PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap, the Xbox version actually looks pretty nice...

Pages : [1] 2

Edge
01-24-05, 07:05 PM
Well, it seems the Xbox version of the game went gold not that long ago. And to be honest...it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would (going from previews/videos). I mean, I expected it to look decent, but not mistakable for the PC version. I think it's really a tribute to just how scaleable the engine is...it's actually running on 3-year-old hardware that retails for $150. Oh sure, it cuts a few corners and upon close inspection it doesn't look near as good as the PC version on high-end hardware, but still pretty decent for a console game.

Here's a nice video that shows off some of the effects (lighting seems to be kept fully intact). Plus, it even shows off the coop mode :cool:

http://www.bems.be/includes/fr-movies/fr-movies/doom3xbox.asp

Edit: video is dead, looks like ID had them remove it from the site. Oh well, here's the older 2004 trailer of the Xbox version instead (note it's of a much earlier version, so there's more frameskips and such than the new footage shows): http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=993&type=wmv

CaptNKILL
01-24-05, 07:18 PM
I cant wait for the Collectors Edition to come out :)

My girlfriend loves Doom and cant wait to play D3 on XBox (her computer is waaay to slow). The best part is the collectors edition is going to come with Ultimate Doom and Doom 2! Youll also be able to play all of them in co-op, split screen, and 2-4 player Deathmatch!

Its going to kick so much ass :D

BTW, I cant view that movie with firefox. Cant install the stupid Quicktime plugin on it :lame:

Edge
01-24-05, 07:42 PM
Really? The game has splitscreen? I thought the only multiplayer was over Xbox Live? I can't imagine the game running those graphics on TWO screens, even one is pushing it.

Clay
01-24-05, 08:42 PM
I cant wait for the Collectors Edition to come out :)

My girlfriend loves Doom and cant wait to play D3 on XBox (her computer is waaay to slow). The best part is the collectors edition is going to come with Ultimate Doom and Doom 2! Youll also be able to play all of them in co-op, split screen, and 2-4 player Deathmatch!

Its going to kick so much ass :D

BTW, I cant view that movie with firefox. Cant install the stupid Quicktime plugin on it :lame:
This won't fix your plugin issue but get Quicktime Alternative instead: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

Also, you can view the source code of that page and you'll find this:
http://www.rmjv.net/vi/doom3xbox.mpg ;)

Not sure why they're forcing it be played via the Quicktime plugin *shrugs* anyway, just right-click, save as that link above I gave you and you're good to go. :)

MustangSVT
01-24-05, 09:09 PM
I already have Doom III for my PC. I've beat with every detail on, high res, AA, AF etc. and I thought it was great. I'm also going to get the XBOX version. The split screen multiplayer looks great, and I have a friend which I play co-op with (Halo/Halo2 and all my other XBOX games). I think it's going to be great to play with him in split screen. Probably not as good as the PC version since I was really amazed at the eye candy on my PC and I'll still play online only on PC version.

jAkUp
01-24-05, 09:43 PM
Quicktime is the worst media player I have ever used and I absolutely refuse to install that garbage. Thanks for showing us that quicktime alternative link!

Clay
01-24-05, 09:47 PM
NP :) Yeah Quicktime stinks! That site had Real Alternative as well (I loath the Real Player, Real ONE, etc...all bloatware). Media Player Classic (which comes with most of the codec alternatives) is excellent. No nonsense, loads fast, just works.

holmes
01-24-05, 09:58 PM
Looks good, but you can't really tell the extent of detail from that video. Not bad for an xbox though...

Edge
01-24-05, 10:16 PM
Hmm, not to rain on anyone's parade...but I haven't seen any recent previews that mention a split-screen mode in the game. My understanding was that it only supports multiplayer (coop and deathmatch) via Live or System Link...

Oh well, guess that just gives people a reason to bug their friends into getting the game too ;)

jAkUp
01-24-05, 10:30 PM
NP :) Yeah Quicktime stinks! That site had Real Alternative as well (I loath the Real Player, Real ONE, etc...all bloatware). Media Player Classic (which comes with most of the codec alternatives) is excellent. No nonsense, loads fast, just works.

Oh don't even get me started on Real player.

nutcrackr
01-25-05, 07:48 AM
coop would be so sweet on PC :(

Also I very much like quicktime.

Clay
01-25-05, 07:54 AM
I should clarify, the Quicktime codec is fine and I have no problem with it. It's the bloated player that I don't care for.

superklye
01-25-05, 10:59 AM
bloated and intrusive

jAkUp
01-25-05, 12:17 PM
I dont even think you can run the quicktime player full screen! Or can you?

superklye
01-25-05, 12:21 PM
Umm...I think the PROGRAM expands to fullscreen, but the videos don't.

In the useful software thread, someone posted a link to a site that has a Real Media and Quicktime subsitute so you can view the files but don't have to sue the ****ty players for both formats.

aAv7
01-25-05, 12:41 PM
I dunno...it looks nice for a xbox game, but it's still gonna be the same dissapointing, sucky game pc gamers have been exposed to since 8/3/04. Looks arent everything, doom 3 proves that. Looks beautiful but isnt a drop of fun...personally at least.

superklye
01-25-05, 01:29 PM
I dunno...it looks nice for a xbox game, but it's still gonna be the same dissapointing, sucky game pc gamers have been exposed to since 8/3/04. Looks arent everything, doom 3 proves that. Looks beautiful but isnt a drop of fun...personally at least.
QFT

circuitbreaker8
01-25-05, 04:23 PM
Still pretty amazing what they can do with a three year old console :lol:

OWA
01-25-05, 05:00 PM
Still pretty amazing what they can do with a three year old console :lol:
Yeah, I've been holding out for the PC release of BloodRayne 2 since I wanted to play it in high res but I finally broke down and bought the Xbox version last weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. Looks almost as good as the demo looks on my PC. In general, I think the graphics look pretty good on the consoles when the graphics (characters or whatever) are fairly large.

I'll definitely give the Xbox version of Doom 3 a go. It'll be nice to play it on the big screen and from the couch for a change.

emailthatguy
01-29-05, 03:57 AM
did they rip the link down? looks like they replaced it w/ a disclaimer. whats the french or german word for "anyone know a good lawyer?"

Edge
01-29-05, 05:50 AM
Hmm, a Google translation says that ID software told them to take the link down, even though the publisher Activision gave it to them. Well, that kinda sucks...reminds me of the Doom 3 pictures that ID had Nvnews.net remove. Oh well, as a consolation (hehe, I made a funny), here's a link to the older E3 2004 trailer of the Xbox version: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=993&type=wmv. It's a much earlier build of the game and it's a bit more rough around the edges than the newer footage (like the slight pause when the person shoots), but still looks pretty decent.

|MaguS|
01-29-05, 06:23 AM
I just don't like that the lowres textures are alot more obvious in the xbox since there even lower resolution. I will still get it for Coop Goodness!

ragejg
01-29-05, 07:43 AM
/me throws congratulatory candy bars @ an XBox for still being able to handle very modern games

/me realizes XBox cannot eat candy bars

/me eats candy bars

Edge
01-29-05, 09:24 AM
/me thinks Ragejg has lost it

Marcos
01-31-05, 07:01 AM
i always thought split screen sucked, it makes me want to fall over i get all dizzy.