PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Z-5300s

superklye
01-20-05, 12:39 PM
These speakers are incredible and are a HUGE step-up from the Z-640s.

I was playing CS:S last night and had the volume waaaaay down, and the woofer is turned down as far as I can get it to and the neighbors downstairs (we have a duplex) were FURIOUSLY banging on the ceiling for me to turn it down/off.

I love these speakers.

einstein_314
01-20-05, 06:04 PM
I know what you mean. I've got a set of them as well and I love them!! :D

extreme4377
01-20-05, 07:01 PM
schweet! Glad to see your enjoying em man. Have fun with em. Im loving my 5500s :)

YOGIx213
01-20-05, 07:23 PM
I'm planning on getting the z5500's but saw how cheap the z5300's are and want to know what the sound quality difference might be (I know the 5500's have a stronger bass but bass isn't my biggest concern). If the difference isn't that large, I may save the extra 100 bucks and get the 5300's.

I also read in some reviews about the hissing sounds from the speakers of some logitechs and also read in a review from PC Gamer that the 5500's eliminated that problem. Do the 5300's suffer from that hiss?

One last question, how do the Logitech speakers play with the Creative control panel? Are there any known issues as far as compatibility with my Audigy 2ZS and Surround Sound?

Thanks!

extreme4377
01-20-05, 09:34 PM
I can actually feel and hear a difference between the two. The 5300s are incredible but the 5500s are just downright insane. If youre short on cash Id say go for the 5300s but if youve got the money, might as well get the 5500s as they are top notch.

As for any hissing noise, none on the 5300s and none with the 5500s.

Audigy 2 ZS and Z-5500s play very nicely together. No problems here. My friend has the 5500s and an audigy 2 and hes got no problems

DiaBlo666
01-20-05, 10:19 PM
i cant think of a better bass than the ones in the z-5300.. for god sake with the volume down on the bass it still provide better low sounds than other brand's bass (like altec lansing) and i cant believe the z-5500 has almost double the bass power.. i'm getting those speakers for sure.. i like how ppl get pissed off the power of my speakers :D

einstein_314
01-20-05, 10:26 PM
I also read in some reviews about the hissing sounds from the speakers of some logitechs and also read in a review from PC Gamer that the 5500's eliminated that problem. Do the 5300's suffer from that hiss?

No hiss on my 5300's. They sound superb.

One last question, how do the Logitech speakers play with the Creative control panel? Are there any known issues as far as compatibility with my Audigy 2ZS and Surround Sound?

I've got an Audigy 2ZS and I've had no issues. Everything works as it should.

cant think of a better bass than the ones in the z-5300.. for god sake with the volume down on the bass it still provide better low sounds than other brand's bass (like altec lansing) and i cant believe the z-5500 has almost double the bass power..

I know what you mean. I have the bass set to half of it's default value and it is still overpowering at times. All round great speakers. Especially with the price drop now that the 5500's have come out. :D

superklye
01-20-05, 10:28 PM
schweet! Glad to see your enjoying em man. Have fun with em. Im loving my 5500s :)
Oh man, I don't even want to think about how insane those must sound...digital AND 505w total power. JEOMK.

I am pretty sure the guys downstairs would kill me if I had those. But that's okay, they're drug dealers, play their ****ty music at all hours and our house always reeks of weed (it comes up through the vents and stuff), so this is payback. :)

superklye
01-20-05, 10:31 PM
No hiss on my 5300's. They sound superb.
Same here...no hiss, just crystal clear sound. :)

I've got an Audigy 2ZS and I've had no issues. Everything works as it should.
I've got a Live! 5.1 and for whatever reason, setting games to 5.1 causes me to have NO sound at all...I don't think it's the speakers, it's the card since the same thing happened with my old Z-640s. Stupid Live! card. :mad:

I know what you mean. I have the bass set to half of it's default value and it is still overpowering at times. All round great speakers. Especially with the price drop now that the 5500's have come out. :D
haha...same here...the bass is RIDICULOUS! When I have the volume on the third light, my keyboard shelf rattles and I can feel the bass drum and sometimes even the snare in my hands while typing. I love this!

Shamrock
01-20-05, 10:51 PM
I have the 5300s, and I love mine too!

but one question...this button "Matrix" what exactly does it do? I CAN tell a difference, but does it just revert to stereo if it is in the OFF position? I cant tell, as I've had an ear infection, and cant hear out of one ear...

superklye
01-20-05, 11:04 PM
It's weird: when it's off, it's in 5.1 but on, it's 2.1. On my Z-640s, when it was off, it was 4.1 and on 5.1.

YOGIx213
01-20-05, 11:21 PM
Still haven't decided between the two but I'm leaning more towards the 5500's. The speakers I get, I want to set up as my home theatre with my PC, DVD player, and TV. I have a current setup with some Creative 6.1 Inspire speakers (got them for cheap and they work decently) but want to get something that has much better quality and a remote control.

There's some good deals on the 5500's like at newegg ($279.00 minus shipping and tax, or $285.00 flat from Monarch somputers. I think I'll be happy with either the 5300's or 5500's based on all of your responses.

superklye
01-20-05, 11:35 PM
Get the 5500s...they are Digital, have a remote and are near twice as powerful (280w for the 5300s and 505w for the 5500s).

DiaBlo666
01-21-05, 12:12 AM
the bass is a WAY overpowered at lvl 3 on the wired control.. you cant hear all kind of music on that lvl of volume.. you need to turn down to the first green to become pleasant.. other than that the speakers sound superb.
the matrix button is to "emulate" 5.1 sound.. its 2.1 trying to do 5.1 nothing more..

superklye
01-21-05, 12:17 AM
So then, how do you get true 5.1? I have the speakers set for it on the back of the woofer, I don't get what else it is I need to do to get true 5.1. :-\

einstein_314
01-21-05, 01:14 AM
To have true 5.1, you need the switch on the sub set to 5.1. You also need to have 5.1 coming from your sound card, which your live 5.1 does support. and have the matrix button OFF.

The matrix button is for if you have a 4 or 2 channel source going into the sub (so the switch is set to 4 or 2 on the back of the sub). It will then upmix the source to 5.1 surround. If you have 5.1 going into the sub, i'm not sure exactly what it does when you use the matrix button, but it does something. Because I have my speaker configuration set to 5.1 in the control panel, it automatically upmixes stereo sources (music and such) to 5.1 before it gets to the sub so I don't use the upmix at all.

superklye
01-21-05, 01:16 AM
damn it all...I guess for now I'm stuck using Matrix mode then because for whatever reason HL2 and CS:S and pretty much every other game refuse to believe I have 5.1 sound, even though I do and have Windows set to be 5.1.

When I put 5.1 in games, I lose all sound. And in HL2 and CS:S, changing in-game to 2 speakers changes Windows to 2 speakers.

extreme4377
01-21-05, 01:40 AM
Z-5500s on Amazon.com. Wait for the price to drop again. I got em for 307 w/ free shipping and no tax and then they dropped to 280 w/ free shipping and no tax so I emailed em and they gave me a refund. I think they went back up to 300 again tho.

Glad youre enjoying em super!

superklye
01-21-05, 01:56 AM
Glad youre enjoying em super!
hehe, that's putting it lightly. ;)

You're the man, Andrew...thanks again for these. I love 'em and I can only imagine how much better the 5500s are.

DiaBlo666
01-21-05, 06:05 PM
then you got a problems with your soundcard superklye.. or maybe with the drivers.. cuz in hl2 i can get 5.1 with no problems and with divx/xvid movies too.

Shamrock
01-21-05, 09:16 PM
I have an Audigy 2 Plat,so I can leave Matrix turned on :)

_Thanatos_
01-22-05, 05:04 AM
Well, I don't know purpose of z-5500.
Z-5300 are powerfull and I keep them at lvl 1-3 on that wired controler.
I thought about z-5500, but they are too powerfull for use in room.

Rakeesh
01-22-05, 09:26 AM
THX certification isn't given lightly, and only the best audio systems can get it. That is a pretty good price for a THX certified speaker set.

crainger
01-22-05, 06:05 PM
THX certification isn't given lightly, and only the best audio systems can get it. That is a pretty good price for a THX certified speaker set.

Remeber theres THX, then theres THX Multimedia... Its not hard for a set to get the the Multimedia rating. However the 5.1 Logitechs all have the full THX rating as far as I know. Well the ones that claim to do :rolleyes:

I remember a friend of mine had some 2.1 speakers, a decent brand (I have forgotten now) and they were branded with the THX logo and they were kinda poor. Turns out they had gained the Multimedia rating only.

I have the Z680 set, I choose those over the newly released 5500 set due to the fact the were 50% cheaper do to a sale. These were the set with the hiss everyone heard about. As I have a newer revision the hiss is pretty much gone, can just hear it close up, but I have a large desk so the speakers aren't that close to me. Later on I plan to replace them with the 5500 and move the z680s in to my DVD player
:afro:

superklye
01-22-05, 08:08 PM
then you got a problems with your soundcard superklye.. or maybe with the drivers.. cuz in hl2 i can get 5.1 with no problems and with divx/xvid movies too.
Well, I'm using the drivers from the creative site, so I don't know what the problem could be. :( It's high-time I reinstall XP though...if I end up having to get a new mobo, I'll wait til that arrives to do it. Maybe that'll fix the problem and if not, I'll have SoundStorm. :)