PDA

View Full Version : Second Life, a new way to enjoy online gaming?

Graphicmaniac
01-18-05, 03:14 PM
Reading somewhere some news about mmorpg world i have find one talking about a new game named Second Life

http://secondlife.com/

it seems to be an interesting games..but the point 3 of the F.A.Q leave me a bit :confused:

from the F.A.Q.:

1. What is Second Life?

A 3D digital world imagined, created and owned by its Residents. You can chat, play games, build houses, and go to parties, all with thousands of other people from around the world.

2. How much does Second Life cost?

Pay $9.95 and you'll have unlimited access to events, shopping, building, scripting -- everything you can do in Second Life.

3. Can I have my own land in Second Life?

If you decide you want a permanent structure in the world, like a house or a store, you can rent the land from us. You only pay for what you use, however, and a 512 square meter parcel of land only costs $9.95 per month.

You decide how much you want to pay per month. And you can decide to pay nothing at all.

4. What computer hardware do I need to live a Second Life?

PC specifications:

* Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 2 (32MB RAM) or higher, or ATI Radeon 8500 (32MB RAM) or higher
* Computer: 800MHZ or higher, 256MB RAM or more
* Internet Connection: Broadband (DSL/Cable Modem/LAN)
* DirectX 8 or 9

MAC specifications:

* Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 2 (32MB RAM) or higher, or ATI Radeon 9000 (32 MB RAM) or higher.
* Computer: 1 GHZ G4 or better, 512 MB RAM
* Internet Connection: Broadband (DSL/Cable Modem/LAN)

Please note: Second Life is not compatible with Windows 98/ME. Second Life cannot be played over a dialup connection.

5. Can I try Second Life before I buy?

You'll automatically get a 7-day free trial just by downloading and logging in.

6. Are there any limits to the trial version?

During your trial you'll have unlimited access to Second Life -- all its tools, events and communities.

7. When do I have to pay?

If you cancel before your trial expires you won't be billed. Otherwise, you will be charged for the plan you requested when you downloaded Second Life.

8. Are there any restrictions to trying Second Life?

You must be 18 years or older, you must have a valid credit card, and you can only get one free trial per credit card during a 90 day time period.

9. How do I get Second Life currency?

You'll be given a small amount of currency as part of your trial. If you decide to stay in Second Life, you'll get a regular 'allowance' of in-world currency. Plus you can earn more currency by making and selling things, holding events, or even playing games. Additional in-world currency can be purchased separately at websites like Gaming Open Market and IGE.

10. I don't know how to do 3D modeling. Does that mean I can't make things in Second Life?

Not at all. Building is easy, using built-in tools. And there are lots of Resident-run classes to help you learn.

11. I have a special project I want to do. How do I get enough space for it?

You can consider purchasing more land, either through the Second Life auctions or from other Residents. Alternatively you can join with others who are interested in the project, form a group, and pool your land holdings.

12. I've heard I can own an island in Second Life. Is that true?

Special island regions are available as a separate purchase. You can choose from several different topologies, control access from the mainland, or even decide to start your own separate community. Click here for more information.

13. What network ports does Second Life use?

Second Life needs to connect to ports 443/TCP, 12035/UDP, 12036/UDP, and 13000-13050/UDP. You should configure your firewall to allow outbound traffic on those ports, and related inbound traffic.

stncttr908
01-18-05, 03:33 PM
Are they for real? They're for real. This is hilarious.

BioHazZarD
01-18-05, 03:53 PM
looks really odd.

ynnek
01-18-05, 04:05 PM
I'd be only interested, if you can sneak and PK..

lmao

circuitbreaker8
01-18-05, 05:06 PM
I dont get it....<.<

Why dont people just go outside more lol

"OMG!! I can.....RENT stuff?!111"

brady
01-18-05, 07:00 PM
this sounds exactly like "there".