and i haven't seen any stand alone patches from Valve. Must be a perfect game then (or Steam took care of that one as well)

WeReWoLf
01-18-05, 06:15 PM
The first documented use of the term Murphy's Law is from 1955.

Actually the first documented use of Murphy's law is back in 1792 in England. It was called Sod's law, because bad things generally only happened to poor sods.

Raptorman
01-18-05, 09:07 PM
How would you like to get "Steam could not connect." every time you tried to use it? That really sucks.

NightFire
01-18-05, 10:34 PM
Actually the first documented use of Murphy's law is back in 1792 in England. It was called Sod's law, because bad things generally only happened to poor sods.

I agree. Like I quoted in the artice:

Captain Murphy's contribution to the history of the phrase was probably just the lending of his name. The engineers at Muroc attached Murphy's name to an already existing adage.

Mr. Hunt
01-19-05, 10:14 PM
Yup... I am right there with you right now. I don't have problems very often... but I have practice with my clan for a CAL match tonight and what do you know... right as soon as I was going to go into CSS... it says it is updating even though I am fully up to date. It has done this BS a few times and I get tired of it. I have no idea why I have to take an hour out of my day to download an "update" that ISN'T EVEN DOING ANYTHING. I HATE Valve, Steam, and that fat f**k Gabe.

Rakeesh
01-20-05, 12:13 AM
Gabe is fat? Hmm...I didn't know this.

The thing about updates though, and this is one of steam's most annoying features, is anytime any game on there is updated, even if it is for a game that you don't even own or maybe even know about, you have to download some kind of update to the steam platform reguardless.

There was an update to the Source SDK today, which is why you saw the upgrade. This is an update for developers only and will not affect any of the games you play, but sure enough you still have to download the platform upgrade for it anyways.

EDIT: Wow, he is fat: http://www.truemeaningoflife.com/steamdonate.html

Marcos
01-20-05, 02:30 PM
I reinstalled HL2 after i got my new CPU and I couldnt get it to work, **** this ****ing bull**** **** steam **** valve **** nestle food company... wait how did that get in there

Kev1
01-20-05, 03:53 PM
And to think I haven't bought this gem of a game yet :)

Best fps ever? Maybe. Most annoying game ever? Definitly :thumbdwn:

oldsk00l
01-20-05, 04:02 PM
buncha whiners, quit acting so surprised

Edge
01-20-05, 04:26 PM
Gabe is fat? Hmm...I didn't know this.

Heh, I wish Planetgabe.com was still up, that was such a great site for finding "things" related to Gabe. Wonder why they took it down :(

Zelda_fan
01-20-05, 04:32 PM
You guys want to know what's funny about this?

The people that have a pirated copy of the game will never get this problem. I find it quite funny that Valve made a copy protection scheme that handicaps people who bought the game, yet does nothing to people who pirated it....

Rakeesh
01-20-05, 05:47 PM

We keep acting surprised because steam actually gets worse as time progresses. Just when you begin to think steam can't get any worse, something worse happens.

BTW, anybody notice the steam user forums going down?

Vagrant Zero
01-22-05, 01:03 AM

We're not surprised that steam is piece of ****, we're just annoyed.