PDA

View Full Version : eVGA Geforce 6600 GT...still freezes.

davethebrave
01-23-05, 12:04 AM
About a week ago, I posted on this forum that I was having trouble with my video card freezing. I said...:

Alright, I bought a eVGA Geforce 6600 GT, along with a 350 watt power supply (Sparkle 350-60PLN). I installed it with a 2.6 GHZ Pentium 4 processor in a PM800-M2 motherboard with VIA drivers. Five minutes into every game, it would freeze. I read up on the VIA AGP Controller problem, and, completely failing to fix it after trying a huge host of fixes, and pretty convinced that was the problem, sent it back and bought an ABIT IS-10 motherboard with an Intel Chipset. Now, my games freeze at completely random times. Some games will freeze 5 minutes in, sometimes 15, sometimes 30, and, as is the case with Call of Duty, not at all. I have tried the drivers that came with the CD, the newest ones from nVidias site, and some beta drivers off of the Guru of 3d. On the PM800-M2 board, I switched to a PCI Geforce FX 5200 for about a week and a half. No freezings or anything, so I don't think that the ram is a problem, and it has to be a problem that carried over from another board. The card requires a 350 watt power supply, and thats what I have. Should I shoot for the moon and buy a huge power supply? Is the video card defective? Am I an idiot and missing something? PLEASE, ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER! Thanks to everyone who looked...

Well, I got a lot of responses saying it was overheating. I tried sticking a big, 20" fan next to it and started playing. Before the fan, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault would freeze maybe five minutes in at most. Sometimes it would freeze at the menu screen. With the fan, It didn't freeze. After the first fan test, I took it away and ran the computer without the fan, so, like I normally did. It froze 5 minutes into the game. So, I naturally concluded that heating was the problem. I did, however, run into another freezing, indentical to all the rest, during another playtest with the fan, about 25 minutes into a game of MOH:PA. I wrote it off as bad circulation and bought two fans for the computer: a Vantec Fan-Card, and a Vantec Tornado Case Fan. I received the products, installed them, and everything was going fine. No freezings at all for about 2 days. Well, about 10 minutes into Doom 3 a minute ago, it froze. Identical to all other freezings: no warning, complete system lock-up, sound stops, have to manually restart. WHAT IS GOING ON!? How can two high powered fans only delay the freezing? Can the video card really overheat that bad? Is it defective? I don't understand! PLEASE help, and thanks to everyone interested!

Clay
01-23-05, 12:13 AM
I missed your original post but have you been able to try a different PSU in your system to rule that out? Even if a 5200 worked fine with that PSU the power requirements are different than what a 6600GT requires. It sounds like a PSU issue to me. Also, is there any way that you can try the 6600GT in another system? That would really help to narrow down the scope of possible causes as well.

jAkUp
01-23-05, 12:27 AM
How are your temps? Also, try a different psu like clay suggested. Are you running the latest Beta catalyst? If not, give those a shot. www.nzone.com

davethebrave
01-23-05, 06:04 PM
I am preparing to order a 500w psu. How important is it to have an unshared molex for the 6600 GT? And how do I check temperatures for my video card?

Clay
01-23-05, 06:08 PM
It kind of depends what it's shared with (how many times it's split too). But it should be fine to share it although using an unshared would be a good test if you haven't already. You can view your temperatures in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

01-23-05, 06:48 PM
Tagan 480W 28A PSU, do you really have to have the molex cable labeled VGA in the VGA card, cannot you have another different cable instead?

Clay
01-23-05, 06:52 PM
You can use any of the molex connectors.

davethebrave
01-23-05, 06:54 PM
Argh, hate to sound like a nub, but I can't find anywhere in the control panel where to view the temperatures...

Clay
01-23-05, 07:18 PM
My bad, you probably need to download and install NVTweak (used to be Coolbits). See more info here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39222

davethebrave
01-26-05, 04:23 PM
Tested it on a 500 watt psu. Froze five minutes into Doom 3, after not playing games for about 12 hours and a fresh restart. Right after I installed the fans last week, I could get a good 45 minutes into it without it freezing. So, I guess the insufficient power idea is thrown out, but this problem is just getting more and more confusing.

As for NVtweak, I installed it and activated all the commands, but the "hardware" menu, where I presume all the temperature data is shown, doesn't show up, even if I enable it in NVtweak...thanks for all the help so far though, everyone...

davethebrave
01-26-05, 06:58 PM
Right click on your desktop, go to properties, then the settings tab. In the bottom right hand corner you'll see "advanced". Click there. Top right hand corner of the next window should say 6600 GT, click there. On the scroll bar to the left there should be a menu with "Temperature Settings". Go there.

Did what you said...there is no "Temperature Settings" menu..

burneysm
01-26-05, 07:24 PM
According to this:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp_roundup/page4.asp

The eVGA 6600 GT doesn't have the temp sensor enabled.

davethebrave
01-26-05, 07:34 PM
According to this:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp_roundup/page4.asp

The eVGA 6600 GT doesn't have the temp sensor enabled.

Thank you, that explains it...well, that leaves me in a fix with checking temperatures :(

davethebrave
01-27-05, 03:11 PM
Can anyone help? I'm stumped. I haved emailed eVGA about the issue, under the notion that the card may be defective..

I was thinking about trying the tweak of setting the 2D and 3D clock settings the same that has solved some 6800 problems...problem is, the default 2D settings for the 6600 is 300/900, while it is 500/900 for 3D...a big gap...what's the best way I should go about this?

davethebrave
01-27-05, 11:33 PM
I read somewhere that the IRQ of the video card should be less then 15 and preferably 10. Mine is 16, with nothing before it but my integrated audio directly after it(at 17)...I can't change it in XP though...suggestions..?

davethebrave
01-29-05, 04:08 PM
Was told by eVGA to try new drivers. Didn't work...I'm really starting to think the card is defective...Does anyone have any ideas, though?