PDA

View Full Version : Electricity usage? Based on what?

wrugoin
01-21-05, 08:36 AM
Hey all,

I've got a question based on how much electricity a computer will draw from the wall socket.

I've upgraded my 400W generic power supply to a better 600W Ultra power supply and I was wondering if this upgrade now has me drawing more electricity from my wall. So, is electricity consumption based on the power supply rating, or based on the power demand of the components of the computer?

Viral
01-21-05, 09:54 AM
It's basically demand. You should not be using more power unless your last PSU wasn't providing enough power to the devices, in which case your computer wouldn't have been working anyway. :)

Fatman
01-21-05, 02:31 PM
Yep Viral is 100% correct. PSU wattage does not dictate how much power is being used, it all comes down to how much juice is actually being used. Also in case you are wondering, keeping PC running 24/7, assuming it's not running anything heavy like SETI@Home, will cost about $20-$25 a month. Monitor and other gadgetry is not included in that price.

Dazz
01-21-05, 04:03 PM
Well from what i heard they both use the same amount of power it's just down to efficentcy.

Jak Crow
01-21-05, 06:46 PM
You can get a wall socket power meter like a "Kil-O-Watt" that will show you the draw of anything plugged into it.

ricercar
01-25-05, 05:53 AM
In Sunnyvale, California, PG&E charges me $100 a month to run my five PCs 24/7 above what the bill is without them running (~$45). Santa Clara Utilities charged me under $32-35 month for the entire house, including the same PCs 24/7. Depends on the electric company as much as the computers.