PDA

View Full Version : Im not understanding this refresh rate thing?

newls1
01-23-05, 10:05 AM
for years now i've been using the Nvidia driver "force refresh rate" tool that coolbits unlocks in the driver control panal. People here are saying that you lose performance/FPS in games using this tool, so downloading refresh force would be the prefered way of "forcing" the correct refresh rate without losing performance. So after reading all this, I downloaded refresh force, installed it, and set it up, but haven't had a chance to play HL2 yet, or UT2004, but do you think i'll notice a difference? Oh, ya, before installing Refresh Force, I went in the nvidia control panel, and DISabled "force refresh rates" so refresh force will control everything. :cool:

newls1
01-23-05, 12:38 PM
I can't notice much of a difference in any refresh rate over 75, except that I have to re-adjust all of image properties on my monitor. In fact, I actually believe that the image gets blurrier with increased refresh rates. I'm sure many will disagree though, everyone and their dog is all about higher refresh rates.

Well, ok, but this really donesnt answer my question.

adpr 02
01-23-05, 12:42 PM
I did also notice the bluryness. I actually like it It may be that it gets smoother? anyway, it is a lot better for my eyes, and they don't get tired with a refresh rate of 100(as high as my monitor goes)

quik_2_win
01-23-05, 02:10 PM
Indeed 100hz does seem to blur the image slightly- gives it more of a 'photogenic' appearance. I've noticed that mouse movement is smoother at 100hz than at say 75 or 85 also...maybe it's just me?

Slammin
01-23-05, 02:38 PM
Well, ok, but this really donesnt answer my question.

Right, I think you are talking about that driver bug where you take a HUGE performance hit when using Nvidia's driver to force refresh rate. I have no idea if it is fixed because I always use ReForce.exe now.

Rytr
01-23-05, 02:56 PM
I do not use force refresh as I have no need to. It was needed with certain games/graphic cards/drivers because the refresh rate would not stay set. Fortunately, I have never encountered this problem and have been able to always set my CRTs refresh rates to 85Hz and have not had any problems.

Of course, as you probably know, LCD's refresh rate setting is not the same as found on CRTs.

NightFire
01-23-05, 08:01 PM
I keep my refresh at 75 all the time. For me, it hits the sweet spot between preventing eye soreness, and reducing bluryness.