PDA

View Full Version : where is refresh override

daidojikaneda
01-20-05, 04:58 PM
I can't find the D3D and OpenGL tabs in the control panel of Forceware 66.93?

card is 6600GT PciE

ViN86
01-20-05, 05:02 PM
i use the NVRefreshTool (found on the right of the main nvnews.net page in the utilities section)

works great :)

daidojikaneda
01-20-05, 05:24 PM
no way enabling it in the control panel ?

BlackCross
01-20-05, 05:47 PM
i read in these forums that the nvidia one kills framerates. i use multires.

saweetnesstrev
01-20-05, 05:49 PM
i got a question if my desktop is set for 85 hz,, it uses 85 hz in the game,, does it effect games?

saturnotaku
01-20-05, 07:43 PM
no way enabling it in the control panel ?

NVIDIA disabled this feature because of the frame rate issues people were having. I use Refresh Force (Google it) and it's worked across every driver set I've ever used on both NVIDIA and ATI cards. It doesn't reside in your system tray or use any resources.

i got a question if my desktop is set for 85 hz,, it uses 85 hz in the game,, does it effect games?

Affect it how? In Windows 2000/XP you can't just specify a refresh rate using the Windows control panel. It will work in 2D, but games will always default back to 60 Hz. That's why you need Refresh Force or a similar program.

saweetnesstrev
01-21-05, 11:02 AM
NVIDIA disabled this feature because of the frame rate issues people were having. I use Refresh Force (Google it) and it's worked across every driver set I've ever used on both NVIDIA and ATI cards. It doesn't reside in your system tray or use any resources.

Affect it how? In Windows 2000/XP you can't just specify a refresh rate using the Windows control panel. It will work in 2D, but games will always default back to 60 Hz. That's why you need Refresh Force or a similar program.

well my games dont default back?? Can someone explain why? (no wonder im getting confused) every driver i used,, games run the same HZ as my desktop set at 85,, in the same resoultion :(

saturnotaku
01-21-05, 12:16 PM
well my games dont default back?? Can someone explain why? (no wonder im getting confused) every driver i used,, games run the same HZ as my desktop set at 85,, in the same resoultion :(

You can use Refresh Force to set any refresh rate you like for any resolution, provided your monitor supports it.

saweetnesstrev
01-21-05, 02:15 PM
like i said i dont use any refresh force,, and it the same on my desktop and games 85 the same ,, same resolotuion too.. isnt that weird??

Lalander
01-21-05, 03:10 PM
like i said i dont use any refresh force,, and it the same on my desktop and games 85 the same ,, same resolotuion too.. isnt that weird??

No that's not weird. It's the same for me.
Some (older) games defaults back to 60 Hz, but HL2 and Far Cry for example works the way you describe.

saweetnesstrev
01-21-05, 03:59 PM
so what you saying is if i dont have refresh force on,, it runs what its suppose to right?

UberRN69
01-23-05, 12:03 AM

Thank You, Saturnotaku, Thank You!!!!!!!

I have been stuck using 65.73 drivers for some time now because they were the last set that NVIDIA's Refresh rate override worked on without effecting preformance. Any driver set after that I would either have to deal with eye bleeding 60MHz refresh rates, or take a serious performance hit (3DMark03 would go from 11,700 down to 9,600) and use NVIDIA's refresh override. Which usually ment going back to 65.73.

I've only skimmed through this subject before and always assumed that "Refresh Force" was just another name for NVIDIA's refresh override. Not until your post did I realize that "Refresh Force" is a third party program. So I gave it a try and low and behold, I can use the newer driver sets (67.03 71.21 etc.) at 85-100MHz refresh in 3D, leave NVIDIA's refresh rate override on default and not take a single hit in performance. before and after benchmarks are relatively the same.

Thanks for the tech tip :wonder: