PDA

View Full Version : large system cache good or bad???

j0j081
01-19-05, 02:22 AM
Is having a large system cache really a good tweak? I've read a lot of mixed opinions here in the forums and hope someone will set the record straight.

Salamandar
01-19-05, 02:30 AM
*Deleted my post*

Optimummind
01-19-05, 03:26 AM
Bad...especially if you have ATI card installed.

admiral1313
01-19-05, 06:18 AM
I agree.You should leave the option to "Programs".I have benchmarked a lot and I've seen no increase in system performance by using the large system cahe tweak.In fact,performance may actually drop theoretically,as most of your memory is reserved for caching and not for your programs.

ssj4goku887
01-19-05, 06:40 AM
depends how much memory you have.

K007
01-19-05, 06:55 AM
1 or 2 gb wont hurt, but if u plan to have 10gb...ure wasting, it dosen't really mattar really, today's pc's are pretty beefy, if u got 1gb of ram then maybe 1gb of cache is needed 2gb at most anything more is a waste, and it really wont effect your pc that much..unless ure hdd is like 5gb..most pc's today have have atleast 40gb most have over 300gb :)

j0j081
01-20-05, 12:16 AM
depends how much memory you have.
well i have 1 GB of RAM so where does that leave me?

Daneel Olivaw
01-20-05, 12:41 AM
I put 768 minimal, 1536 maximum. Cache expands as needed.

Clay
01-20-05, 12:55 AM
The ideal place to store your cache is on a separate physical HD if at all possible. If not, then the next best place is on a separate partition. The "what cache size is best" debate likely won't get cleared up anytime soon though. :)

j0j081
01-20-05, 03:55 AM
Okay now I am confused. I know all about swap/page files but my original question was regarding the setting for memory usage...programs or system cache. Default is programs but some tweaked drivers set it to system cache for you.

Daneel Olivaw
01-20-05, 02:20 PM
Okay now I am confused. I know all about swap/page files but my original question was regarding the setting for memory usage...programs or system cache. Default is programs but some tweaked drivers set it to system cache for you.oops, sorry. I'd say 'programs' then.

r2d2d3d4d5
01-20-05, 02:54 PM
You're supposed to set it system cache if you're running a server.

But I guess if you have a lot of RAM it might be a good idea to set it to system cache. Not sure how much is a lot of RAM in this case. But it probably depends on what kind of apps you are running.

Clay
01-20-05, 02:56 PM
Okay now I am confused. I know all about swap/page files but my original question was regarding the setting for memory usage...programs or system cache. Default is programs but some tweaked drivers set it to system cache for you.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse...just thought I'd offer some more information about page files and I also kind of mis-read your initial post. :) The last two posts are spot on to your question.

r2d2d3d4d5
01-20-05, 05:03 PM
I managed to find some benchmarks (http://arstechnica.com/tweak/nt/cache.html) (for NT4?). The guy's results are pretty impressive.

However there do seem to be issues with setting Memory Usage to System Cache (1 (http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4217.html), 2 (http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak2041.aspx)).

ssj4goku887
01-20-05, 10:38 PM
the issues with large system cache causing corruption is only with ati cards i had that problem the system wouldnt start when i first got my ati card.

Trippin
01-20-05, 11:04 PM
Try Processor scheduling set to Background services and Memory usage
set to System cache....Virtual memory set to zero No paging file ....I promise games will run faster and benches will go up Ive run xp like that for ever ..try it ..your benchies will increase :afro:

SLippe
01-21-05, 04:37 AM
Yeah right.

nIghtorius
01-21-05, 09:32 AM
Is it me or are you guys referring to the paging file? Since when is this a cache? I though cache where memorybuffers. for example Disk I/O (Windows Cache) or a small buffer of extraordinairy fast memory on the CPU's die to cache data & instructions (L1/L2/(L3) cache).

This is very confusing.

Clay
01-21-05, 10:10 AM
Is it me or are you guys referring to the paging file? Since when is this a cache? I though cache where memorybuffers. for example Disk I/O (Windows Cache) or a small buffer of extraordinairy fast memory on the CPU's die to cache data & instructions (L1/L2/(L3) cache).

This is very confusing.
You're right, the diversion to the page file is my fault. :o Sorry guys.

Pandora's Box
01-21-05, 10:32 AM
You're right, the diversion to the page file is my fault. :o Sorry guys.

an admin goes offtopic, one for the history books? ;)

anyway, i would leave it as it is, your not going to get that big of a fps boost from it. maybe 1-2fps.

Clay
01-21-05, 10:40 AM
an admin goes offtopic, one for the history books? ;):spank: :D

anyway, i would leave it as it is, your not going to get that big of a fps boost from it. maybe 1-2fps.Seconded, any potential gains would be negligible.

RobHague
01-21-05, 12:31 PM
:spank: :D

Seconded, any potential gains would be negligible.

Every little bit helps, 'suck it and see' or in other words - try it and see what happens, cos it wont break anything - at worst you change it back and reboot. ;)

SLippe
01-21-05, 06:26 PM
I used to always have Memory usage set to System Cache...until the demo of Painkiller wouldn't run right with it checked that way. I've had it set to Programs every since. I've always heard to have it set to System Cache for better performance, but I don't know, doesn't really seem to help all that much.