Cota
01-24-05, 03:06 AM
I'm looking for a widescreen 1280x720 projector

any suggestions?

I've seen reviews of the sanyo plv-z2 and z3 and the Panasonic AE700u

the sanyo looks like a nice option

crainger
01-25-05, 03:07 AM
From what I hear, they are all on par, the Sanyos dont have DVI though, they use another Digital connection (the name of which has escaped me) but its easy to buy a convertor. The Sanyo also has less of the screen door affect, however it isn't as bright as the Panasonic. I think also the Sanyo works alot better if your gonna mount it on the ceiling in a smaller room.

dynasty336
01-25-05, 01:45 PM
With DLPs you have to watch out fot the rainbow effect (trust me i had one) and with lcd you will more than likely have noticeable screen door effect.

ynnek
01-25-05, 01:52 PM
yea.. the rainbow effect varies between people.. I couldn't see it.. but my friend that was standing next to me says he could.

With DLPs you have to watch out fot the rainbow effect (trust me i had one) and with lcd you will more than likely have noticeable screen door effect.

Cota
01-25-05, 02:51 PM
I think I'll go for the Z3, it costs about half as a comparable DLP projector.

BTW I never noticed the rainbow effect on the DLP projectors I've seen, but the price is still too expensive compared to lcds.

I want it for a hometheather so I really don't need more than 800 lumens as it will be on a darkened room.

Nutty
01-25-05, 03:56 PM
Anyone care to explain what this screen door effect is for us projector noobs ?

Cota
01-25-05, 07:25 PM
Its sort of a pixelation effect on large screens most noticeable in lcd with native 800x600 and low quality 1024x768.

It's literally like looking through a screen door.
You'll see the little square pixels or mirrors that make up the structure of the picture, which is very distracting. The severity of this effect depends upon how far you're sitting from the screen.

dynasty336
01-25-05, 08:23 PM
be careful with the rainbow effect one day they just hit me lol its most noticible when there are bright whites and dark blacks on the screen at the same time, youll see them when you shift your focus and pan your eyes too quickt depending on the speed of the color wheel.

Daneel Olivaw
01-25-05, 09:55 PM
be careful with the rainbow effect one day they just hit me lol its most noticible when there are bright whites and dark blacks on the screen at the same time, youll see them when you shift your focus and pan your eyes too quickt depending on the speed of the color wheel.
I get that at school, for awhile I just couldn't look at the teacher's slides cause everytime my eyes would move I'd see this red----green fade around the edges of the screen.

dynasty336
01-26-05, 01:02 AM
http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

the first rainbow is an example of how a rainblow would appear or how that word would appear if it was being projected from a dlp projector. The second word Rainbow has no rainbow effect. It will really bother you in dark sceens sooner or later because you spot it thats it and you will find yourself looking for it after that just because you know its there.