PDA

View Full Version : Is nVidia's SLI really needed ?

garikfox
01-21-05, 08:28 PM
No way !

SLI and the UPGRADE that comes with it is absoLUTELY Expensive/and not needed.

I took mine back and got what I have now but let's even say you buy it all, Ok WoW look at this Figuire :/

2 x 6800U PCIe 700.00+ US Each !! WOW ! If u can get one. :/

Then The Mobo is 250.00US thats alot in itself.

Then a NEW PSU, WHAT you say !! Yep no kiddin a New eATX PSU is Now gonna be common.. add another 150.00+

CPU - 300.00US + (upto 700.00 +)

Just those 3 is a WHOPPING !

2100.00+, Simply Mind Boggling when they just came out with the AGP 6800 Ultra then now they want ya to get this stuff ? NO WAY !!!!!!!

If u have a current system with a AMD64 setup and a(Good card like 6800NU,U,GT) AGP, PCIe is not worth it in any way. It's just simply a hype which I found out the expensive way. !

lowdog
01-21-05, 08:48 PM
Yep, my 6800U and my P4 3.4C is going to tie me over till 06. By that time all this pci stuff should be more mature and the next gen vid cards will be out.

I'll see what there is on offer in mid 06 and how much of a preformance gain there is available with the new vid cards and cpu's at that time.

If your not getting at least a 50% gain in preformance then I see no point in upgradeing my rig. Hell it plays everything fine and I'm sure it will for at least the next year.

Blacklash
01-21-05, 08:49 PM
Personally I would wait for prices to come down. I would most likely go for the 6800 GTs over the Ultra as most can do default Ultra clocks. The value of SLI is for people that want to game 1600x1200 and up with AA/AF. There is enough data about to show that SLI is "worth it" under the conditions I describe. Besides that is relative to the value of the user/consumer. When you get into the enthusiast market, much is "not really needed".

Actually, if you game 1024x768 with moderate levels of AA/AF one 6800 and an AMD 64 3200 is likely more than enough.

I would completely agree with your assertion when considering 1280x1024 and lower with medium levels of AA/AF. I would also agree with you in that prices should drop, the technology should mature and AMD has new dual core processors down the road that should really push an SLI configuration.

So watch and wait is a good idea.

garikfox
01-21-05, 09:21 PM
No doubt i have a Samsung Monitor 19' incher, 1600 x 1200 is not acceptable by my old SLI system. :)

For games i Mean i only play EQII so it was a bit slow BUT all good now, LoL :)

john19055
01-21-05, 09:26 PM
To me it is not worth it after just upgradeing to a A64 3400+ and a new mobo and 6800 ultra,It has enough power to play any game I want with FSAA and aniso on.I guess if you have the money and want the fastest it may be worth it to some people but my system is going to have to last me for a while this time before I do another upgrade.

MUYA
01-21-05, 09:57 PM
This was discussed before.

SLI ROCKS for those who can afford it. I think Jakup is a testament to that. He is very happy with it. For those who do not have one are not even qualified to make such a statement.

Thread closed.

Clay
01-21-05, 09:58 PM
Then a NEW PSU, WHAT you say !! Yep no kiddin a New eATX PSU is Now gonna be common.. add another 150.00+Not necessarily. I'm using my Antec 480W with no problems at all (this is with 6600GTs of course, but still, a new PSU isn't a given need for everyone as most enthusiasts already have a quality PSU approaching or over 500W).If u have a current system with a AMD64 setup and a(Good card like 6800NU,U,GT) AGP, PCIe is not worth it in any way. It's just simply a hype which I found out the expensive way. !That's your opinion of course. What's not "worth it" to some may easly be worth it to others.