PDA

View Full Version : Gripefest from a former EQ2-fan

Sorrow
01-18-05, 12:40 PM
Well, I don't think I'm going to play EQ2 much more. Why you ask? (If you care) Everquest 2 is the most boring game 35+. The lower end levels, 30 and under, were great, NPCs to get quests from and all kinds of neat things to explore. 35+ is not much so, it's usually just rine and repeat, 400 times. For example, you go to zone, xp, gate back to home town, sell and buy, log. Rinse and repeat until 50. Raids aren't worth it, the SoE content designers are trying to appeal to casual players by shafting the hardcore raiders with gimp gear. For example, Vision of Vox and some others were lvl 52+ groupx4 mobs that dropped gear equivalent to that of which I'd be able to attain with a single group at lvl 38! WHY!? I think it's ridiculous to have such hard mobs drop such craptastic loot. This is a slap in the face to hardcore gamers and basically laughs in your face if you're a raider, of ANY type.

Secondly, bots. SO many bots, it's not even funny. How do you know they're bots? 5 wizards and a cleric in group, all randomly generated names, still wearing gear from Isle of Refuge. Bots will literally run into your camp and blast everything away and proceed to camp there for the rest of the day until servers are brought down for daily patching. They're everywhere. Ruining the economy and screwing up the game.

Thirdly, idiot game mechanics. Mobs will, when I'm down to 10% hp, magically grow arms longer than a football field and hit me! I can have SoW on and sprint but it still isn't fast enough, because the bunny has super arms and can hit me from 50 yards away and kill me. Swimming away from mobs is a pain, how come mobs can sprint in water while you barely swim at walking speed? Do they WANT you to get stomped? And when you think you'll be able to shake it off by getting on land, Lo and Behold the shark can walk on land! Not only that, but they can run faster than you on land! Huh?? *Scratches head* Also, where's the option for revive box? Just yesterday some person in my group tried to run through a WHOLE group of see invis mobs while invis, she thought couldn't see her, and got stomped to the ground. So I walked over to her, she died on a bridge, and rezzed her, but what's this? She had auto-run on before she died, so immediately after I rezzed her she ran off the f**king cliff! What the hell? I get debt because SoE is lazy and won't give rez boxes and turn off auto-run when you die. Thanks guys!

And what's up it with all the fake boundaries? You mean I can't jump over a fence but I can jump off a bridge and fall to my death, causing me to /petition for my shard?

Let's not forget the huge mem leaks!

The list goes on, so many things, so little bandwidth. I'm going to play some WoW now....hopefully I won't have to yell and bang my keyboard as much.

|MaguS|
01-18-05, 01:19 PM
Well, I don't think I'm going to play EQ2 much more. Why you ask? (If you care) Everquest 2 is the most boring game 35+. The lower end levels, 30 and under, were great, NPCs to get quests from and all kinds of neat things to explore. 35+ is not much so, it's usually just rine and repeat, 400 times. For example, you go to zone, xp, gate back to home town, sell and buy, log. Rinse and repeat until 50. Raids aren't worth it, the SoE content designers are trying to appeal to casual players by shafting the hardcore raiders with gimp gear. For example, Vision of Vox and some others were lvl 52+ groupx4 mobs that dropped gear equivalent to that of which I'd be able to attain with a single group at lvl 38! WHY!? I think it's ridiculous to have such hard mobs drop such craptastic loot. This is a slap in the face to hardcore gamers and basically laughs in your face if you're a raider, of ANY type.

Secondly, bots. SO many bots, it's not even funny. How do you know they're bots? 5 wizards and a cleric in group, all randomly generated names, still wearing gear from Isle of Refuge. Bots will literally run into your camp and blast everything away and proceed to camp there for the rest of the day until servers are brought down for daily patching. They're everywhere. Ruining the economy and screwing up the game.

Thirdly, idiot game mechanics. Mobs will, when I'm down to 10% hp, magically grow arms longer than a football field and hit me! I can have SoW on and sprint but it still isn't fast enough, because the bunny has super arms and can hit me from 50 yards away and kill me. Swimming away from mobs is a pain, how come mobs can sprint in water while you barely swim at walking speed? Do they WANT you to get stomped? And when you think you'll be able to shake it off by getting on land, Lo and Behold the shark can walk on land! Not only that, but they can run faster than you on land! Huh?? *Scratches head* Also, where's the option for revive box? Just yesterday some person in my group tried to run through a WHOLE group of see invis mobs while invis, she thought couldn't see her, and got stomped to the ground. So I walked over to her, she died on a bridge, and rezzed her, but what's this? She had auto-run on before she died, so immediately after I rezzed her she ran off the f**king cliff! What the hell? I get debt because SoE is lazy and won't give rez boxes and turn off auto-run when you die. Thanks guys!

And what's up it with all the fake boundaries? You mean I can't jump over a fence but I can jump off a bridge and fall to my death, causing me to /petition for my shard?

Let's not forget the huge mem leaks!

The list goes on, so many things, so little bandwidth. I'm going to play some WoW now....hopefully I won't have to yell and bang my keyboard as much.

Yeah but we can't complain that we can't play the game were paying for... look at the WoW Players. Feel so sorry for them (No Sarcasm, Sucks to P2P and not be allowed to play due to the developer being at fault).

Sorrow
01-18-05, 01:27 PM
Well, the thing is, what really got to me, is EQ2's way of trying to "balance" the game by not letting hardcore raiders recieve awesome loot. It's abovious throughout all of the levels that this is the case. I think the reason I'm beginning to dislike EQ2 so much is because the end-game is so boring! Raiding is pointless because of reward vs encounter difficulty screwed up. Leveling is repetitive, nothing out of the ordinary while leveling really. I mean, you level until you've outgrown that zone, progress to next zone. That's not exciting. And leveling is becomming a pain at higher levels with debt and everything. What SoE didn't want is happening anyways because of the way they deal with debt: Players ARE being counted out because they are not with your guild or a reputable guild, or are well known. And since there's no way other than to run to get your shard, it can be a pain in the ass most of the times. I'm not saying I'm going to quit EQ2 all together, I'll still have my account active just in case something awesome happens (lvl 42 almost 43 warden) I won't have to start from scratch.

It's just raiding is lame in EQ2, and xping is pretty damn boring, and every level doesn't feel any different from the last. Gear hardly varies, you'll always use the same type of weapon for its stats. Like I use scourge because every level they have the most power when you combine wisdom and power on it, so no need to use anything else. Maybe if they fix some of this stuff, and make Xping a little more exciting, I'll keep playing, but they have really got to turn the boat around and start making it more enjoyable.

|MaguS|
01-18-05, 01:53 PM
Problem is the only uber mob to be taken down so far is Vox...atleast as far as I know. Also its only the initial release... you never played EQ1 did ya? At release all we had was Naggy or Vox... TWO dragons... thats it... In EQ2 there are alot more mobs, maybe people just haven't gotten to them yet. I mean if your bored, work on the Froglok quest... no one has come close to solving it, for all we know, as soon as its complete acouple of new zones will pop up...

Ghosthunter
01-18-05, 02:06 PM
well I am still in my 20's and not rushing through content..though i am still working on my tradeskills a lot..but also doing lots of stuff like decorating my appt..and quests.

I am having fun...35+ might suck..but that is to be expected of any new MMORPG...most dont have the high content. Look at EQ1.

Now if anything SOE is not lacking in content..that is not reason I left EQ1...So I am sure they will have plenty..

|MaguS|
01-18-05, 02:16 PM
I left EQ1 because Clerics became useless and unwanted in a group outside of raids once Druids and Shamans got thier Healing spells buffed. Who would want a Healer/buffer when you can have a healer/buffer/debuffer/DDer,

Ghosthunter
01-18-05, 02:21 PM
I left EQ1 because Clerics became useless and unwanted in a group outside of raids once Druids and Shamans got thier Healing spells buffed. Who would want a Healer/buffer when you can have a healer/buffer/debuffer/DDer,

I was a cleric as well in EQ1 so I know your pain..

I left EQ1 becuase raiding after PoP was horrible in so many ways...

|MaguS|
01-18-05, 02:26 PM
While I didn't despise raiding after PoP released, It wasn't anything like taking down AoW or doing the 10th Ring War. Those awsome encounters, Heck I would still get shivers in ToV even though my guild had cleared it all the time, it was just such a great zone.

SoE might make buggy games but dam do they know how to make alot of fun content with some nice challanges (sometimes, they are hit or miss).

Sorrow
01-18-05, 03:21 PM
They make content, but the raids aren't very fun, and it's just a huge lag fest right now. They need to put in better gear and stuff. Like I said, I'm not quitting, just merely waiting for some more stuff to come out. Until then I'll probably play WoW, just because of PvP and old shool raid style.

edit: don't you hate it when you get really mad at a game, and then all of the sudden you realize that you don't wanna just throw him away :(
man, I hate when this happens, I want to raid, but no one ever raids much, *sighs* maybe I'll just get 50 and AFK for a while....PREDICAMENTS!!

killahsin
01-18-05, 04:13 PM
Believe it or not from my understanding the best quests and gear in eq2 have yet to be discovered.

Sorrow
01-18-05, 08:12 PM
Well, i went out and bought WoW, we'll see how it is...at least it'll give me something to do other than EQ2...I'm not in a rush to play EQ2 right now, I'm about 10% from 43 and there's still 4 months before the expansion pack; yep, I got enough time to get 60 in WoW and try out the pVp :D

edit: oh and the comment about me not knowing much about EQ1 and how there were only 2 dragons in the beginning; wronnnnngggggg. I played EQLive for nearly 4 years. And Vox and Naggy weren't the only mobs; you forgot about the Planes, i.e Air, Fear, Hate :) Oh and epics :P

|MaguS|
01-19-05, 01:57 AM
There were no planes at launch of EQ or epics, those released alittle later and epics came with kunark.

ChrisRay
01-19-05, 06:09 AM

Clerics were never useless in EQ 1. They just werent the ONLY healing class that could effectively heal after that patch. Which is more than fair. Druid/Shaman heals still couldnt touch a clerics healing capability but they were adequate. Because needing one class to do any content was ridiculous. People 95% of the time (with the exception of ldon) would prefer a cleric in all situations.

|MaguS|
01-19-05, 06:23 AM
Guess it was different on my server because clerics were always LFG on my server because druids/shamans were able to heal up to 7k HP which is more then enough in an xp group, in raids we nessecary but outside of one we weren't, I dont know how it is now in the new expansions since I left shortly after LDON. I have heard that mobs in xp encounters are alot tougher so maybe now clerics are useful again but when the "fix" went in originally lots of clerics had trouble getting groups outside of guild/friend ones.

BTW I was a lvl 65 Time Equiped Dwarf Cleric, Member of Affliction on Emarr.

Ghosthunter
01-19-05, 07:01 AM
Clerics were never useless in EQ 1. They just werent the ONLY healing class that could effectively heal after that patch. Which is more than fair. Druid/Shaman heals still couldnt touch a clerics healing capability but they were adequate. Because needing one class to do any content was ridiculous. People 95% of the time (with the exception of ldon) would prefer a cleric in all situations.

They werent useless, but the problem was you needed 10-12 active clerics in a raiding guild maybe now less...but you needed a high enough active clerics that when raids were done, there were not enough groups in the guild for all those clerics to get a group.

Ghosthunter
01-19-05, 07:02 AM
Well, i went out and bought WoW, we'll see how it is...at least it'll give me something to do other than EQ2...I'm not in a rush to play EQ2 right now, I'm about 10% from 43 and there's still 4 months before the expansion pack; yep, I got enough time to get 60 in WoW and try out the pVp :D

edit: oh and the comment about me not knowing much about EQ1 and how there were only 2 dragons in the beginning; wronnnnngggggg. I played EQLive for nearly 4 years. And Vox and Naggy weren't the only mobs; you forgot about the Planes, i.e Air, Fear, Hate :) Oh and epics :P

planes were not in the game for several months after EQ1 was released.

Ghosthunter
01-19-05, 07:03 AM
They make content, but the raids aren't very fun, and it's just a huge lag fest right now. They need to put in better gear and stuff. Like I said, I'm not quitting, just merely waiting for some more stuff to come out. Until then I'll probably play WoW, just because of PvP and old shool raid style.

edit: don't you hate it when you get really mad at a game, and then all of the sudden you realize that you don't wanna just throw him away :(
man, I hate when this happens, I want to raid, but no one ever raids much, *sighs* maybe I'll just get 50 and AFK for a while....PREDICAMENTS!!

lagfest? i was on my first raid in EQ2 in Antonica some drakota we were killing...and we had no lag whatsoever? I did not even have to turn any of my details down which i usually do when i was playing EQ1 and raiding.

Sorrow
01-19-05, 07:39 AM
lagfest? i was on my first raid in EQ2 in Antonica some drakota we were killing...and we had no lag whatsoever? I did not even have to turn any of my details down which i usually do when i was playing EQ1 and raiding.

you're a liar. You're one of those people that doesn't know what lag is then....

Ask anyone here, and read that THREAD AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE! Don't play stupid and act like you don't know what I'm talking about, you only look like a noob when there's a huge thread about it, a couple threads above this one. That is, unless you're playing on like high performance or something..even that will due to memory leaks.

|MaguS|
01-19-05, 07:48 AM
I don't lag in EQ2 or have any major performance problems...

Ghosthunter
01-19-05, 08:21 AM
you're a liar. You're one of those people that doesn't know what lag is then....

Ask anyone here, and read that THREAD AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE! Don't play stupid and act like you don't know what I'm talking about, you only look like a noob when there's a huge thread about it, a couple threads above this one. That is, unless you're playing on like high performance or something..even that will due to memory leaks.

I love it when people call me a liar or a noob becuase my system runs great when playing a game...I never get that. I know what lag is trust me...ever play Shadowbane? Ever try doing an assault on another city? What about UO when that game was first released talk about lag hell....even EQ1 when it was first released, they even gave us a free month..because lag and packet loss was so bad. In EQ1, I lag a lot in PoF and PoW and usually have all spell effects turned off...and even had to go to older models when raiding.

Why would I lie? Like I said in the above thread, not everyone with a 6800GT is having an issue. I am not denying there are issues, but whatever they are do not effect everyone with a 6800GT. Remember 90% of time you only see people post in EQ2 forums who have an issue...most people who have no issues dont even bother to post at all. The forums usually only contain a small part of the playerbase.

The only time I have an issue, is in the cities, with lots of people..and I get lots of hard drive thrashing due to the swap file and only having 1 GB ram. I bet if I added another GB of ram, I could elimintae that. But it does not bother me enough to do that.

Sorrow
01-19-05, 08:28 AM
gimme some demos and benchmarks please :D

then I'll say sorry and kiss you

Ghosthunter
01-19-05, 08:33 AM
gimme some demos and benchmarks please :D

then I'll say sorry and kiss you

how do I benchmark? I have not a clue...and there is no in game FPS or lag meter or anything,

i really dont worry if i am getting 30 FPS or 50 FPS..as long as it is playable with the graphics I like that all that matter to me.

|MaguS|
01-19-05, 08:34 AM
Recoding Demo's would make the point moot thanks to the overhead of recoding the demo, the player would chop up due to the encoding and not the game...

Sorrow
01-19-05, 09:21 AM
unless somehow he could run it on a box and somehow have the data recorded onto a separate box....never know that might work!

One other reason I'm going to start playing WoW is because of the Soon to Come BattleGrounds, the concept sounds great, I just hope it plays as well as the credit it's being given.