PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply advice..

Kapp
01-18-05, 04:56 PM
I recently purchased a case for a new system I built (AMD 64 3200+ socket 939) and it came with an Okia 500 Watt PSU. Apparently it's a cheap piece of crap, and I can't say i'm suprised since it came with the case, and it was only like 50 bucks. My question is this. Am I better off using the 500 Watt Okia, or a 350 watt Antec? I will be buying a new one next week, so it will only be for a short time.

Thanks!

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-18-05, 05:03 PM
if that okia runs perfect , why should have to change it :)

Rytr
01-18-05, 05:05 PM
It will probably work OK (if it doesn't you've got the 350W Antec), I just would not put much faith in long-term dependability or in stressing your system such as overclocking. Since you are upgrading psu's anyway I would give it a go until your new psu arrives.

Kapp
01-19-05, 03:21 PM
Will the 350 hold up? I have 3 fans and a front display thingy on the front of my case that lights up. I'm afraid if I use the 350, there won't be enough power, and if I use the 500, since it's such a piece of crap, it'll blow out. I read once the power supply goes, it can take components with it.

Kapp
01-19-05, 03:36 PM
Sorry about the double post.

Would be nice if you could delete your own posts :cool:

Rytr
01-19-05, 06:05 PM
If you are that concerned I would advise you to wait until you get a psu that you have more faith in.
Actually, the Antec and Enermax psu's that were offered sometime back were good in supplying power to overclocked systems at the time. If you look on the Antec's label you will see a +12V rating of 16-18A. If so that psu should supply adequate power for your system as an interim measure. Of course if your board requires the extra 4-pin power supply connector you need to make sure the psu has one...been so long I cannot remember but I think it does.

chile
01-20-05, 12:11 AM
better to go with proven performing psu's (i.e. antec, fortron, pcp&c)

Absolution
01-20-05, 01:44 AM
better to go with proven performing psu's (i.e. antec, fortron, pcp&c)
dont forget the mighty ocz

heh, i dont know... but ive seen a lot of people have issues with antecs... i think people just get them because they are "good" nothing more and everyone else has them...

jAkUp
01-20-05, 03:52 AM
Yea, I would take only OCZ or PCP&C

mustrum
01-20-05, 05:44 AM
Yea, I would take only OCZ or PCP&C
I second that.

chile
01-20-05, 03:57 PM
actually, i've been hearing a lot more positive reviews about fortron...i just don't have the $$ to get one at the moment...i've never had a problem with my antecs, e-max's or enlight....

adm
01-22-05, 03:19 PM
When it comes to the PSU, always Go with Qaulity. :) . I've seen Entire systems brought to the ground by a Bad PSU. GO for the Good StuFF...!!

zoomy942
01-22-05, 03:56 PM
yeah. go for quailty. i had a starlight 600W and it was okay, but i noticed much more system stability with an MGE 450W

saturnotaku
01-22-05, 04:21 PM
I have to once again put in my vote for Thermaltake. My 560W unit has been powering my systems 24/7 from the day I bought it, which was more than 6 months ago.

Clay
01-22-05, 04:28 PM
Do any of these relative newcomers to the PSU business actually design and manufacture their products or do they purchase the main components elsewhere and then just put their enclosure/branding on it?

Rytr
01-22-05, 05:11 PM
The best, like Antec, are subbed-out to manufacturers like Fortron or that is the way it was a few years ago. Now it seems Channel Well has a contract for Antec psu's. Seems like a lot are now being manufactured in China.

Clay
01-22-05, 08:38 PM
Interesting, thanks!

smthmlk.
01-22-05, 10:13 PM
Antec was the name in PSU's--great quality, could hang in there even with intense system demands for power. However, Antec realized they could ride their reputation and milk it for all its worth, and they've been putting out sh!t for some time now... I used to think it was just their newer cheaper PSU's that were garbage, and bought a TrueControl 550 for a system of mine only to have it spew smoke & make "crackling sounds" after 2 months of use in an xp2400mobile/9800pro 128mb/1 ide HD/1 cdrom/1 120mm case fan + 1 80mm case fan system (meaning: a very lite system for that PSU in every regard). I thought their higher end stuff would still be quality; i turned out to be very wrong. This in addition to a few friends of mine with Sonata cases whose 380w antec PSU's "smelled like burning rubber" and blew intensely hot air while the air inside the cases was cool. Junk? You better believe it. I cannot recommend a new antec PSU, but I still stand by the 2 older 350w antec's which continue to take a beating to this day.

Fortron source is where its at for price vs. quality. Cant be beat. Their 400w model w/ the 12cm fan is rock solid, have 2 of them my own systems (one which replaced that antec true control 550, works solid, though that system isnt much a strain on it or the older antec 350w i had as an interim psu) and have had family members buy the 350w fortrons as well, all solid performers, no problems. I recommend Fortron, OCZ, Enermax and PCP&C. I will not recommend any other.

Also, fortron makes the psu's for the 'sparkle' brand as well as some others, cant remember the name off hand.