PDA

View Full Version : Stutter poll, takes 10 seconds

Ruined
01-26-05, 01:21 AM
An individual on the Steam forums is attempting to approximate the percentage of individuals experiencing sound stuttering and visual stuttering bugs in the Source engine affects as of the most recent patch. If you have played Half Life 2 for a significant amount of time, please take 10 seconds to click on this link and vote in the poll, which has been posted in several general gaming forums.

Do you experience significant framerate and sound 'stuttering' while playing Half-Life 2?
http://soulcake.freestarthost.com/poll.htm

superklye
01-26-05, 01:35 AM
It works great sometimes, and other times...no. I played it on three different occasions tonight, so maybe, since my computer was still somewhat sluggish, even an hour after a session, that was the cause of the stuttering tonight?

Quick saving NEVER stutters, which is great, it just seems like for the first 30 seconds-minute after loading a new area, the game was a POS. If I quicksaved and then quickloaded immediately though, the stuttering would disappear.

I'm getting really sick of the ~5min load times, too. :rolleyes2

BioHazZarD
01-26-05, 08:48 AM
No stuttering after after the latest update.

SH64
01-26-05, 10:44 AM
Yes , i still get stuttering even with the latest patch :thumbdwn:

WeReWoLf
01-26-05, 05:02 PM
I still gggggggoooooooooooooooooot it.

Nutty
01-26-05, 05:19 PM
I get more stuttering now than before they patched it..

Riptide
01-26-05, 06:35 PM
Man did they do something to CS:S in the last week? It's making popping and crackling noises much worse than ever. It never even used to do that at all - now it's horrible for me. When it gets real bad it starts dropping frames even.

Rakeesh
01-26-05, 07:12 PM
Guys I honestly think that this is just one of those bugs that will never be fixed, everybody is just going to have to learn to deal with it, plain and simple (BTW, I don't like it anymore than you do.)

Valve has quite a reputation of never fixing any bug that requires a change in the fundamental design of the game.

The only time I have ever seen valve fix a bug like this was the sound dropping bug that existed in HL1 which most people experienced in multiplayer games whenever some program stole focus from HL1 that would make you permanently lose sound in the game until you would quit and restart. It took four years before they decided to rewrite the dsound rendering engine so that it was capable of being reinitialized on the fly, hence fixing the bug.

But the only reason they even did that was actually because adding further integration of the game into steam required them to make several back end changes anyways, so they went ahead and fixed several of the known design flaws in the process. But that in turn was also due in part to a monetary incentive.

WRT to the stuttering issues, they might make some speed optimizations to the engine here and there to lessen the impact of the bug, but they'll probably never fix the fundamental cause of the issue.

Sazar
01-26-05, 07:25 PM
no problems here...

Vagrant Zero
01-26-05, 08:00 PM
Used to have problems, now gone. Well the stuttering anways, I still get the occasional graphical glitch [from the game, not the drivers].