PDA

View Full Version : Can't install my NV5 *snif snif*

wrugoin
01-20-05, 02:00 AM
I'm so upset that I want to cry! :(

On a whim, while purchasing some casefans and other case stuff, I found that the website was selling the NV5 at a cheap $21.95 so I decided that I should have one for my Chaintech SA6800 (Stock 6800NU) I got myself all worked up about it thinking about how much higher I can overclock my card with the exceptional cooling the NV5 will provide. SOooooo,

I got my NV Silencer 5 yesterday and was all ready to install it today when I look at my videocard and realize that I can't install it with this card. I'd have to rip off the heatsinks that are glued to the memory. I gave them a hard tug, and tried to pry them lose with a screwdriver, without breaking the card, and found that they're firmly secured. So, either I find a way to remove the memory heatsinks and risk breaking the card, or I send it back. I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion or easy way to remove the heatsinks so I can install it. (By the way, the bios has been flashed and overclocked, so the warranty is void anyway)

So, if anyone else had this problem with their NV5 installation, please send some suggestions.

I include a picture of this card as an attachment.

bkswaney
01-20-05, 02:09 AM
I'm so upset that I want to cry! :(

On a whim, while purchasing some casefans and other case stuff, I found that the website was selling the NV5 at a cheap $21.95 so I decided that I should have one for my Chaintech SA6800 (Stock 6800NU) I got myself all worked up about it thinking about how much higher I can overclock my card with the exceptional cooling the NV5 will provide. SOooooo,

I got my NV Silencer 5 yesterday and was all ready to install it today when I look at my videocard and realize that I can't install it with this card. I'd have to rip off the heatsinks that are glued to the memory. I gave them a hard tug, and tried to pry them lose with a screwdriver, without breaking the card, and found that they're firmly secured. So, either I find a way to remove the memory heatsinks and risk breaking the card, or I send it back. I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion or easy way to remove the heatsinks so I can install it. (By the way, the bios has been flashed and overclocked, so the warranty is void anyway)

So, if anyone else had this problem with their NV5 installation, please send some suggestions.

I include a picture of this card as an attachment.

Yep... Those things can be murder to get off.
They use some tuff glue to put them on.

If I were u I would just be happy with the cooling
you already have.
That type cooling setup works really well. :)

Lostfaith
01-20-05, 02:26 AM
heating them up with a hairblow dryer works better before removing, it loosens the thermal glue a bit I've heard... but i can't give you any guarantees it will work in your case, and of course BE VERY CAREFUL!

Toss3
01-20-05, 02:38 AM
hmm don't try to rip 'em loose :-S I ended up with a ti4400 without some memory :D the whole thing came loose :) didn't work after that... so I'd recommend that you 1)blow dry it before you try to rip it off 2) just leave it as it is...

wrugoin
01-20-05, 02:44 AM
heating them up with a hairblow dryer works better before removing, it loosens the thermal glue a bit I've heard... but i can't give you any guarantees it will work in your case, and of course BE VERY CAREFUL!

Just thinking, If I give this a try, will I be able to get the rest of the glue off the memory so I can apply my AS Ceramic compound? Will this stuff come off easily?

Lostfaith
01-20-05, 03:06 AM
I'm not 100% sure about this issue, I read it some time ago on a modding site...Try googling on it before you try anything.

Lostfaith
01-20-05, 03:32 AM
lol, it could also be the other way around, but temps are the key to loosen the sinks:

http://www.gzhq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1756&highlight=glue

mustrum
01-20-05, 04:39 AM
I had sinks on my memory applied with Zalman glue before i changed to my all in one waterblock. No way to get it off by heating up with hairdryer.
Put the card in a plastic bag and throw it into the fridge.
When it'S cold enough the sinks will be easy to remove.
Don't come and shout at me when you kill your card in the process though. ;)

rudedog
01-20-05, 06:22 AM
One more word of advice, Don't pull gently twist off.

Morn
01-20-05, 06:46 AM
Maybe... you could cut up the NV5 and remove the areas that go over the ram? :)

wrugoin
01-20-05, 07:58 AM
Maybe... you could cut up the NV5 and remove the areas that go over the ram? :)

That'd be much more work then I'm willing to put into the project. Plus, I don't have nearly the skills to cut and refab the copper plate and fins. Just a techy college kid.

SO!!! I'm thinking I may try to remove those bastard H-sinks. If I can get the ram heatsinks off, I'll go though with it all. Now, I have a few saying that I should heat it up with a hair dryer and another saying that I should try to cool them down in the fridge.... The only thing I care about in the process is not destroying the card. (Yeah, I know, then I shouldn't be doing this at all)

BENCHMARKMAN
01-20-05, 08:42 AM
Heat with a hair dryer. Tried pulling my Radeon 9700 heatsink off and it wouldn't budge. Heated it with a hair dryver for about 90 seconds and i touched the heatsink and it fell off.

Salamandar
01-20-05, 08:45 AM

I 2bd that, use a hair dryer and try to heat them to 50 ~ 60 C and then you'll be able to remove them, I had to do the same with my Gigabyte card.

wrugoin
01-20-05, 10:50 PM
I 2bd that, use a hair dryer and try to heat them to 50 ~ 60 C and then you'll be able to remove them, I had to do the same with my Gigabyte card.

Now I'm not an expert in circuitry or electronics, but can heating the card up to 50 - 60 C hurt anything else on the circuit board such as those transistor things next to the ram on the right?

Lostfaith
01-21-05, 12:28 AM
^I doubt that, as there is no current running, most electronical devices can withstand higher temp fluctuations without taking damage. see most packaging of small electronic devices...
again i'm not 100% sure if it is true in this case, but I've seen power ciruitry on a vidcard/mobo going 75+celsius temps in reviews sites... don't remember if it was hardocp or techreport or...)