PDA

View Full Version : Another SLI power supply death

Pages : [1] 2

jjjj64
01-25-05, 10:37 PM
I think my enermax 600w power supply just bit the dust, well there was smoke involved actually, I dont have a spare to test with but it sure does smell

jakup, what power supply did you end up getting, i think i will cut to the chase and just get one of what you got

jjjj64
01-25-05, 11:28 PM
I think my enermax 600w power supply just bit the dust, well there was smoke involved actually, I dont have a spare to test with but it sure does smell

jakup, what power supply did you end up getting, i think i will cut to the chase and just get one of what you got

hrm i think i have machines at work that i can test most of the pieces with tommorrow hopefuuly its just the power supply

JoKeRr
01-25-05, 11:55 PM
Can you explain again what exactly happend? Step by Step... I also have a Enermax Noisetaker (470W model without APF), and it's been simply awsome for me. Also, I accidentally shorted the mobo once with a screw driver, the enermax simply shut down and my entire system was just fine after I rebooted. hm, are you sure it's your enermax that's burning up? or it is something else, and your enermax simply picked up the fume, and shut down?

btw, modz plz move this thread to the 6800 PSU thread.

jAkUp
01-26-05, 01:43 AM
I have a PC Power and Cooling 510 deluxe right now, I've killed 3 Enermax's already. Keep in mind I had a PC Power and Cooling PSU earlier that I also killed, but I honostly think its because I have very dirty power here. I got a UPS and everything seems to be running great.

Usually decent PSU's such as Enermax have an automatic shutoff, so its very rare that it damages anything but the PSU.

If you want a good power supply, stick with PC Power and Cooling, or OCZ.

jAkUp
01-26-05, 02:03 AM
Get one of these power cables too

http://www.blackholecables.com/poweronyxplus.html

$80 for a power cord! Me wants :)

vläd
01-26-05, 08:13 AM
$70 for a power supply cable?!? :eek:

jjjj64
01-26-05, 08:25 AM
Can you explain again what exactly happend? Step by Step... I also have a Enermax Noisetaker (470W model without APF), and it's been simply awsome for me. Also, I accidentally shorted the mobo once with a screw driver, the enermax simply shut down and my entire system was just fine after I rebooted. hm, are you sure it's your enermax that's burning up? or it is something else, and your enermax simply picked up the fume, and shut down?

btw, modz plz move this thread to the 6800 PSU thread.

I was playing half life 2, I dont have the machine setup in its final spot so i dont have speakers plugged in yet, so i was plugging in headphones, while doing so i noticed the back of the computer was really hot, as i am getting back into my chair to continue gaming i start to smell that icky electronic burning smell and smoke starts pouring out the back of the computer, i kill the power and yank the cord, after a few minutes i plug it back it, hit the power swith and get nothing, i pulled the video cards, they didnt smell funny and were not overly warm, pulled the heat sink off the cpu, no singe marks or anything. so i decide to try swap out the power supply but the spare i have doesnt have the right connector for the mother board, i have brand new dell at work that i hope has pci express so i can test the video cards and i am sure i have something around the office that i can test the power supply with, the only other thing could be the cpu, but computers normally will power on even after you fry the cpu

jjjj64
01-26-05, 09:47 AM
well both video cards post ok in that dell here at work, no sign of damage, so i think they are ok :)

PSYCHODAD
01-26-05, 10:00 AM
well both video cards post ok in that dell here at work, no sign of damage, so i think they are ok :)
That's good to know.

jjjj64
01-26-05, 10:26 AM
it was most definately the power supply, i just tested it at work and let me just say there were fireworks and that very icky smell

JoKeRr
01-26-05, 11:24 AM
hm, RMA!!

holmes
01-26-05, 08:29 PM
ouch! Is this "SLI kill PSU" phenomenon common?
:confused:

Pandora's Box
01-26-05, 09:35 PM
i would grab a OCZ 600 watt power supply.

GlowStick
01-26-05, 09:48 PM
Hm this is kind of intresing that many people are experincing psu deaths from it!

I think we need more guinnes pings err test subjects to report thier results :D

tret
01-26-05, 10:45 PM
I have the OCZ 520W PSU and I havent had any problems with it....... yet!!

tret

macachia
01-27-05, 08:38 AM
hi, i a also searching for a PSU for my sli system. on my thermaltake 560w, im getting lousy reads of 11.2v under load and 11.4-5 idle on the 12v rail

any international online stores with PSUs that are good for me? can you suggest a couple of brands?

rombat
01-27-05, 09:44 AM
I played it safe and put two power supply in my case, good thing my case can hold two! :D

Pandora's Box
01-27-05, 10:08 AM
I have the OCZ 520W PSU and I havent had any problems with it....... yet!!

tret

I had to RMA mine. It died of an unknown cause. I spoke with an OCZ representative over AOL Instant messenger, then after he asked me what I had in my setup and what I had tried to fix the problem he set me up a RMA number. I then shipped my power supply out, gave him the tracking number and he then sent me a brand new OCZ 520 watt power supply that he personally tested and overnighted it via FedEx. :)

tret
01-27-05, 10:52 AM
Sounds like an easy company to deal with. I like that, hopefully I wont be needing to though.

tret

SpeedDemon
01-27-05, 05:51 PM
The crazy thing is that I have a TruePower380 in my Antec Sonata case that I've had for about a year. I just set up my SLI setup yesterday, and I walked back into the room today and thought I smelled a kind of burning electronics smell. Just a hint of it..... I have the computer lying on the ground open because I've been troubleshooting my SLI setup, and I notice that there actually was some smoke coming out of the Power Supply for a second. It freaked me out but the computer is still running. I think that I'm about to call up Antec right now and get the problem checked out. I think that the SLI setups must be really stressing these power supplies or something though.

jjjj64
01-27-05, 06:08 PM
The crazy thing is that I have a TruePower380 in my Antec Sonata case that I've had for about a year. I just set up my SLI setup yesterday, and I walked back into the room today and thought I smelled a kind of burning electronics smell. Just a hint of it..... I have the computer lying on the ground open because I've been troubleshooting my SLI setup, and I notice that there actually was some smoke coming out of the Power Supply for a second. It freaked me out but the computer is still running. I think that I'm about to call up Antec right now and get the problem checked out. I think that the SLI setups must be really stressing these power supplies or something though.

becareful if you try to turn it back on, mine initially died with a bit a smoke coming out, when i was testing it later to make sure it was the cause of the problems flames, sparks and smoke shot out the bottom as soon as i plugged the power supply in with it connected to a test machine, thank god i had it outside the case and not mounted with the bottom ponit directly at a CPU

Jedi Dwight
01-27-05, 10:25 PM
This is kind of odd to be blowing 400+ Watt power supplies considering according to sites like THG and The Tech Report (http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/sli/index.x?pg=12)
with a full-on Athlon 64 4000+, dual Ultras draw 365 watts at load and 223 at idle. Dual GT's, 361 watts, and 223 watts at idle.

BFG bundles a 550 Watt PSU with their 6800 GT SLI set.

mustrum
01-28-05, 11:18 AM
This is kind of odd to be blowing 400+ Watt power supplies considering according to sites like THG and The Tech Report (http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/sli/index.x?pg=12)
with a full-on Athlon 64 4000+, dual Ultras draw 365 watts at load and 223 at idle. Dual GT's, 361 watts, and 223 watts at idle.

BFG bundles a 550 Watt PSU with their 6800 GT SLI set.
Damnit! Will you ever learn!
You can't just say my System needs 360 Watts only so a 400 Watt PSU is fine!

A 400Watts PSU could deliver those 400 Watts only if all the rails are under 100% load. In reality one rail gets massive load and others aren't even cloe to 100%.
That's exactly why i'd never buy a dual rail PSU. You have one rail under heavy load then and the other is somewhat "bored" with the CPU.

365 Watts under load for the mentioned system would down almost any 450W PSU's out there fro sure since most of that load is on the 12V rail.

macachia
01-28-05, 01:23 PM
would this be ok? :

Enermax EG565AX-VE(G) FMA V2.0 (24P) RING CORE 535W

http://www.enermax.it/scheda_t...41f27eda8b8e246a5b01ca

for my fx55, dual 6800 ultras, 2 raptors, 2 dvd drives and 1 pci card. It will replace a thermaltake 560w which has a measly 22A on its +12v rail

thanks in advance

regards

jjjj64
01-28-05, 01:29 PM
would this be ok? :

Enermax EG565AX-VE(G) FMA V2.0 (24P) RING CORE 535W

http://www.enermax.it/scheda_t...41f27eda8b8e246a5b01ca

for my fx55, dual 6800 ultras, 2 raptors, 2 dvd drives and 1 pci card. It will replace a thermaltake 560w which has a measly 22A on its +12v rail

thanks in advance

regards

its rated lower than the enermax i just fried, from what i have been reading the PC Power and Cooling 510 is the way to go