PDA

View Full Version : no overlay brightness etc controls on new 6600GT

flah
01-23-05, 10:30 AM
I just bought a new 6600 GT graphics card, but it doesn't seem to have any brightness, saturation, etc. controls for the overlay. Does anybody else have this problem?

I am hoping somebody can set my mind at rest and tell me this is just a problem with the current linux drivers, because if 6600's really do not have these controls, then I just wasted a lot of money to buy a noisy 95% useless downgrade from my MX440.

If you are reading this and you are a linux user with a 6600, do any brightness XV attributes show up for you in the output of xvinfo?

aargh. I have googled and scanned through the rest of the forums for anybody having probs with brightness but found nothing.

thanks in advance for any help/info

flah
01-23-05, 10:35 PM
Now that I am registered I was able to do a search of these forums and I did find someone else who posted about the same problem.
I will put copy my post as a reply on that thread instead to keep it all together.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43238&highlight=brightness
That guy has had no really useful response either.

In my opinion the forum moderators should make the search functionality accessible without a registration.

If there is any official nvidia people reading this could you please let us poor 6600 users know if this is a driver problem (ie there is some hope for us), or if I should just bin this card now. I think it is ridiculous that I just spent 3 times what the cost of my MX440 on this card ( at the time I bought it) just to find out it doesn't have the same capabilities which have been present in geforce cards since at least GF3.

I also have a TNT2, a GeForce 3, MX440, and Ti4200 (though I have been using the MX440 because I can get it's TV-out to work) and everything except the TNT2 has overlay colour controls. I wouldn't be surprised if the original GeForce and GeForce 2 had these controls - which would mean that the 6600 is a step back to TNT2 technology.

As an nvidia customer who has bought over 5 nvidia graphics cards, I am feeling a bit ripped off at the moment. Having antialiasing and a higher frame rate for the 3 hours that I play quake per week does not make up for a video card that is useless for the 20 or so hours per week that I am watching tv or watching/working with video of some kind. It is OK for the other 20 hours when I am just using plain 2D non-video apps, but then, so is my TNT2.

I will post anything further that I find out about this onto that other thread.

Cota
01-24-05, 01:12 AM
There is a linux forum, you know?

I can tell you it works under windows.

flah
01-24-05, 06:57 AM
ah, thanks for your reponse.

I initially posted here in the forum for the 6000 series instead of in the linux forum because I was hoping for a response like yours from someone who it works for, so that I can discount it being a hardware problem. Once I know it is a linux driver issue I'll be able to just use my MX440 until it's fixed. If the overlay controls are not supported by the card itself, then it is useless to me (compared to my budget MX440) and I'll have to bin it or try to flog it off to some other unsuspecting person.

Just to be sure, do you have brightness controls which affect your video overlay only, not the whole screen? This is what I need as changing the brightness of the whole screen (which does work) makes everything other than the video window unacceptably bright and rapidly tires my eyes.

rewt
01-24-05, 07:12 AM
Just to be sure, do you have brightness controls which affect your video overlay only, not the whole screen?

In Windows, yes. There is a section in color correction dedicated specifically to Overlay/VMR.

flah
01-30-05, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately, I've since tested the above mentioned color correction section for the Overlay/VMR, and found that the brightness did not work (The knob was enabled and was able to be dragged, but would not have any effect). The contrast worked - the gamma was not enabled. I also tested at work with a couple of 6600's (not GT's) pci express models and found identical behaviour.
Additionally I am pretty sure that one of the other controls in a different dialog worked - I think it was a hue control. Changing the color line in the diagram with the draggable points also had no effect.

sponken23
01-31-05, 03:26 PM
I also noticed that there was something strange with the overlay settings, not to mension the tv settings in general. This is in Windows by the way. For me the brightness slider works, but it is much less sensitive than on my old card. also the settings don't take effect by just dragging the slider, you have to push apply too. try to set it to 160 % and you will see a difference. I also noticed that if you are using vmr9 as the renderer, the settings have no effect at all.

The tv-out screen position settings are also broken. You can't save them with the presets. And if you think you have found a good position that you want to keep, some movies just overrides your settings. For example playing a movie with subtitles make the screen go to max overscan. I've always used TV Tool before for these kind of settings, but it isn't supportet on the Geforce 6 cards because nvidia won't give out the information needed to implement the TV-chip in the cards.

By the way. I'm using the latest non-beta drivers, 66.93

sponken23
02-01-05, 07:43 AM
I did some more testing and found out that you don't have to push the apply button to make the settings take effect, but you can't pause the movie and move the sliders. If you have the movie running while making the changes it will take effect right away. On my Geforce 4 card I could pause the movie and move the sliders.

donkyboy
02-05-05, 03:56 AM
Yes ive just brought myself to pci express 6600gt video cards and found the same problem as you guys if someone is reading this that knows wot is going on
it would be a great help plus my tv out doesnt seem to work either
its comes on when i start the computer up but dissapears as windows starts
loading drivers so im guessing its a driver issue???

flah
02-12-05, 11:38 PM
I did some more testing and found out that you don't have to push the apply button to make the settings take effect, but you can't pause the movie and move the sliders. If you have the movie running while making the changes it will take effect right away. On my Geforce 4 card I could pause the movie and move the sliders.

Yeah after my last post I tried it again and found the same thing - I can get a tiny (perhaps 1 - 5%) brightness change going from min to max. Also as you said, it only takes effect once the video player (I was using windows media player for my tests) has a chance to render another frame. Proper overlay controls are a hardware thing, I think, and should take effect straight away.

I believe that the controls do not work at all and instead the nvidia drivers (or whatever provides the draggable controls) are just providing some hint to the video codec to tell it to render the video slightly brighter. Ditto for the contrast control - although it seems to work, and has more of an effect than the brightness control, it is also changing it to such a small extent that it only seems like it is changing the brightness. With a proper contrast control you should be able to adjust it so that the whole picture looks muddy or grey because all the colours are so similar to each other. I can't get anywhere near that.

I've emailed nvidia and initially got a promising 'please give us more info' type response, but since then, nothing. I am going to try and return the card. Unfortunately it's been a few weeks now so the store may not take it back :( Either way, I wont be buying any Sparkle rubbish again. Their web site is useless - it has no contact/support/feedback info at all, and no bios updates.