PDA

View Full Version : SLi and multi-monitor setups...

superklye
01-21-05, 03:58 PM
I was thinking about this: with SLi there is the possiblity of 4 monitors, but can you actually have and use 4 monitors? Because I thought the way SLi worked was that in normal mode, your computer acted as though it has just one video card, but in SLi mode, it goes to single monitor and used both cards...right?

So how then would you be able to have 4 monitors hooked up with SLi?

Dazz
01-21-05, 05:52 PM
Nope only one monitor is currently allowed from what i have heard., 4 monitor will not work may in the future but don't count on it.

superklye
01-23-05, 01:26 AM
That sucks. :( So the only way to get 4 monitors currently is to have an nForce2 board with an AGP video card along with a secondary PCI video card, huh?

Clay
01-23-05, 01:43 AM
That sucks. :( So the only way to get 4 monitors currently is to have an nForce2 board with an AGP video card along with a secondary PCI video card, huh?That's the only hardware solution for now. But you can use something like this MaxVista (http://www.maxivista.com/) as a software solution. It's actually a really cool app and it works. I use it at work sometimes, allows me to have three displays from my laptop (only two of which are physically connected via hardware). There is a slight lag and the refresh rate/resolution is limited IIRC, but it works!

Cota
01-23-05, 01:43 AM
you can use both cards just not in SLI

superklye
01-23-05, 02:10 AM
That's the only hardware solution for now. But you can use something like this MaxVista (http://www.maxivista.com/) as a software solution. It's actually a really cool app and it works. I use it at work sometimes, allows me to have three displays from my laptop (only two of which are physically connected via hardware). There is a slight lag and the refresh rate/resolution is limited IIRC, but it works!
hmm...I may look into that, once I get my mobo situation figured out and have the moola to drop on a PCI card of some sort.

Dazz
01-23-05, 05:40 AM
Yeah you have to have it run in single card mode inorder to get 2+ monitors connected. But in SLI it's a no go.

superklye
01-23-05, 12:11 PM
hmmm...that really sucks. I hope nVIDIA gets on that and allows you to connect and use all four monitors in an SLi setup...it seems very odd to me that they wouldn't allow that...

robhancock
01-23-05, 05:00 PM
It should be possible for them to get 2 monitors to work in SLI mode - their FAQ on their web site implies it should work, after all, even though it doesn't seem to currently. 4 monitors likely won't be doable, at least in 3D mode, though I guess the driver could sort of dynamically turn SLI off in 2D mode to allow the 4 outputs to be driven independently..