PDA

View Full Version : What happened to space combat sims?

Pages : [1] 2

Ninjaman09
01-23-05, 08:05 PM
I'm confused here. I'm pretty sure that about 5 years ago, space combat sims were some of the highest rated and most popular games around. I remember playing X-Wing, TIE Fighter, XvT, Freespace, Freespace 2, XWA, Wing Commander, etc. for HOURS at a time and loving every second of it. I really miss that genre - why the hell did they stop making those games? Can you imagine how awesome an original trilogy Star Wars space combat game would be (do NOT mention the horrendous Jump to Lightspeed)? Or another Freespace game? I mean, these were as sacred to me as the old FPS's of the time. PC gaming really has changed a lot over the past decade. It's almost depressing. It's just a competition between devs to see who can make the most advanced first person shooter now. I'm sick to death of first person shooters. I MISS MY SPACE COMBAT SIMS!

Clay
01-23-05, 08:07 PM
Did you ever play X2 The Threat? It was a bit heavy on the micromanagement side of things though.

retsam
01-23-05, 08:11 PM
the new starwars galaxies jump to light speed has the feel of xvt and has fully customizable ships.... i have found it very enjoyable

Daneel Olivaw
01-23-05, 08:11 PM
Ever played Freelancer? I was a big fan of XvT, but Freelancer owns space. (M$ did a damn fine job)

Ninjaman09
01-23-05, 08:12 PM
Ever played Freelancer? I was a big fan of XvT, but Freelancer owns space. (M$ did a damn fine job)
Crap, I did leave that out. Yeah, Freelancer was pretty awesome.

X2 was OK but didn't really interest me all that much, it was lacking the immersion that Freespace, for example, had.

jjjj64
01-23-05, 08:14 PM
I'm confused here. I'm pretty sure that about 5 years ago, space combat sims were some of the highest rated and most popular games around. I remember playing X-Wing, TIE Fighter, XvT, Freespace, Freespace 2, XWA, Wing Commander, etc. for HOURS at a time and loving every second of it. I really miss that genre - why the hell did they stop making those games? Can you imagine how awesome an original trilogy Star Wars space combat game would be (do NOT mention the horrendous Jump to Lightspeed)? Or another Freespace game? I mean, these were as sacred to me as the old FPS's of the time. PC gaming really has changed a lot over the past decade. It's almost depressing. It's just a competition between devs to see who can make the most advanced first person shooter now. I'm sick to death of first person shooters. I MISS MY SPACE COMBAT SIMS!

I was wondering what happened to space combat sims the other day. i used to love the orginial X-wing, the CD version was like the first computer game i bought with my own money,

Daneel Olivaw
01-23-05, 08:15 PM
Any expansion or sequel for Freelancer in 2005/2006?

I preferred the original Tie Fighter to anything. There was Admiral THRAWN!!!! Soon to become Grand Admiral. The coolest character in the whole SW universe.

Ninjaman09
01-23-05, 08:17 PM
Yes, TIE Fighter was undoubtedly the best of them all. I still play it occasionally, though the wavetable sound emulation in VDMSound is all messed up so I can't enjoy the extremely awesome musical score like I used to.

Daneel Olivaw
01-23-05, 08:18 PM
I think I got sound to work, not sure though, but I can't get the 3D to work, it works only in software. I don't even think there was sound... no.

Edge
01-23-05, 08:55 PM
I haven't found a space sim that's really interested me since Freespace 2. Although, that may be because the genre has practically been dead since then. I honestly don't think there's any space shooter in existance that has as many features as that game, from the massive capital ships to the beam weapons. It's like space sims suddenly wen the way of adventure games. I didn't get into Freelancer much...Starlancer was OK, but not really that exciting.

Great, now I want to go play Freespace 2 again...

Clay
01-23-05, 08:59 PM
Seems to me that the popularity of games in the adventure and space sim genre are cyclical. I'm not sure why, but it's as if there will be none to really speak of for few years and then a rash of them will come out all at once.

stncttr908
01-23-05, 09:55 PM
Freelancer's multiplayer definitely kicked ass, especially when you play with a group of friends over a Ventrilo server so you could voice communicate while you played. The freedom was very nice, and it was rewarding to save up for that killer ship, fully decked out with class 10 weapons.

RealLifePixelShader
01-24-05, 01:14 AM
Wing Commander rock EA never should have taken over Origin they killed the best games ever we could have had wing commander 2005 by now.

VIVA Wing commander

jAkUp
01-24-05, 01:55 AM
I used to love the original Rebel Assault :)

gigapower
01-26-05, 11:23 AM
I used to love the original Rebel Assault :)
I was playing this on my 3D0 the other day.

gmontem
01-26-05, 12:16 PM
Speaking of Wing Commander, does anyone know where I can get the DVD edition of Wing Commander 4? I would love to check that one out. I'm referring to the DVD version with the MPEG-2 videos, not the version where 6 or so CDs were dumped into one DVD.

wshadow
01-26-05, 12:55 PM
wish they would make a PC version of Robotech ;)

Riptide
01-26-05, 01:26 PM
Yeah a PC version of Robotech would be excellent.

I also loved Wing Commander. Played every last one of them including expansion packs. When Wing Commander II/III came out I was on the waiting list for a reserved copy. :)

With today's gfx technology I would happily pay $50 for a remake of the original. The second one remade would be awesome as well.

Starlancer was alright, just nothing real special IMO. It was entertaining for a once-through though. I dunno why this genre completely died. I think Freelancer, though it wasn't a bad game, kinda helped to destroy it with the idea that the joystick was bad.

Ninjaman09
01-26-05, 02:45 PM
I think Freelancer, though it wasn't a bad game, kinda helped to destroy it with the idea that the joystick was bad.
Yeah, this really got me annoyed. I really would have preferred a joystick, though the mouse controls were good.

stncttr908
01-26-05, 04:02 PM
Not that I was schooled in space combat sim play with a joystick, but I thought Freelancer's mouse control was executed very well.

Riptide
01-26-05, 04:26 PM
I want Wing Commander 6: Return Of The Kilrathi

:D

Slybri
01-26-05, 07:32 PM
Agreed! Space Combat sims were one of the best things about PC gaming. Now it's hard to find any simulator games at all. You can find tons of racing sims now but how many flight sims came out this last year? Tanks sims? Chopper sims? Silent Hunter 3 should be out in march, at least. I'm looking forward to that big time.

I loved X2 but it got boring after a while. Great graphics and deep economy, but the combat and story were lacking. I may check out the add on though.

I wish they'd make another Xwing game. Those were some of the best PC games ever made. It would also give me a reason to buy one of these bad boys..

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=985

Edge
01-26-05, 07:44 PM
Hmm, those who enjoyed X2 might want to check out Independance War 2 as well. It's another decent shooter/resource game, although it's quite a bit more simple and limited than X2. I still remember the days of playing the original X...can't tell if they were good memories or bad ones...or both...

Oh, and for those who haven't played it, the prequel campaign to "I've found her", a free Babylon 5 space sim, is availible to download from their website: http://ifh.firstones.com/

Vagrant Zero
01-26-05, 07:51 PM
There needs to be more Space games in general. I'm sick of High Fantasy.

Riptide
01-26-05, 09:03 PM
Speaking of space games in general... Star Control II was an awesome game. The third was such a disappointment to me. I never could get anywhere with it and more or less just gave up on it.