PDA

View Full Version : Sub placement

extreme4377
01-23-05, 02:29 AM
Im having trouble finding the best spot for my sub. Where it is now doesnt allow the sub to perform at its best ability. Its got great bass but I know it can be better, at least compared to my friend's. We both have Z-5500s and his sub performs much better. What would you guys recommend? Is there some sort of special way to test the best place for your sub? TIA

EDIT: Heres a pic of where it is right now.
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/8237/desk21ds.jpg

superklye
01-23-05, 02:45 AM
haha, dude...that's EXACTLY where I've got the 5300's sub. :) It really pisses off the guys downstairs. :)

But how do you mean "best spot"? I thought with subs, it didn't really matter all that much where they were. I thought the best place was about a foot from a wall, with the horn facing it so that the soundwaves hit the wall and reverberate back out into the room...other than that, it's super-low, so why would it matter all that much where it's located?

Saibot
01-23-05, 12:54 PM
You will get the best performance from a subwoofer if it's sitting in the corner of a room. I've played around with the placement quite a bit and corners always work best for me. When I first set up my home theater system in this house I messed with speaker placement for a week before I was happy with everything. The subwoofer consists of two 12" JL Audio drivers in a very large box and if you move it out of the corner the bass just disappears. When it's a few inches from the walls in the corner it will shake the house with a 20Hz test tone. Placement is the most important factor with a subwoofer in my experience. The same goes for the little 6.5" sub for my PC speakers - the corner is the only place that I get acceptable sound.

extreme4377
01-23-05, 03:39 PM
Thanks saibot

$n][pErMan
01-23-05, 06:45 PM
My sub sits on the floor about 2 feet from me and works great.

Serrasalmus
01-24-05, 11:38 AM
sometimes with subs in order to get the best sound you need to reverse the polaity i have found it helped for me

PaiN
01-24-05, 12:15 PM
Hmm....performance :) right, my sub performs incredibily as a foot stool, other than that if I turn it up more that a 1/4 I'm bounced out of my chair. lol

|JuiceZ|
01-24-05, 12:41 PM
For home theater or pc multimedia systems, you always want the sub in the corner. The 10" sub that comes w/ the z5500's is in a wooden ported enclosure and will hit the hardest setup next to a wall with the woofer pointed directly into the corner. Reversing the polarity as Sailbot said can also work although its usually more noticable when it comes to car audio setups.

Sailbot, funny you mentioned using car those JL's in your home theater setup, I'm been thinking of doing the same. What kind of power do you have pushing them? Amp?

nVidi0t
01-24-05, 03:00 PM
I use my sub as a stool in the corner of the room. The top has actually been worn out by my feet over the years!

But yeah, placing it in the corner definately sounds best.

superklye
01-24-05, 03:24 PM
So any corner or near the front/back/left/right/what side?

BrianG
01-24-05, 03:34 PM
Any corner works. For the Home Theater,I get best results 1' from each wall in the corner. The best way to test is to just try moving it. It is a trial and error thing.

superklye
01-24-05, 03:43 PM
hmm...I don't have much room to putz with my 5300s in my room, but the way I have it set up is that the woofer is about 2 inches from the wall, and the horn (or whatever it's called) is shooting toward my closet door which is about two feet away...the bass seems just fine, and it's a pretty small room.

In my new apartment that I'll be moving to in June, I should have more room to mess with the woofer and I'll try this out.

I was always told you should have it behind the center channel about a foot from whatever wall(s) it was by and have the woofer/horn facing the wall so that the sound hit the wall and bounced back throughout the room.

BrianG
01-24-05, 03:46 PM
Sound quality is all that matters. Put it where it sounds best.

Just make the port has room to breathe...

extreme4377
01-24-05, 05:40 PM
hmm, Ill have to move my desk over and put it in the corner. I have it under my desk right now which sounds great when Im sitting in my chair or directly in front of the sub or sitting on my bed but other areas of the room theres almost no bass. Ill try it out tomorrow. Ive got finals to study for tonight. Thanks guys!

Saibot
01-24-05, 06:28 PM
For home theater or pc multimedia systems, you always want the sub in the corner. The 10" sub that comes w/ the z5500's is in a wooden ported enclosure and will hit the hardest setup next to a wall with the woofer pointed directly into the corner. Reversing the polarity as Sailbot said can also work although its usually more noticable when it comes to car audio setups.

Sailbot, funny you mentioned using car those JL's in your home theater setup, I'm been thinking of doing the same. What kind of power do you have pushing them? Amp?

You're right, those subs used to be in the back of a truck I once owned - too big for the car I have now. I'm powering them with an Optimus stereo reciever that I bought used several years ago. I don't know the exact specs but I'm sure it's at least 200W. It's connected to the subwoofer output from my main surround receiver. Yeah movies ROCK at my house. :D

|JuiceZ|
01-24-05, 08:06 PM
You're right, those subs used to be in the back of a truck I once owned - too big for the car I have now. I'm powering them with an Optimus stereo reciever that I bought used several years ago. I don't know the exact specs but I'm sure it's at least 200W. It's connected to the subwoofer output from my main surround receiver. Yeah movies ROCK at my house. :D

heheh, sweet :afro:

gmontem
01-24-05, 08:31 PM
Put the sub where you sit and while playing some low frequency test tones walk/crawl around the room where you can place the sub. The spot where bass output sounds loudest is where you will want to place your sub.

Clay
01-24-05, 08:33 PM
I always new the corner was best, but this thread got me to thinking..."why exactly?" Her you go:

http://www.audiopro.com/products/subwoofers/subwoofer.asp
http://www.onhometheater.com/features/20040515.htm
http://www.sonicdesign.se/subplace.html
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/subwooferplacementguide.php
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/1709.html

|JuiceZ|
01-24-05, 09:08 PM
Good links Clay :thumbsup:

Clay
01-24-05, 09:14 PM
NP, I learned a thing or two in reading those. :)

crainger
01-25-05, 01:56 AM
I also heard that the corner or near a wall was best, but only for low powered subs. I was told that a top quality should be place away from walls a little more if theres room, this is to stop the bass becoming kinda "muddy" or something. Plus theres also directional and non directional subs I hear, which makes things even more confusing. Apparently non directional subs don't really care where they go.

Anyways my 680 sub is to the right of me up against the wall (not alot of room to work with) and it sounds and feels great. :D