PDA

View Full Version : Dont know why, my 6800GT never get temp under 50 even with silencer nv5

raid-5
01-22-05, 09:20 PM
rig:

2x 6800GT with silencer nv5

A8n_SLI deluxe

idle at 56C

burn @ about 69C up

is all GT like this ? :confused:

saturnotaku
01-22-05, 09:22 PM
Those temperatures are perfectly normal. As long as you're not upwards of 90C, you're fine.

toxikneedle
01-22-05, 09:53 PM
ye im running about same temps, although load is only @ about 65 at most..... but my room is very hot today... Im usually at around 50.... but ye if your not anywhere around 90.... you have nothing to worry about.

bkswaney
01-22-05, 10:32 PM
I idle at 55 with my NV5.
Max load temp has been about 75.

My temps should fall a bit more
by the end of the week.
I only have 1-80mm Vantech Stealth case
fan going right now.

I have 2 80mm Vantech UV fans on
the way right now for the back of my case.
I'm going to have the one 80mm stealth pulling
cold air in the front and the 2 pulling from the rear.
Right now my case temp is 25. I hope
to see that fall by 2 to 4 degree's. ;)

latinmike
01-22-05, 11:15 PM
Those temperatures are perfectly normal. As long as you're not upwards of 90C, you're fine.
I think so too your o.k.

NemesisChild
01-24-05, 08:18 PM
I idle at 55 with my NV5.
Max load temp has been about 75.

My temps should fall a bit more
by the end of the week.
I only have 1-80mm Vantech Stealth case
fan going right now.

I have 2 80mm Vantech UV fans on
the way right now for the back of my case.
I'm going to have the one 80mm stealth pulling
cold air in the front and the 2 pulling from the rear.
Right now my case temp is 25. I hope
to see that fall by 2 to 4 degree's. ;)

By adding those extra venting fans, you should see an improvement in your load temp. I was in the 76-78c (and into the 80's at times) under load before installing my NV5 and extra cooling fans. My load temp now never goes above 63-64c and more recently in the 60-62c range. It could be cause my AS5 is only 3 weeks old and is starting to settle in on the GPU & NV5 heatsink.

My idle temp is consistent at 55/40.

raid-5, your idle temps are very normal!

bkswaney
01-24-05, 10:17 PM
By adding those extra venting fans, you should see an improvement in your load temp. I was in the 76-78c (and into the 80's at times) under load before installing my NV5 and extra cooling fans. My load temp now never goes above 63-64c and more recently in the 60-62c range. It could be cause my AS5 is only 3 weeks old and is starting to settle in on the GPU & NV5 heatsink.

My idle temp is consistent at 55/40.

raid-5, your idle temps are very normal!

Glad to hear it. My 2 new Vantech's will be here Wed. :D

raid-5
01-25-05, 12:20 AM
thanks for your infor NemesisChild !

My idle is 55C very constant,

but I find that the temp is not as high as I think after burn.

I played Hlaflife 2 for half a hour, and the temp is aroud 62C

bkswaney
01-25-05, 12:24 AM
thanks for your infor NemesisChild !

My idle is 55C very constant,

but I find that the temp is not as high as I think after burn.

I played Hlaflife 2 for half a hour, and the temp is aroud 62C

Yep... To see your highest temps use RTHDRIBL.
No game or benchmark pushes my temps up
like this thing does. :)

raid-5
01-25-05, 02:29 AM
go up to 67 after 10 minute RTHDRIBL

eyoo
01-25-05, 05:52 AM
NV 5 ain't all it's cracked up to be, it's just a thin sheet off copper with an aluminum HS glued on top with a cheap blower on top. Can't really expect much from that. You'd be better off getting a solid copper HS or water cooling if you want lower temps. My solid copper 6800GT gets 46C idle 64C heavy load @ 400/1100. For the amount NV5's cost you'd think you'd get much better cooling... Really though they're called Arctic Silencer for a reason. First priority is to be quiet while cooling is just a side thought. I haven't owned a NV5 but I have owned an arctic silencer product in the past and it's wasn't good at cooling (56c idle) but it was quiet. I replaced it within a week . :)

monkeydust
01-25-05, 05:57 AM
So, what's the best solution to replace the stock HSF on them for quiet cooling?

When I put my 2 6800GT's in my case and turned it on, they were the loudest things in the case.

eyoo
01-25-05, 06:08 AM
Water cooling would be ideal if you want it quiet as well as really cooled. I'm not sure how you'd set that up on an SLI though. I don't really have a problem with louder fans as I have a volcano 12 cranked up and the stock 6800GT fan with a solid copper HS but I have some isolating headphones that take out all the background noise. I have my pc on 24/7 and I don't even really notice the volcano 12 anymore... But really the temp threshold on these cards is pretty high so unless you overclock it's probably not a big deal.

Slammin
01-25-05, 08:21 AM
NV-5 does an excellent job, especially when compared to my stock BFG dual fan cooler. With my NV-5 I get 33 ambient, 55 core at idle, and max core never goes above 70. In addition, the NV-5 exhausts that hot air to the outside, which is really important if you are already overclocking your system. Being extremely quiet is an added bonus.

ViN86
01-25-05, 11:25 AM
yea its weird. i idle at 55 regardless of my ambient temps. :confused:

NemesisChild
01-25-05, 04:44 PM
NV-5 does an excellent job, especially when compared to my stock BFG dual fan cooler. With my NV-5 I get 33 ambient, 55 core at idle, and max core never goes above 70. In addition, the NV-5 exhausts that hot air to the outside, which is really important if you are already overclocking your system. Being extremely quiet is an added bonus.

I agree 100%.
My stock BFG dual fan design never really kept my GT cooled down.

eyoo - I have to disagree with you.
IMO, the NV5 does an outstanding job in cooling a 6800GT.
If you've never owned one, how can you say it doesn't do a good job?
Have you ever seen one? It does have a solid (thick) copper heatsink.
Btw, my load temps (60-62c) are lower than your copper HS setup with my NV5.
And for $22.95, I don't see how it can not be cost effective!
My NV5 was one of the best hardware investments I have ever made.

MikeC
01-25-05, 05:53 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in :)

I've been using a reference GeForce 6800 Ultra for the last nine months. In our preview, I ran temperature tests, which are documented on the following page:

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6800_ultra/page_9.shtml

At normal room temperature, the GPU idled between 47 - 49 C. Under load, the GPU temperature increased to 63 C.

After reading this thread last night, I disassembled the cards' cooling unit and removed the dust that had accumulated. I also removed the thermal paste from the GPU and heatsink and applied Artic Silver 5.

I've been running temperature tests this evening and the GPU now idles at 41 C.

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/gpu_temp_idle.gif

While running continuous Enemy Territory timedemos in windowed mode, the GPU reaches a peak temperature of 61 C.

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/gpu_temp_load.gif

The best news is that the results were obtained with the core running at 450MHz, which is 50MHz over the default clock speed. Before, the core would only reach 415MHz.

Right now, the memory only overclocks to 1.12GHz, which could increase if I replace the thermal pads that are sandwiched between the memory and heatsink.

BTW, these tests were run with the case closed.

Hyperspam
01-25-05, 06:22 PM
NV 5 ain't all it's cracked up to be, it's just a thin sheet off copper with an aluminum HS glued on top with a cheap blower on top. Can't really expect much from that. You'd be better off getting a solid copper HS or water cooling if you want lower temps.
That's BS. The copper sheet is far from thin. It's quite solid, and the aluminium fins are an advantage as it gets rid of heat faster than copper. The fan also blows directly out of the case, which helps lowering the ambient temperature in your case greatly. A solid chunk copper sink might be good in theory but if the heat can't get away from the sink or your case, the temps will just keep rising. I'll personally never settle for a graphics cooler that just spreads the heat inside your case again.

Currently idling at 48, by the way.

NemesisChild
01-25-05, 06:22 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in :)

I've been using a reference GeForce 6800 Ultra for the last nine months. In our preview, I ran temperature tests, which are documented on the following page:

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6800_ultra/page_9.shtml

At normal room temperature, the GPU idled between 47 - 49 C. Under load, the GPU temperature increased to 63 C.

After reading this thread last night, I disassembled the cards' cooling unit and removed the dust that had accumulated. I also removed the thermal paste from the GPU and heatsink and applied Artic Silver 5.

I've been running temperature tests this evening and the GPU now idles at 41 C.

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/gpu_temp_idle.gif

While running continuous Enemy Territory timedemos in windowed mode, the GPU reaches a peak temperature of 61 C.

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/gpu_temp_load.gif

The best news is that the results were obtained with the core running at 450MHz, which is 50MHz over the default clock speed. Before, the core would only reach 415MHz.

Right now, the memory only overclocks to 1.12GHz, which could increase if I replace the thermal pads that are sandwiched between the memory and heatsink.

BTW, these tests were run with the case closed.

Nice results, Mike C
AS5 for the GPU definitely makes a difference.
Now, remove those nasty thermal pads and apply a decent thermal paste to the memory. You may see some improvement, but I'm not sure if the Ultra's memory modules generates that much heat. I know for a fact that the GT's don't, but I applied some good paste to the memory anyways when i installed my NV5. In my situation, upgrading & adding better case fans made a huge difference as well in lowering my temps (especially load temps).

MikeC
01-25-05, 06:57 PM
Nice results, Mike C
AS5 for the GPU definitely makes a difference.
Thanks.

But I think that AS5 is what AMD refers to as a phase-change material, which they do not recommend as a thermal interface material (page 33).

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26633_5649.pdf

I suppose this also applies to GPUs.