PDA

View Full Version : Image quality playing DVD's with 6800ultra

Pages : [1] 2

Sazar
01-20-05, 09:33 PM
I was watching LOTR: ROTK (extended version) on my computer for the first time today and I am getting absolutely crap color reproduction...

its almost like its 24 color representation...

this is the first time I have ever watched a DVD on my system with an NV card in there, was using my AIW 9700pro before...

hardware in my sig... and using nvdvd...

any advice/tips/suggestions would be appreciated to get accurate color reproduction...

wrugoin
01-20-05, 10:27 PM
see if you can do a screen capture and post it. It may help to diagnose your problem.

MikeC
01-20-05, 10:34 PM
What drivers are you using?

Sazar
01-20-05, 10:52 PM
current drivers == 71.20's... was using the WHQL version till a day or so ago...

btw how can I take a screen cap? prntscrn is not capturing it :(

ChrisRay
01-20-05, 10:55 PM
What application are you using? You want to enable VMR mode for Nvidia when watching DVDS, The difference with the DVD decoder or NvDVD is night and day

fivefeet8
01-21-05, 01:26 AM
You could always increase digital vibrance. ;) What DVD software are you using? Most also have video settings like vibrant, theater, dark, ect..ect..

Morn
01-21-05, 02:15 AM
>>>its almost like its 24 color representation...

What do you mean?

Clay
01-21-05, 09:13 AM
current drivers == 71.20's... was using the WHQL version till a day or so ago...

btw how can I take a screen cap? prntscrn is not capturing it :(
Yeah, DVD video is a different animal to screen capture...something about the video buffer...I'm no expert. There are utils that will capture it, you'd have to Google for it.

Clay
01-21-05, 09:13 AM

What do you mean?
I think he means 24-bit color instead of 32-bit.

Morn
01-21-05, 09:35 AM
Yes of course, but what exactly about it makes it appear that way to him.

Clay
01-21-05, 09:38 AM
Ah ok I see what you're asking now.

Sazar
01-21-05, 04:44 PM

What do you mean?

you know what happens when you drop your desktop color setup from 16 or 32 bit down to the 16 or 24 color or whatever it used to be under the olders o/s's? the banding and the clear color boundaries that occured?

thats whats occuring...

---

btw thanks for the advice you guys, I'll try it out when I get back home and see if it makes any difference to the color reproduction...

ChrisRay
01-21-05, 06:29 PM
Sazar have you set VMR mode on in NVDVD like I suggested?

noko
01-22-05, 07:41 AM
ChrisRay,

What does the two VMR modes do? I do notice you get an option for Adaptive deinterlance when selected. It seems like to me VMR 9 with Adaptive deinterlance looks better. Still not as sharp as my Radeon in the end. I guess I need to get purevideo.

mustrum
01-22-05, 12:14 PM
(w/opics)
I think this is the first time where this smilie makes sense. :)

Sazar
01-22-05, 01:13 PM
Sazar have you set VMR mode on in NVDVD like I suggested?

sry I hadn't replied..

I've been sick as a dog the past coupla days :(

I enabled VMR and it works as I wanted it to work initially :)

thanks... color reproduction is back to normal...

gonna play around with a few other features and get the img sharpened up some...

---

mustrum, I dunno how to capture stills :( I dun have the full version of nvdvd so I can't capture frames...

GlowStick
01-22-05, 02:21 PM
sry I hadn't replied..

I've been sick as a dog the past coupla days :(

I enabled VMR and it works as I wanted it to work initially :)

thanks... color reproduction is back to normal...

gonna play around with a few other features and get the img sharpened up some...

---

mustrum, I dunno how to capture stills :( I dun have the full version of nvdvd so I can't capture frames...
Woot glad your problems fixed!

Wierd problem though!

Sazar
01-22-05, 06:21 PM
yah... I didn't know what to think since I've never had a problem with dvd playback on any cards I have used before... ati or nvidia

Morn
01-24-05, 05:33 AM
>>>you know what happens when you drop your desktop color setup from 16 or 32 bit down to the 16 or 24 color or whatever it used to be under the olders o/s's? the banding and the clear color boundaries that occured?

Yes that sometimes happens a little annoying. What is the best way to fix it?

Marcos
01-24-05, 07:24 AM
Even tho problem is solved for future reference FRAPS can take a screenshot in nvDVD

Sazar
01-24-05, 09:50 AM
appreciate it marcos... I'll keep that in mind...

eyoo
01-25-05, 06:00 AM
DVDs looked great with my 6800GT, I love all the extra options Nvidia has for sharpness, overlay and stuff, much better than my 9700 pro. The only real problem I had was loop back from my cable that cause lines to scroll on the TV. I had that with my 9700 pro as well but it's more pronounced with my 6800GT for some reason.

Clay
01-25-05, 07:57 AM
Even tho problem is solved for future reference FRAPS can take a screenshot in nvDVD
Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Morn
01-25-05, 07:59 AM
I can't get NV DVD to work on my system, blank screen.

superklye
01-25-05, 11:01 AM
Yeah, DVD video is a different animal to screen capture...something about the video buffer...I'm no expert. There are utils that will capture it, you'd have to Google for it.
PowerDVD and WinDVD have screen capturing capabilities in-program