PDA

View Full Version : Im having heat issues, need reccomendations.

Skraeling
01-21-05, 04:46 AM
ok im having heat issues with my 6800gt 256mb card. I was running farcry and recorded a peak temp of 97*C at the core and 65* ambient, that seems a bit high to me.

right now tracking it at idle with rivatuner it shows 70*C core and 48*C ambient. the room is not hot and the computer is on the cool tile floor (dorm room).

any ideas what i can do? using a 300W powersupply 2 optical drives and a p4 3.2ghz processor. i have an extra fan on the back of my case and one of the extra optical drive slots cover removed. i really need to get the heat down.

bigger powersupply? more fans? better case?

any help appreciated guys thanks in advance.

Skraeling
01-21-05, 12:58 PM
erm anything?

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-21-05, 01:06 PM
prescrap cpu ?

ViN86
01-21-05, 01:10 PM
what kind of card is it? you might even want to take off the heatsink and make sure they (whoever put together your card) put thermal paste on your gpu and ram. if you do that though, be careful. your warranty will be void. :(

rombat
01-21-05, 01:21 PM
You can try replacing your stock heatsink and fan with a NV5, it will certainly cool it down better (make sure you apply good thermal paste like articsilver3-5 on gpu and thermal paste on ram). 6800Gt are known not to have as good of a heatsink as the 6800 ultras.

duggs
01-21-05, 01:43 PM
Easy peasy..Cheap way is to plonk a 5" fan inside the case close to ventilation holes. In my case there are loads on the bottom of the case so the fan blows "through" the case, up towards the power supply.

Temp NEVER goes above 60.

aAv7
01-21-05, 01:47 PM
put a nvsilencer on it...or better yet return it for a new one and see if the heat is due to your case or a bad card.

Skraeling
01-21-05, 03:47 PM
i think its really my case this things just a regualr cheap ol' barebones kit i put together.

by what card did you mean what brand becuase i said what card it was.

and as for brand its a pny verto.

will changing the heatsink void the warrenty?

heres the case i have. i have an extra fan on the hole below the psu.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=672933&CatId=333

i removed the third cover from the top, first two are optical drives the third spot i took out the panel cover to help with cooling till i can figure out whats goin on.

im lookin at the super lanboy to upgrade the case. never moved everything from one case to a new one before though, although i installed my own cpu just fine so it shouldnt be that hard.

Fahim
01-21-05, 04:13 PM
I also got the same prolem. But what i found is the problem is with the nvidia driver reading. Speedfan shows 10C lower and with temp. sensor, i got 70-75C. It seems somwhow nvidia reading wrong temp.

Skraeling
01-21-05, 04:20 PM
still even if its 10* off hitting 97* on farcry take 10 off thats still 87*

forgive my ignorace but does rivatuner make use of the nvidia drivers to read tempurature? because both the nvidia software and this third party software are giving the same readings.

whats "speedfan"?

BrianG
01-21-05, 05:01 PM
Worst case, the GPU may have too much, too little or no heatsink compound. What are the temps with the case open? Is the heatsink blazing hot? If the heatsink isn't cooking, you have poor thermal contact between it and the GPU.

If the card is cooler with the cover off, have you pulled all of the PCI slot blanks? You would be surprised by how much that helps. That case seems a little narrow. The card is upside down recirculating the hot air. Give it a place to pull in a little fresh air.

You could also try a slot cooler. Google for PCI slot coolers. Plenty of reviews out there.

Also google Speedfan, it comes in handy when troubleshooting heat problems.

Skraeling
01-21-05, 05:55 PM
messing around with speedfan right now, i might get a new case anyway as this one rattles bad.