PDA

View Full Version : My new lite on took a dump : (

Marcos
01-24-05, 07:17 AM
RMAing but check this out.

Received Lite-on it DVD 16x dual layer on a few days ago, installed, made copy to test, worked fine. Reinstalled farcry dvd, all is well. Watched Jonny Mnemonic via NvDVD, all is well. ****s and giggles decide to install the bundled Power DVD pro software. All is not well. Random freezing, crashing, tried to reinstall video drivers, dvd rom would not install drivers, would not recognize CD. Would not play Simpson DVD, Would not play Sonny Chiba DVD. I put my old DVD rom back in and everyhting was fine. **** happens, I hope my next one is fine, one of my friends oredered one the same say i got mine. I am still satisfied with lite on thats all ive ever used im just baffled that this thing would work fine then crap out on me..... :confused:

rewt
01-24-05, 07:42 AM
LiteOn makes some really good drives. And they update the firmware a lot too. So when you get your new drive make sure the firmware is up to date.

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_dvd%20rw.asp

Good luck!

Marcos
01-24-05, 09:30 AM
but it worked b4 :/ hmm odd well thx alot! we'll see

|JuiceZ|
01-24-05, 09:43 AM
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Sounds more like a software/driver conflict than hardware problem?

crainger
01-25-05, 02:01 AM
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Sounds more like a software/driver conflict than hardware problem?

Well I swear once installing either WinDVD or PowerDVD ages ago killed my Pioneer DVD drive. Tested it on multiple computers and after a reinstall it would read discs properly, and on occasion it would just freeze the system.

Perhaps one of the programs changed the region code on the DVD Drive or something else the drive didn't like.

At least even the burners are dirt cheap to replace these days.

bkswaney
01-25-05, 02:13 AM
Don't feel bad.
I have a new liteon that just sits there
and opens and closes for no reason. :(
Mine is about 3 months old and just started
doing this crap. :(

jAkUp
01-25-05, 02:19 AM
Yea, Liteon drives used to be better than they are now...

bkswaney
01-25-05, 02:31 AM
Would someone please tell me where these d@mn downloads are??

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_dvd%20rw.asp?Flag=1&Item=DR4FS0K&Model=LDW-411S

Above is the link url but no download.
Below is what I click and the above link is where it goes.
But no file. :(

DR4FS0K.zip

Marcos
01-25-05, 06:47 AM
ah crap are lite-onit drives all ****ty now or something? Im fedexin my rma tomorrow (thank you fedex account at work ;} ) if it gets back i will test it, I could have gotten a sony 16x dual layer dv-r that same day, it was on sale for the same price...

Kojiro
01-26-05, 12:36 PM
RMAing but check this out.

Received Lite-on it DVD 16x dual layer on a few days ago, installed, made copy to test, worked fine. Reinstalled farcry dvd, all is well. Watched Jonny Mnemonic via NvDVD, all is well. ****s and giggles decide to install the bundled Power DVD pro software. All is not well. Random freezing, crashing, tried to reinstall video drivers, dvd rom would not install drivers, would not recognize CD. Would not play Simpson DVD, Would not play Sonny Chiba DVD. I put my old DVD rom back in and everyhting was fine. **** happens, I hope my next one is fine, one of my friends oredered one the same say i got mine. I am still satisfied with lite on thats all ive ever used im just baffled that this thing would work fine then crap out on me..... :confused:

Your like my brother. Just much stupider (he doesn't sound like a three year old when he is gripeing). He had two seperate DVD burner drive and both worked fine, untill he noticed weird things hapening, like Drive constantly ejecting disk, read spead was rediculously slow, and the included burning rom kept freezing. Simply reinstalling windows was all he needed to do to fix the problem for the first drive. Then he bought a dual layer dvd burner, and similar things happened after a while. I don't know what he does with his comp, but it is software related.

You should check bios and see if bios detects the DVD burner, make sure that it's set to Ultra DMA, not PIO Mode. PIO mode requires processor interupts for functions that require none in Ultra DMA. This can freeze programs expecialy burning roms which require high CPU processing time slices. Why would it switch from Ultra DMA to PIO Mode, doesn't it automaticaly use Ultra DMA? Yes it should. However this is for OS. If windows can't use Ultra DMA, then it will switch to PIO Mode. This is what happened to my brother.

Re-installing windows would be the end all fix solution. Next time, use anti-virus and spyware apps to keep comp clean. Then I would pick up a full version burning rom, since the burning roms that come pakaged are mear shadows of the retail versions. I highly recomend Nero, it is simple, yet it gives more freedom for you to make just about any kind of CD or Dvd media.