PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR SimRacing Demo

stncttr908
01-21-05, 11:47 PM
I'm looking forward to this game, since I can't have another Papyrus NASCAR Sim. :thumbdwn:

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/nascarsimracing/nascar_simracing_demo.exe.html

Has anyone else tried it? I can't get it to run in anything but 640x480.

jAkUp
01-21-05, 11:49 PM
Those screenshots look damn impressive... Downloading now... ;) I just hope the demo has damage :)

Q
01-21-05, 11:51 PM
Stuck at super gay low rez.

Looks alright...eh....I liked Nascar Heat back in the day.... If i could play in a decent rez I might like this one better!

jAkUp
01-21-05, 11:57 PM
hmmm... which drivers are you guys running? Does it even give the option to change the res?

circuitbreaker8
01-22-05, 12:07 AM
Game blows....

CaptNKILL
01-22-05, 12:36 AM
*sigh*

NASCAR Racing 2003 is by far the best Nascar racing game\sim ever created. Its a shame they arent making that series any more. I'll never understand why the hell Papyrus stopped with 2003. Ive always had a hunch that it had something to do with EA (like any other bad thing in the gaming industry ;)) but other than that, I have no idea.

jAkUp
01-22-05, 01:10 AM
Go to 3dsetup and you can change the res

stncttr908
01-22-05, 02:39 AM
Go to 3dsetup and you can change the res
Yeah, I change it to 1280x960, run the bench, fire up the game...oh look, it's 640x480 again. :thumbdwn:

DivotMaker
01-22-05, 08:44 AM
I'll never understand why the hell Papyrus stopped with 2003. Ive always had a hunch that it had something to do with EA (like any other bad thing in the gaming industry ;)) but other than that, I have no idea.

Papyrus quit producing Nascar for one simple reason....it did not make enough profit to satisfy the publisher (Sierra/Vivendi). While Papyrus was unquestionably the best Nascar developer ever (from a simulation perspective), if your product does not appeal to a wide enough audience, you will likely not stay in business.

Vivendi has also dropped virtually every sports publisher they have ever had, so blaming EA for what happened to Papyrus' Nascar is at best a mis-informed opinion.

CaptNKILL
01-22-05, 10:34 AM
Papyrus quit producing Nascar for one simple reason....it did not make enough profit to satisfy the publisher (Sierra/Vivendi). While Papyrus was unquestionably the best Nascar developer ever (from a simulation perspective), if your product does not appeal to a wide enough audience, you will likely not stay in business.

Vivendi has also dropped virtually every sports publisher they have ever had, so blaming EA for what happened to Papyrus' Nascar is at best a mis-informed opinion.
Well thanks for clearing that up. The only reason I thought EA was involved was because the nascar thunder (i think thats what EA produces) series was terrible in comparison to nascar racing, but it was pretty much the only competition. And since there was rarely (if ever) any advertising or promotions for the Nascar Racing series, yet another crappy EA game took over the market. Indirectly or not, I think they played a major role. I saw dozens of reviews and TV and magazine ads for NASCAR Thunder (which ever one was out before 2003), and it didnt take long for NASCAR Racing to be gone.

I think they really should have just added a simpler Arcade mode to the awesome simulation mode that was there. Cutting the whole game from their lineup was a really bad move for the gaming industry IMO. If they brought it back now and actually advertised it, people would probably be all over it after seeing what the alternatives are like.

gmontem
01-22-05, 11:01 AM
Surely you haven't forgotton about EA getting exclusive rights to produce NASCAR games? There's no way Papyrus or any other developer can develop any NASCAR game until 2009.

OWA
01-22-05, 11:21 AM
Surely you haven't forgotton about EA getting exclusive rights to produce NASCAR games? There's no way Papyrus or any other developer can develop any NASCAR game until 2009.
Yeah, I thought that was the main reason Papyrus stopped. They didn't have much of a choice. I also remember them saying something about wanting to make console games also though to reach a broader market.

stncttr908
01-22-05, 11:32 AM
I still fire up NASCAR Racing 2003 on occassion. It'll take a lot from EA to put SimRacing in that kind of company.

Let's start by letting me change the resolution, shall we? :fu:

gmontem
01-22-05, 11:33 AM
Well I suppose the next developer to look out for is FIRST-Racing.net (http://first-racing.net/). This company was founded by David Kaemmer, Papyrus founder and the man responsible for the engines, and John Henry (principal Red Sox owner). Together they bought the simulation tech they developed from VU so here's the hoping the best from them.

CaptNKILL
01-22-05, 12:52 PM
Someone told me that a while ago, which is the main reason I blamed EA. But divot called me misinformed so I didnt bring it up. :rolleyes:

Yes, fellas, it may actually be true. EA is the source of most problems in the gaming industry. They suck hardcore and no one can deny it ;)

scott123
01-22-05, 02:59 PM
As a N2003 and GTR player, all I can say is the so called SIM demo is horrible.

saumilsingh
01-22-05, 04:12 PM
I was realy looking forward to this game being a huge fan of nascar racing 2003.

Apart from the resolution bug, how's everything else - physics, drafting, spotter radio, sounds and most importantly the replays?

jAkUp
01-22-05, 05:07 PM
Changing the resolution works fine on my machine, the game isn't very good though. I can't even watch myself crash on the instant replay. Lame. The physics are a little off, but they seem better than before.

DivotMaker
01-22-05, 08:21 PM
1. I think they really should have just added a simpler Arcade mode to the awesome simulation mode that was there.

2. Cutting the whole game from their lineup was a really bad move for the gaming industry IMO. If they brought it back now and actually advertised it, people would probably be all over it after seeing what the alternatives are like.

1. Agree. I do not know of ANY developer who has been able to bring out a genre that has BOTH simulation AND arcade features in ONE package. Doing this would maximize market penetration, but I can't figure out why it has not been done to date.

2. Unless you are describing a product that had both simulation and arcade, I would disagree. A pure sim, while excellent, did not sell with the mainstream market and therefore did not survive unfortunately.

Q
01-22-05, 09:25 PM
I though that Papyrus WAS furnishing the engine for EA to use....eh, I don't know.

jaKup...I'm running the 67.03s now, but I was running the 70.84 or whatever the heck they are...those dell drivers turned whql. Neither ones keep the resolution I choose.

I'm thinking it's because I run REFORCE to override the refresh rate and you know how EA games like to be picky when forcing resolutions.... who knows!

scott123
01-22-05, 11:21 PM
Actually, that's the issue. You must unlock the refesh rate, and then do the 3D config thing again. Anyway, it's based on the F1 engine that EA had before. Now you would think it would at least look as good as the F1 sim they made but obviously they got it all wrong. Everything about it sucks, and I have canceled my pre-order with EB, oh well...

GTR just came out based on the same engine, but obviously they know how to do it right. Maybe EA should have hired them instead. The physics are as good as the graphics.
http://members.cox.net/lena372/GRAB_011.jpg

Shamrock
01-23-05, 02:47 AM
I though that Papyrus WAS furnishing the engine for EA to use....eh, I don't know.

jaKup...I'm running the 67.03s now, but I was running the 70.84 or whatever the heck they are...those dell drivers turned whql. Neither ones keep the resolution I choose.

I'm thinking it's because I run REFORCE to override the refresh rate and you know how EA games like to be picky when forcing resolutions.... who knows!

no, SimRacing (by EA) has an engine furnished by ISI, which also made F1 Challenge, F1 2002, F1 2001, and all of the NASCAR thunder series.

saumilsingh
01-23-05, 05:58 AM
This game looks like a result of papyrus (+5), isi (+5) and ea (-5000).

I didn't really like ea's f1 series either, microproses gp4 with all the updates rocks my spot.
That's what the real f1 teams use as their official simulator too (atleast williams and jaguar do).