PDA

View Full Version : msi 6600gt weird temp readings

rob1234
01-24-05, 11:32 AM
I was getting a lot of graphical anomalies running 3D games (especially chronicles of riddick) so I removed the heatsink, cleaned it, and put some arctic silver 5 on. Now, all the anomalies are gone (at least so far, I've only tested it for about 20 min). However, if I leave the temperature reading open (in the display settings) and play a game and quickly alt tab to the temperature it reads between 100 and 110 celsius and then within one or two seconds it drops to around 80 celsius. Is it possible for the temp to drop that fast. Any ideas on what the problem could be. Unfortunately, I never checked the temperature this way before I put the arctic silver on. Before I would just exit the game and open up the display settings and by then it would read around 80 or high 70's.

GuOD
01-24-05, 11:39 AM
It sounds like there isn't good contact between the heatsink and gpu. Try reattaching the heatsink, maybe you need more AS5

rob1234
01-24-05, 11:56 AM
I'll try that. How much AS5 should I be using. I've read you should use very little. Right now I have it so that when I squashed the heatsink down as hard as I could the AS5 made a circle on the gpu/ram that covers about 3/4 of it.

FlyVomit
01-24-05, 12:23 PM
I suspect that you were suffering from the tilting heatsink problem - just reseating it probably cured it. I doubt the AS5 had a significant effect.

rob1234
01-24-05, 12:30 PM
what about the temperature reaching 110 or is that a glitch seeing as it cools down so quickly. I've also noticed just running a 3d screen saver brings the temp upto high 60's but again it drops very quickly back down to the 50's.

saturnotaku
01-24-05, 01:42 PM
what about the temperature reaching 110 or is that a glitch seeing as it cools down so quickly. I've also noticed just running a 3d screen saver brings the temp upto high 60's but again it drops very quickly back down to the 50's.

That's simply a function of the fan and temp reporting in the drivers. It's common when you exit a 3D application, game, screen saver that the temperature immeidately drops by at least 3-5 degrees, before you even open the control panel as a matter of fact.

The best way to see how your temps are stacking up is to download the rthdribl demo (search for it). Unzip the contents, then open up your temperature display. Start the program and let it run in its window so you can see both displays. Let the program run at least 20-30 minutes and that should give you a good idea of how you're running.

rob1234
01-24-05, 05:10 PM
I put some more as5 on and put a weight on the heatsink for a few hours to push it down. That brought the idle temp down from 56 to 43. Then ran rthdribl for 25min and temp stayed between 85-86. When I closed rthdribl the temp immediately dropped down to 65 in less than two seconds and then after 30 seconds it was down to 53. So, does this sound normal now or do you think I should RMA it. Thanks.

Dazz
01-24-05, 05:58 PM
No i heard from Reviews that they run hot has the HSF does not have full contact with the GPU.

Well my MSI NX6800 runs at 30C idle and 37C underload so yours does does sound way too hot.

rob1234
02-01-05, 05:33 PM
In case anyone cares I RMA'd it and apparently they tested a bunch of msi 6600gt's and they all reached temps over 100 celsius. So, they're sending me a leadtek 6600gt instead. I noticed that the leadtek has no heatsink on the ram (i think). How important is that assuming i'd be overclocking? Think I should get some zalman ram heatsinks?

latinmike
02-01-05, 10:39 PM
I was getting a lot of graphical anomalies running 3D games (especially chronicles of riddick) so I removed the heatsink, cleaned it, and put some arctic silver 5 on. Now, all the anomalies are gone (at least so far, I've only tested it for about 20 min). However, if I leave the temperature reading open (in the display settings) and play a game and quickly alt tab to the temperature it reads between 100 and 110 celsius and then within one or two seconds it drops to around 80 celsius. Is it possible for the temp to drop that fast. Any ideas on what the problem could be. Unfortunately, I never checked the temperature this way before I put the arctic silver on. Before I would just exit the game and open up the display settings and by then it would read around 80 or high 70's. try changing your drivers are you using beta driver?................. :cool:

rob1234
02-02-05, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I tried a bunch of different drivers.

Gentle
02-02-05, 07:00 PM
Just so you know, sometimes more does not equal better.

Too much thermal material is bad sometimes... Ask around.

Gentle

rohit
02-03-05, 09:30 AM
MSI 66GT's are having MAJOR problems with HSF, causing high temps.
many sites have reported this prob.
U should consider RMA.
or even swich to a different brand. Leadtek is V good. i havent heard any probs with LEADTEK 66GT. No HSF on ram will affect memory O/C.

rob1234
02-03-05, 10:13 AM
Not to be rude but if you read my second last post I've already RMA'd it and all the MSI's they had at the store were overheating so they're sending me a leadtek (at no extra charge). Now, I was wondering if I should get some ram heatsinks for the leadtek since the heatsink only covers the gpu. But, I already found some (zalman) for $10 so I got them anyway. They come in a set of 8 so I'll have enough if I decide to go SLI. Thanks for the advise though.