PDA

View Full Version : What the hell.. HL2 IS installed..

ChrisRay
01-19-05, 02:05 AM
*sigh* I dont know what they want me to do at this point. HL2 and steam are installed yet its still wont let me play it till I register it..

Darkoz
01-19-05, 07:13 AM
Looks like Steam is being a bitch as usual......

Ninjaman09
01-19-05, 07:53 AM
Damn man, that would really irk me. I am a little surprised at all the hoops the retail owners have to jump through just to play the game, it's in pretty poor taste in my opinion.

Rakeesh
01-19-05, 08:34 AM
I had to go through that **** so many times before I was finally able to enter the cdkey...The gayest part is that once it accepts the cdkey, it allows you to install HL2 on any computer via a steam download and you don't even need the CD's after that. Stupidest concept ever.

|MaguS|
01-19-05, 08:37 AM
I had to go through that **** so many times before I was finally able to enter the cdkey...The gayest part is that once it accepts the cdkey, it allows you to install HL2 on any computer via a steam download and you don't even need the CD's after that. Stupidest concept ever.

No actually pretty smart concept. I mean, If you install steam and download HL2 on 3 PC's only one of them can be playing HL2/CS:S at any given time. Kinda forces players to follow the EULA. :o

Sorrow
01-19-05, 09:29 AM
My friend, who wil remain anonymous, tried to be smart and use his picture phone and take a picture of the CD-key in a store for HL2. After finally making out the letters and numbers were got the CD-key right only to find out that you needed the CD! This, my friends, is why they do this. Unlike when they first had steam out, you didn't need a CD then. Having to have the CD keeps from people doing what my friend did :P

Rakeesh
01-19-05, 09:39 AM
No actually pretty smart concept. I mean, If you install steam and download HL2 on 3 PC's only one of them can be playing HL2/CS:S at any given time. Kinda forces players to follow the EULA. :o

Actually no it does not, and I have personally verified this. I installed HL2 on my current computer, and then used that same steam account to install HL2 on my other computer without even using the CD's. Provided that steam couldn't connect to the internet, both computers could play HL2 single player at the same time, and play over the lan as well.

My friend, who wil remain anonymous, tried to be smart and use his picture phone and take a picture of the CD-key in a store for HL2. After finally making out the letters and numbers were got the CD-key right only to find out that you needed the CD! This, my friends, is why they do this. Unlike when they first had steam out, you didn't need a CD then. Having to have the CD keeps from people doing what my friend did :P

Theres actually a way around this as well, steam only looks for a certain registry value to be set after the HL2 install is finished, it doesn't care about anything else. All you'd have to do is make sure that value is set and then you can do this anyways.

ChrisRay
01-20-05, 09:16 PM
I did manage to get it installed. 3rd install. But TBH this game reminds me of HL1 with pixel shaders and better textures..

jbirney
01-21-05, 02:39 PM
But TBH this game reminds me of HL1 with pixel shaders and better textures..

No offence ment, but to be honest, I think thats a good thing when you consider how well HL1 was viewed as a game by most (granted I am sure some poeple hated HL1). I guees valve followed the not broke dont fix it idea...

Jocomp10
01-21-05, 04:43 PM
I did manage to get it installed. 3rd install. But TBH this game reminds me of HL1 with pixel shaders and better textures..

Yeah I wasn't overly impressed with the game espicialy after It took like two hours to get it instaled and working, I had the same problem as you. However, you know what upsets me most is that people who pirated the game probaly had less trouble getting it set up and working than the paying customer.

ChrisRay
01-21-05, 11:57 PM
No offence ment, but to be honest, I think thats a good thing when you consider how well HL1 was viewed as a game by most (granted I am sure some poeple hated HL1). I guees valve followed the not broke dont fix it idea...

I just dont think this game is anymore ground breaking or better than Doom 3. I didnt think Doom 3 was that good either. But I dont think HL2 has been worthy of its ratings either. So far anyway.

Treason
01-23-05, 07:15 PM
Just curious if you also have Half Life 2 installed on your second gaming system. If you have, was it easier to install, i.e. no problems, seeing you have an ATi video card in it?

It's probably nothing though... :confused:

jbirney
01-24-05, 04:26 PM
I just dont think this game is anymore ground breaking or better than Doom 3. I didnt think Doom 3 was that good either. But I dont think HL2 has been worthy of its ratings either. So far anyway.

I can buy that. I don't think its ground breaking from a techincal stand point but I do find the different enviroments that your play in more fun then Doom3's same ol same ol. But again thats just my opinion...