PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3's 'Cell' to run at 4.6Ghz!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Princey
01-25-05, 12:55 PM
When Sony reveals the technical details of the highly-anticipated advanced microprocessor code-named Cell, they will announce that the new processor will run at 4.6 gigahertz. IBM, Sony and Toshiba will present four technical papers next month at the International Solid State Circuits Conference to be held in San Francisco.

The Cell is a multicore chip comprising a 64-bit Power processor core and multiple synergistic processor cores capable of massive floating point processing. Cell is optimized for compute-intensive workloads and broadband rich media applications, including computer entertainment, movies and other forms of digital content.

Sony plans to use the Cell to power its next generation PlayStation as well as home servers for broadband content and high-definition televisions.

Other highlights of the Cell processor design include:
Multi-thread, multicore architecture.
Supports multiple operating systems at the same time.
Substantial bus bandwidth to/from main memory, as well as companion chips.
Flexible on-chip I/O (input/output) interface.
Real-time resource management system for real-time applications.
On-chip hardware in support of security system for intellectual property protection.
Implemented in 90 nanometer (nm) silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology.

Link (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7511/Cell-Processor-to-Run-at-46-Ghz/)

Tr1cK
01-25-05, 01:19 PM
I wish Sony could make a "PS add-on card" for PCs. I dont know if it would be possible, I just HATE playing on a TV and without my keyboard/mouse. I mean if guys can make an emulator running in software mode, Sony should be able to make a hardware accelerator to run its games on a PC. Id be willing to pay up to full PS2 price if I could run the games.

Princey
01-25-05, 01:32 PM
I dont think there would really be a big enough market for it.

Ninjaman09
01-25-05, 02:00 PM
I MUCH prefer playing games on a TV screen to a computer monitor, I dunno about the rest of you. I like game controllers a lot better than keyboard+mouse too.

|MaguS|
01-25-05, 02:03 PM
The Cell chip will be used in Home PC's but not as a GPU and I dout Sony will allow any system to play thier games other then the PS3.

I don't know where they got the mhz number since none of the developers have spoken of it yet, it's only rumored to be between 4ghz to 10ghz (doutful but they claim it can scale to that speed, possibly future versions).

I do hope Sony plans for a DVI or VGA port, all home consoles should be able to do that. I do know that the console will bee 100% HDTV ready since that is the main reason to be using Blu-Ray discs, to be able to run lesser compressed movies.

DaveW
01-25-05, 02:42 PM
I MUCH prefer playing games on a TV screen to a computer monitor, I dunno about the rest of you. I like game controllers a lot better than keyboard+mouse too.

It depends entirely on the type of game you are playing.

The specs of the PS3 sound impressive, but the specs of consoles always do when they are first leaked. Remember the Xbox - "733 mhz?!? OMG thats crazy power!!11" it seemed pretty lame a year after it was actually released though.

I hope Sony and Microsoft quit messing around and put some serious memory in their consoles this time. At least 512 meg. Whats the point in having insane poly power and fill rates, when the level artists have to keep their maps small and their textures low res.

Ninjaman09
01-25-05, 03:21 PM
It depends entirely on the type of game you are playing.
Console games, then. Of course I like my PC games on my monitor. :D

And yes, more onboard RAM would be nice. I'm sure by the time these consoles are available we'll all be drooling quite a bit though, either way.

|MaguS|
01-25-05, 03:24 PM
PS3 is rumored to be using 256MB (not sure on amount but type has been confirmed) of XDR-RAM which will be running at 3.2GHz (6.4GB/s). This is more then enough for a console especially at that speed since consoles are alot more efficient with memory management. Look at the Xbox and what it was able to accomplish with just 64MB of normal SDRAM...

NAZCA M12
01-25-05, 03:48 PM
Look at the Xbox and what it was able to accomplish with just 64MB of normal SDRAM...

Destroy Deus Ex: IW and Thief: DS? :D :mad: :D Specs can be as impressive as they want, its the quality of games and backwards compatibility that counts, at least for me.

Vagrant Zero
01-25-05, 04:08 PM
Of my gig of ram about half of it is in use from random crap that a console doesn't have to deal with. 256mb should hopefully be enough.

circuitbreaker8
01-25-05, 04:15 PM

QFT....then again...I have a 42" Plasma HDVT :D

|MaguS|
01-25-05, 04:33 PM
I should hook up my consoles to our projector in the living room, never tried that... mainly use it to watch DVDs :o

Tr1cK
01-25-05, 04:44 PM
TV screen resolution and refresh just suck though. Unless you want to spring a ton of jack on a HDTV and even then the console has to support the output. I like when I can turn off graphic options too, especially when games try to use motion blur (NFSU). Take a crappy TV picture, add some motion blur, throw in some fast paced game play, and you have a totally unplayable game. Personally, I could care less about consoles, although I would like to be able to play Gran Turismo. I hate how you have to get console X for this game, console Y for that game, and console Z for the others. Its like having to have a Mac for a game. PC is THE gaming platform IMO. I might not have some of the console games I want to play, but quite a few console games do get ported and are better on PC after the fact.

circuitbreaker8
01-25-05, 05:08 PM
TV screen resolution and refresh just suck though. Unless you want to spring a ton of jack on a HDTV and even then the console has to support the output. I like when I can turn off graphic options too, especially when games try to use motion blur (NFSU). Take a crappy TV picture, add some motion blur, throw in some fast paced game play, and you have a totally unplayable game. Personally, I could care less about consoles, although I would like to be able to play Gran Turismo. I hate how you have to get console X for this game, console Y for that game, and console Z for the others. Its like having to have a Mac for a game. PC is THE gaming platform IMO. I might not have some of the console games I want to play, but quite a few console games do get ported and are better on PC after the fact.

Wait till you see the next gen games running @ 1080i with full AA :eek:

InqWoN1776
01-25-05, 08:06 PM
The only thing is I don't have an hdtv and after playing games on computers you can definitely see where "normal" tv's lack. I can't even watch "normal" projection big screens anymore... way too blurry. Hopefully with the onset of the next consoles I will buy a new tv, though. Well, I'll have to... It would be almost pointless to play the new consoles without one. This reminds of when we went from good looking 2D on the snes to a horrible attempt at 3D on the ps1.

Tr1cK
01-25-05, 08:15 PM
Wait till you see the next gen games running @ 1080i with full AA :eek:

I spend about 30 minutes a week in front of a TV only if South Park is on. I really don't care to spend a ton of money on a TV that will run that res. To me, that money is much better spent on a PC where I can do more than just play video games.

j0j081
01-26-05, 12:50 AM
when is ps3 due out anyway? i remember estimates were made a while back but it has slipped my mind...

|MaguS|
01-26-05, 01:34 AM
Sometime 2006 but Sony will show it off at E3 this year. I can't wait to see it first hand!

msxyz
01-26-05, 02:01 AM
It's rumored that the Cell chip will also perform most of the computations that today GPU do at Vertex Shading stage.

This will surely reduce the complexity of the GPU NVidia is designing (=smaller die, cheaper) but this also means that sony claims must be taken with a pinch of salt.

jAkUp
01-26-05, 02:09 AM
Are the new consoles going to apply AA in any way? is it even possible?

MUYA
01-26-05, 02:15 AM
If they don't then it's waste of time IMO. Next Gen Consoles should do a min of 4X aa :) or I am not going to buy one. Most likely they will have 'em.

|MaguS|
01-26-05, 02:16 AM
Um, Current consoles can... but very few games do it since its a small gain when playing on low resolution TVs. Many Xbox games do it hardware and the PS2 can do it software, main reason many PS2 games don't use it since its very cpu intensive.

Fatman
01-26-05, 02:16 AM
Ninja, when you registered to use the forums you agreed that you are 13 years of age or older and that keyboard+moouse combo is indeed better than console controllers. MODS THIS MAN SHOULD BE BANED! :D

|MaguS|
01-26-05, 02:18 AM
I prefer keyboard/mouse controls only in FPS, almost every other genre is better with a controller for me, maybe not MMORPGs but EQOA didn't feel bad really.

MUYA
01-26-05, 02:21 AM
Many Xbox games do it hardware and the PS2 can do it software, main reason many PS2 games don't use it since its very cpu intensive.
Limitations should have been lifted with next gen consoles and that is what i am on about.