PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat 9 bootup screen distortion

Cold Canuck
01-20-05, 12:37 PM
For the first time since I installed an nVidia GForce FX 5700 LE video card, I went to boot into Red Hat 9 (previous card was GForce 4 MX440).

After electing to delete the old display card's config, I followed through on the boot up, only to be faced with vertical distortion of the displayed graphics to the point that I can't even navigate the main menu system.

On a subsequent reboot, RH9 did not seem to notice the different adapter, nor ask me for instructions as to it's need to be configured.

As a result of the distortion, I can't even make the necessary hardware config changes while in RH9.

All RHN updates were current until Red Hat decided to drop the free updates.

I'm new to linux in any form and was using RH9 as a bit of a teaching tool, so please be gentle with me.

How can I get this linux distro to recognize and/or fix the display problem?

Cheers, eh...

Cold canuck

Sorry for putting this in the wrong forum, I've tried to delete it but was unable to...told that i didn't have permission to do so.

robhancock
01-29-05, 09:07 PM
Were you using the NVIDIA drivers on the old card, or the default nv driver that comes with X? I don't think the version of the nv driver that comes with RH9 will support that card, you'd have to either update XFree86 or install the NVIDIA Linux driver.

$n][pErMan
01-30-05, 02:18 AM
As a result of the distortion, I can't even make the necessary hardware config changes while in RH9.
Yes you can. Press this key combo when you think its on the screen it should be on "Alt-Ctrl-F1". This will bring up text mode and from there you can make changes to the config or install the nvidia drivers if you have them :) "Alt-Ctrl-F7" will get you back to graphical mode.... assuming RH9.0 does that. 8.0 did... and im using Fedora Core 2 now and it does it... so I assume RH9 does :-p