PDA

View Full Version : Nforce SW IDE Driver

Tr1cK
01-23-05, 10:07 PM
Well I dont know why, but everytime I put the IDE driver on here it slows my boot time WAY down. It slows on the screen after the initial load screen that just has the bar going across the botom, before the screen that has the Windows XP logo and the little load bar. My boot drives are RAID0 off a Highpoint card. I do have some virtual memory on the drive on the nforce IDE, but its even slow when I disable it. I tried using the Windows driver, and I guess it did ok. I didnt find any problems in it. I just thought the nforce driver would give better throughput, which it did slightly. Any suggestions? How many run the driver on the NF3s? Is there a fix for the slow boot?

superklye
01-23-05, 10:15 PM
I never, EVER use the nFORCE IDE driver. It only recognized my 60GB hard drive...nothing else. My DVD RW and CDRW were both just gone. Uninstalling them wouldn't reinstall the original Windows IDE drivers, so I had to reformat again.

fivefeet8
01-23-05, 10:31 PM
I use to have problems with the older SW IDE drivers, but the newer ones seems to have fixed a lot of bugs. So now I'm using the SW IDE drivers and they work fine. The Nforce drivers also had a few problems with the Ethernet driver crashing your computer when online. That seems have been fixed with the newer drivers as well.

Rytr
01-23-05, 10:38 PM
I use the latest versions on both NF2 and NF3 boards with no problems.

netviper13
01-23-05, 10:47 PM
I use the latest versions on both NF2 and NF3 boards with no problems.

Ditto. The only problem I have is that XP will not recognize my 200gb backup drive until the nForce SW driver is installed, but that's not too major of an issue.

superklye
01-23-05, 11:39 PM
okay, this is the same driver in the nForce driver package, right?

netviper13
01-23-05, 11:42 PM
okay, this is the same driver in the nForce driver package, right?

Yes.

superklye
01-23-05, 11:46 PM
what version are you guys using now that aren't casuing any problems? I had nothing but problems when using the 4.3.6.0 (according to Windows) drivers.

Am_I_Evil
01-23-05, 11:53 PM
what version are you guys using now that aren't casuing any problems? I had nothing but problems when using the 4.3.6.0 (according to Windows) drivers.

the older versions were messed up and had problems....

but the newest ones are fine....

superklye
01-24-05, 12:44 AM
Blast! Alright...I do believe I shall be ordering the NF7-S rev. 2 and when I get it, I'll make sure to install those drivers...hopefully they do work.

zoomy942
01-24-05, 06:07 AM
my new gigabyte S939 mobo with an nforce 3 ultra chipset is coming tomorrow ( i am finanlly leaving S754 and via behind) and i'll keep an eye out to see if my nforce drivers act up

Tr1cK
01-24-05, 07:08 AM
So nobody has the slow boot issue?

It's only after I install the driver. I've tried the 5.10s and some beta 6 series. I waited until everything else was installed, which it was still booting normal, then installed the driver. Thats when the nice 30 second pauses started. When I originally put the board in, it was on the same install of windows (gotta love a pci RAID card). I thought it was just because I had used 3 different boards on the same install, so I reinstalled and still have the problem. I mean, its slow enough by the time the thing initializes the RAID array, the gigabit LAN, and then boots windows.

jolle
01-24-05, 07:14 AM
removing the NV ide driver seemed to cure alot of issues for me..
stability issues, couldnt complete 3dmark05 etc..
Running with MS IDE driver works just fine for me. (NF3 250GB board, MSI)

saturnotaku
01-24-05, 07:20 AM
I never really had any problems per-se with the NVIDIA IDE driver, but my system feels ever so slightly more responsive with the MS one. Also my boot times are a bit faster - I'm able to get to my Windows desktop in about 35 seconds on the MS driver compared to a little more than 40 on the NVIDIA one.

Hyperspam
01-24-05, 08:35 AM
Windows boots marginally faster with the Microsoft driver but in games that wants to use the swapfile alot, I feel the NVIDIA driver is alot faster. But i'm not really sure which one is really the one to use.