PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube or DS: decisions, decisions

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
01-19-05, 05:57 PM
I'm in the mood of buying myself an early birthday present. I've decided not to buy a new MP3 player (I've ghetto rigged my old one so it works again) and instead would like to get either a Gamecube or a DS. I like the DS for its portability and such, but I can get a 'Cube with the Mario Kart bundle for $85 brand new. I do enjoy Toadstool Tour tremendously, plus there are quite a few other good games for this system.

What would you do?

stncttr908
01-19-05, 06:00 PM
I say a GameCube, but then again I'm not much of a portable gamer. I think a PSP would be a better handheld investment down the road, and $85 is a damn good price for a Cube and Mario Kart DD.

MustangSVT
01-19-05, 06:08 PM
I would buy a XBOX. Well actually, I'm not a big fan of Nintendo games. I don't like the DS that much. I mean I guess it's cool for a handheld but the games aren't that marvelling.

Like for example, look at Ridge Racer DS, and then look at Ridge Racers on PSP. The PSP game looks much deepe. The more power probably results in better tracks and better physics and such. However, I wouldn't buy a PSP or a DS myself :p .

The XBOX is my only console ever and I got it for some racing.

If you don't have a XBOX yet, here's what you should base decisions on b/t GC and XBOX (imho).

GameCube: exclusive nintendo titles, like zelda, mario, super smash brothers, metroid, other games are f-zero gx, tales of symphonia, starfox, mario kart, no online, cheap, less 3rd party support than ps2/xbox

Xbox: many racing games and first person shooter, online but costs money (alternate free service though), easy to mod and make into media player, doesn't need memory card, slightly more expensive than gamecube, generally more "action" games than gamecube like ninja gaiden, more 3rd party support but no nintendo games

DS (just for sakes): kind of weak selection of games at the moment (imo), mostly remakes of 64 games, n64 graphic with bit lower res (smaller screen), touchpad, can play multiplayer wireless and pictochat, but you need to find someone else with DS and stay close to them, not a very impressive selection of games coming out for it (imo), can play any GBA game.

BTW, I voted for GameCube in the poll. I think that you'll enjoy games on GC like F-Zero GX, StarFox, Resident Evil 4 and Madden 2005 much more than games on DS.

SH64
01-19-05, 06:11 PM
Between the 2 .. i'd pick the Cube .

Fatman
01-19-05, 06:45 PM
Add some options to the poll. PSP, Xbox.

I know this is OT, but I really think GC is a waste of money. Xbox is a much better system, more cool games to choose from, man size controllers, online mutliplayer, the whole package.

DS is an option as far as portables go, but why settle for overclocked GB SP? PSP is a much better choice IMO.

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic, I feel that your not getting best-bang-per-buck with GC and DS.

stncttr908
01-19-05, 06:58 PM
Add some options to the poll. PSP, Xbox.

I know this is OT, but I really think GC is a waste of money. Xbox is a much better system, more cool games to choose from, man size controllers, online mutliplayer, the whole package.

DS is an option as far as portables go, but why settle for overclocked GB SP? PSP is a much better choice IMO.

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic, I feel that your not getting best-bang-per-buck with GC and DS.
If you've got four controllers and three friends, the GameCube is one of the finest systems to own. I can't even begin to recall all the times that I've walked into a buddy's room on my floor and found a bunch of them in there playing Mario Kart DD, Donkey Konga, Mario Golf, Mario Party, etc.

MustangSVT
01-19-05, 07:19 PM
You should see the multiplayer games for Xbox.

Gotham 2, Halo 1 and Halo 2, Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven, ESPN NFL series, Dead or Alive, Burnout 3, Crimson Skies, Rainbow Six, Rallisport, Quantum Redshift and others (none of these are on GameCube).

Basically, you should look at list of games on xbox and gamecube if you have to choose between the two (if you dont arleady have an xbox). I bought the xbox cause it has more racing games, has that Pro Evolution Soccer game and more first person shooters. Gamecube has some unique games too like Super Smash Brothers, so look into that. :cool:

GlowStick
01-19-05, 07:27 PM
Id say DS why?

Because it can do something that the PC cant. ; )

Mr. Hunt
01-19-05, 07:43 PM
Gamecube... get it, Wind Waker, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4, and Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and love it ;).

Vash
01-19-05, 09:13 PM
I'd say the Cube - simply because there's a plenty of great games for it that are already out. With the DS, the great games haven't come yet. I'm probably going to be getting a DS or PSP, but it depends entirely upon the games that come out for them... and there aren't really that many out there yet. I had the chance to play the DS recently for quite a bit of time, and I found I was playing GBA games more often than Mario 64 DS simply because the screen/speakers are better than the SP.

Seeing as Sat already has a Xbox, it reduces the question a bit. But bringing up the PS2 is a valid point - as long as his roomie doesn't have one, which I can't remember for the life of me atm.

Edge
01-19-05, 09:16 PM
Lets see...Gamecube has RE4, DS doesn't. The choice is clear.

Seriously though, I'd definatly go with the Gamecube. It's cheaper, has more games (and better games), and is actually able to take advantage of your existing entertainment system. The DS is portable, but how much that matters to you is dependant on how often you find yourself sitting around doing nothing (I actually sold my GBA because the only time I used it was the occasional car trip where I wasn't driving). Plus the DS will be more easilly emulated...*cough* ;)

BTW, I'm pretty sure Saturnotaku already has an Xbox, as his avatar is from an Xbox game and he has an Xbox Live gamertag ;) (edit: bah, beaten to it...guess that's what I get for taking so long to write my posts). Which reminds me Sat...are you ever going to get on Xbox Live again (didn't you not have broadband for a while or something)? I sent you a friends request like 2 months ago and still haven't gotten a response, heh.

Ghosthunter
01-19-05, 09:20 PM
If you dont see yourself playing portable a lot..then get Gamecube...

But myself I only play portable when it comes to consoles..because every game I enjoy plays and looks lot better on my PC..so my PS2 is just sitting there eating dust.

MustangSVT
01-19-05, 09:56 PM
Ok, so he has an XBOX already, that's cool. In this case, I would definetly buy the GameCube. I have an XBOX myself too. I would have bought both longer ago if I had a job, but I'm just 17 right now and I don't actually have any money to buy another console.

Here's why you should the GameCube.

F-Zero GX
- great arcade racer, kewl sense of speed and good multiplayer

Resident Evil 4
- great 3rd person action game

Super Smash Bros. Melee
- unique fighting game, lots of fun

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II and III
- great arcade shooters

Mario Kart Double Dash!
- very fun kart racer

saturnotaku
01-19-05, 11:36 PM
Folks, I'm not trying to bash anyone here, but if I was considering any other option, I would have added it to the poll. There are only two choices here for a reason. As was pointed out I already have an Xbox (damn fine console I might add). I have zero interest in the PS2 except for maybe GT4. I know there are plenty of great games for the Cube. I saw some videos of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent and it looked very impressive. I'll also probably pick up Soul Caliber 2, swap out my Xbox Burnout 2 for the GC version and some other titles. I have no interest in Resident Evil or Star Wars, but I think I could find plenty of other stuff to keep me entertained on that console without stepping too much on my Xbox or PC's toes. Plus I can use most of my roommate's GC games so that will save me a bit of money in the short term.

BTW, Edge, I'm not on Live any more. Long story, PM me if you want the details. :(

MustangSVT
01-20-05, 12:19 AM
Well uhm, first of all Goldeneye Rogue Agent sucks. Why would you swap out your XBOX version of Burnout 2 for the GC version? XBOX is known to have the better graphics than GameCube and better controls for racing games and first person games specifically (fact, not opinion). :confused:

I take it you haven't seen Resident Evil 4. It got 9.6 from GameSpot and 9.8 from IGN. It's completely different than any other RE game before. It's a 3rd person action game where you control your guy like in a platformer with a close camera, and it's not with crappy zombies.

Plus, Rogue Agent, Soul Calibur II etc. are on XBOX already. Burnout 3 for example is on XBOX but not on GameCube, and tons better than Burnout 2. Sounds to me like you don't know about the good GC games.

Take a look at Resident Evil 4 videos and F-Zero GX videos on GameSpot. You shouldn't be looking at games like SC2 which is HDTV on XBOX, or Rogue Agent (which sucks the big one and is on XBOX anyway). You should be looking at the GC exclusives.

jAkUp
01-20-05, 12:54 AM
Gamecube cuz Resident Evil 4 :D

saturnotaku
01-20-05, 08:34 AM
I'm going to trade in my Xbox copy of Burnout 2 because I can take advantage of extra trade-in credit when I move out the other Xbox games I want to get rid of. I'll probably ditch Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden as well. After beating both of those games, I don't really have a desire to play them again, especially since I'm not on Live any more. That way I can defray the cost of the hardware even further and be able to afford more games.

Ninjaman09
01-20-05, 08:46 AM
I'm going to trade in my Xbox copy of Burnout 2 because I can take advantage of extra trade-in credit when I move out the other Xbox games I want to get rid of. I'll probably ditch Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden as well. After beating both of those games, I don't really have a desire to play them again, especially since I'm not on Live any more. That way I can defray the cost of the hardware even further and be able to afford more games.
I actually just traded my X-Box in for more games. The only game I really enjoyed on that system was Knights of the Old Republic and now I have the (better) PC version. Halo and Halo 2 are OK games, not great but OK, and I just lost interest in them. Same story with Ninja Gaiden. I felt the same way you did about them - once I beat them, my interest dwindled.

You should REALLY try Resident Evil 4. I've never been a Resident Evil fan, but I decided to give this one a shot and I'm really glad I did. It's an awesome game, and very unlike its rather boring predecessors. If you are going to get a Gamecube (which you definitely should), you need to pick up Metroid Prime. It's only $20, you have no excuse not to. It's by far the best game on the system. If you never played Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, that's an awesome RPG to play. Mario Kart: DD is of course spectacular as well.

saturnotaku
01-20-05, 12:42 PM
I'm not planning on getting rid of my Xbox. I want to re-acquire Burnout 3, plus you know I'm the most rabid Dead or Alive fan on this board so my copies of DOAX and Ultimate will stay. I also love Shenmue II, and my system serves as a DVD player since the DVD/VCR combo my roommate has sucks. I'll probably wait a few weeks to get RE4 as I may be able to pick up a used copy and save 10% with my EB card. Double Dash will be good, I'm also going to get Mario Golf if I can find a used copy.

Edge
01-20-05, 04:20 PM
As a major Resident Evil fanboy, I can say with confidence that RE4 shouldn't really be considered an "RE" game. Oh sure it has a few characters from the old RE games and a couple of "puzzles" (which are extremely simplistic and nowhere near as complex as the old RE puzzles), but aside from that they could've called it Zombie May Cry and it would've been just as acurate a description. So don't let the fact that it has the words "Resident Evil" in the title scare you, it's pretty much an RE game by name alone. But it really is a great game, I'm easilly having just as much fun with it, if not more, as I did with Half-life 2 and Halo 2.

Although...I'd still recommend against trading in most of those games. You won't get much for them (MAYBE a little more for Halo 2, but probably not much more than what a Player's Choice game would be for Gamecube, and you can buy those for $15), and there's pretty much no reason to get the GC versions rather than keeping the Xbox versions. I couldn't live without the custom soundtracks in Burnout 2. But, I would recommend you check out a few pawn shops to see if you can get any cheap stuff, I picked up a Gamecube with the Zelda collector's disc for $50 about 6 months ago from one of my local pawn shops. Might end up being a much cheaper way to get a Gamecube and games than to trade in older games. Oh, and a bit off topic, but since it's $20 now I'd recommend Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders for the Xbox ;)

WeReWoLf
01-20-05, 06:37 PM
Don't judge Goldeneye: RA until you have played it. I love it coz it's so cool, but there are a few people out there that don't like it. (weird :P) I vote GCN coz it's cheap and has quite a few good games for it.

MustangSVT
01-20-05, 08:14 PM
Considering every review of Rogue Agent I've seen gives it around 60%, it's probably one of those that 1 in 1000 in people will think is OK. It's definetly not one of those picky ones where a person might love it and another might hate it. The game definetly has flaws and I suggest staying away from it and saving your money. I'd rather play Timesplitters much much more than Rogue Agent.

saturnotaku
01-20-05, 11:16 PM
I ended up saving myself some extra $$$ and bought a used GC. It's just as well because I really don't like the platinum color that much, and the new EB that opened in one of the local shopping centers had a black one that was in really good shape, only minor wear and no dust on the fan. They were on sale for $60, with my game trade-ins, got the system and a memory card for $20 including tax. Now to slowly add games as I go. :)

PSYCHODAD
01-21-05, 01:22 AM
My vote would be for the GC also, enjoy.

EciDemon
01-21-05, 02:52 AM
Congrats on yer new console :)
Im confident that you will have a blast with it.

As mentioned before, Metroid Prime should be one of your first picks. Its avalible as Players choise (meaning its cheaper)
Let me list you other great GC games:
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil 1 (remake). I cant comment on RE4 as its not released here yet
MGS Twin Snakes
Zelda Windwalker
Eternal Darkness, Gfx are quite poor in this game as it was originaly intended for the N64, but the game it self is great. Story is told in a refreshingly nasty way ;)
Metroid Prime Echoes.

Unfortunatly there isnt nearly as many games for GC as it is for PS2 and Xbox, and many of the GC games are kiddie games (pokemon etc etc) But the selected few good games are really great.

I bought my GC a year ago just to plat Metriod Prime. Man it was so worth it :)
well, Happy gameing!