PDA

View Full Version : NV DVD Codec

Pages : [1] 2

Charlie Chang
01-22-05, 01:44 AM
Is it for sale or bundle in the cards? How much?

rohit
01-22-05, 03:24 AM
For sale. Does not come bundled as yet
u can download it from nvidia site. it has 30-day-free trial
u can buy it for USD 20.00

fivefeet8
01-22-05, 03:41 AM
For sale. Does not come bundled as yet
u can download it from nvidia site. it has 30-day-free trial
u can buy it for USD 20.00

If you decide to buy it, there are several budles that you can choose from.
https://www.dvd.nvidiaproducts.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

noko
01-22-05, 07:47 AM
$30 for the Gold! Come on, shouldn't this be cheaper for a plug in for WMP? Plus free? Oh well, at least ATI gives out free updates to all of their video software for their card holders, time to download.

Charlie Chang
01-22-05, 10:05 AM
$30 for the Gold! Come on, shouldn't this be cheaper for a plug in for WMP? Plus free? Oh well, at least ATI gives out free updates to all of their video software for their card holders, time to download.

Surprised. Since Nvidia is a chip company do not know why they start to sell software. And this software worked only for GeForce cards. And we have the DVD codec bundled with a DVD ROM.

Charlie Chang
01-22-05, 12:06 PM
But, to be honest, I was impressed with how it handles the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS...I'm just not sure the improved performance is worth 50 dollars, I think I can handle a bit of stuttering in the audio right after switching chapters if it will costs me that much to fix it.

The stuttering occurs in WMV HD without using hardware video acceleration. My porcessor is 3.0GHz Pentium 4. But I found that the stuttering is more serious in WMV than in DivX/AVI.

Charlie Chang
01-22-05, 01:26 PM
It frustrates me a bit that they charge so much more for the surround audio features. I can simply set my audio to SPDIF-out and let my audigy decode the audio, but its definitely slower and causes a bit of stutter after switching chapters. The NV-DVD codec on the other hand handles the surround decoding without so much as a hiccup. I can't say I noticed any video quality improvement however (I was using NVDVD 2.0 to play my DVDs up to this point, and it has some early version of the NVDVD decoder built in).

How much the patent fee they should pay DVD Group?

Q
01-22-05, 01:40 PM
WHAT IS THIIIIIIS CRAP!?!

I bought the decoder when it first came out. Payed the 20 to fix the broken $550 card I bought with thier name on it. Still didn't fix the WMVHD like it was supposed to, but it did provide nice quality and speed.

I was under the assumption(....and i guess i did make an ass out of....well, ME.....) that it would provide more than just 2 channel sound! NVDVD was free and did this much. I have a 7.1 channel set up, but have been forced to use 2 channels over the last few months due to room set up/moving/ect. So i haven't been able to test it...

I really do wish that one person mattered. I had been 3dfx/ATI my whole computer life...and finally decided to give NVIDIA a shot. After the stuttering,VPU, 2 official drivers per product line blah blah blah.... I'm sorry that I did.

I take that back....at least I got introduced to these forums.... we all know about Rage. =D

Rakeesh
01-22-05, 01:54 PM
It frustrates me a bit that they charge so much more for the surround audio features.

Nvidia doesn't get to keep that money though, that money pays royalties to dolby labs for their patents.

Charlie Chang
01-22-05, 02:20 PM
Nvidia doesn't get to keep that money though, that money pays royalties to dolby labs for their patents.

Dolby Digital 5.1, Pro Logic, Headphone worth $10? And DTS worth $20?
What business will pay over 90% to patent royalties?

fivefeet8
01-22-05, 04:41 PM
Dolby Digital 5.1, Pro Logic, Headphone worth $10? And DTS worth $20?
What business will pay over 90% to patent royalties?

You'll pay similar prices for similar products. PowerDvd6 with all of those features costs around $70.

Q
01-22-05, 05:11 PM
You'll pay similar prices for similar products. PowerDvd6 with all of those features costs around $70.

But at least you get a frontend with it... some people reaaaaly hate WMP....

ATI_Dude
01-22-05, 05:25 PM

The Nvdia DVD video and audio codecs are usable in Zoomplayer and other 3rd party players if you don't like WMP.

Q
01-22-05, 05:51 PM
True...as with most (all?) codecs. But it was "designed" for WMP if that means anything... eh.... I don't know. I'm just sore, I guess.

I emailed NVIDIA today to see if I could upgrade to the top package if I wanted. The response was within a few hours, and very professional. I could upgrade if I wanted...but it seemed like I would need to do so very soon. The email had a very "you should rush" attitude to it. Anways, it's nice to know that I could move up if I so choosed.

fivefeet8
01-23-05, 02:13 AM

There is a frontend with it. It's called NstantMedia. The application is installed in the codec directory, but it's not shortcutted.

rohit
01-23-05, 03:01 AM
IMO, all the geforce 6 users should get this software free of cost.
i am not gonna waste 20 bux on it for fixing a broken vid processor, wich i wuld rarely use. i'd rather use my DVD Player for waching dvds. we all deserve this bundled with our cards.

And yes, i do not like WMP.

P.S.: Once i had got a nv newsletter, in wich they had mentioned abt this nv dvd decoder. where it was written, "All the gpu's from nv family will enable VIDEO ACCELERATION functionality, on using the dvd decoder."
So i think someone who also owns an FX card, should try out this decoder, wheather it worx or no.

rewt
01-23-05, 03:17 AM
So i think someone who also owns an FX card, should try out this decoder, wheather it worx or no.

I own an FX 5900. The decoder works just fine doing MPEG2 video acceleration in MCE and/or WMP 9/10.

rohit
01-23-05, 08:46 AM
I own an FX 5900. The decoder works just fine doing MPEG2 video acceleration in MCE and/or WMP 9/10.

The Nv DVD DECODER is a software, designed for the NV GPU's, for DVD ACCELERATION. Its jus a software trick. IMO.

it was used by the nv40 marketing ppl, jus to create a HYPE and + point that nv4x is not only a GAMING CARD, but also a multimedia card, for VIDEO PLAYBAK ACCELERATION.

The nv40 rocks any wich ways, without the PUREVIDEO thingy too ;)

rewt
01-23-05, 09:01 AM
You asked a question relating to FX users, so I answered it. You don't have to explain to me what a dvd decoder is and how much better the nv40 is. I already know all this..

monkeydust
01-23-05, 11:42 AM
Is this codec for playing DVD's only or does it also help with playback of DIVX and other movies on your HD?

Quimby
01-23-05, 12:03 PM
IMO, all the geforce 6 users should get this software free of cost.
i am not gonna waste 20 bux on it for fixing a broken vid processor...
This software does not fix the broken video processor. It'd be a nice gesture to give it free to GF6 owners, but it won't do a thing to fix their hardware.

j0j081
01-23-05, 09:12 PM
so I have an Audigy 2 ZS. You are telling me that my surround will be better w/the nv decoder? also, what happens if I purchase the decoder and play my dvds in WinDVD? Will the decoder be used for video? WinDVD is meant to have good audio w/audigy 2 isn't it?

rohit
01-24-05, 02:06 AM
You asked a question relating to FX users, so I answered it. You don't have to explain to me what a dvd decoder is and how much better the nv40 is. I already know all this..

I never explained u wot a dvd decoder is or how is the nv40 etc etc..
i jus stated a GENERAL PERSONAL OPINION abt the PUREVIDEO Nv DVD DECODER. And that It should be free of cost for NV OWNERS.
It wasnt POSTED for u.

rewt
01-24-05, 05:18 AM
Fair enough. And next time please don't quote me if your post isn't directed towards me or anything I said. Thanks.

All in all I can totally agree with that. nV should give the new decoder out for free (with purchase of GeForce 6 I mean). But instead they give out some old nvDVD software that doesn't even support PureVideo? Hmmmm... :thumbdwn:

ATI_Dude
01-24-05, 08:16 AM
When I use Dolby Digital DTS 5.1, I get stuttering/lag when changing chapters, navigating menus, etc, if I have my Audigy 2 do all of the decoding (to force the audigy 2 to do all of the decoding, I set nvDVD to external reciever digital output mode in the audio options. I have to do this because otherwise, nvDVD simply downmixes all the channels into stereo).

With the nv decoder, I'm able to use Dolby Digital DTS 5.1 in Windows Media Player without any stuttering or lag.

It's a driver problem. Sometimes it helps to pause the movie and the hit play.