PDA

View Full Version : using artic silver 5

toby1
01-26-05, 06:18 AM
hi i have a 6800gt at the moment in a shuttle sn85g4v2, and i want my card to be cooler so i can over clock a little more, will using artic silver 5 improve cooling alot on my chip or is it not worth it?

any other suggestion would be good to, im a complete noob when it comes to cooling :rolleyes:

mustrum
01-26-05, 06:28 AM
hi i have a 6800gt at the moment in a shuttle sn85g4v2, and i want my card to be cooler so i can over clock a little more, will using artic silver 5 improve cooling alot on my chip or is it not worth it?

any other suggestion would be good to, im a complete noob when it comes to cooling :rolleyes:
I wouldn't void the warranty just for applying AS5. Sure it helps but you wont get such a temp drop that you could OC further.

rewt
01-26-05, 07:26 AM
Take mustrum's advice.

As a side note, somewhere I read BFG Tech use AS5 on their cards from the factory. Dunno how true it is tho because I've never taken mine apart.

toby1
01-26-05, 07:29 AM
ok thanks for the advice look like i wont be getting any :)

rewt
01-26-05, 07:31 AM
It's still handy to have if you like building PCs. Good stuff to use on CPUs.

Morn
01-26-05, 08:15 AM
I doubt they are going to check if you applied AS5 if you want to use your warrenty.

s-flow
01-26-05, 09:00 AM
I`ll quote my self here..

With Artic Silver 5 on core and Antec Silver Formula 5 on the memory
I got a decent improvment.

Stock = idle 57/ load 82
NV Silencer (paste that come along) = idle 55/ load 77
NV Silencer (Artic cooling silicon) = idle 55/ load 76
NV Silencer (Artic Silver 5) = idle 52/ load 68

I used a fairly thick layer on the core and the same amount on the memory
and I tightened the screws hard to get decent contact.

These results is at fanspeed 50% in 2D and 80% in 3D.

:)

EDIT: I added one 80mm low-rpm papst case fan to move air out of
my case.. temps now= idle 50/ load 64

Im quite happy with it. :)

Tr1cK
01-26-05, 10:35 AM
Take mustrum's advice.

As a side note, somewhere I read BFG Tech use AS5 on their cards from the factory. Dunno how true it is tho because I've never taken mine apart.

My BFG did not have AS5 on it, but it does now. :)
It did help very slightly.

tormento
01-27-05, 03:48 AM
Just bought a Leadtek A400 GT. The first one was a DOA and already replaced by shop. The second one almost perfect.

After half an hour of rthdribl (everything maxed out) and no problems, I clocked it @ ultra frequencies (400/1100) from coolbits.

After an hour of rthdribl @ 400/1100:

load 73/53
idle 54/38

Should I apply Artic Silver 5 or could I be happy not voiding warranty? And if the first, only on the core or on the memories chips too?

P.S: Touching while on load, the hottest thing is the heatsink over the voltage regulators. OUCH! ;)

Morn
01-27-05, 05:46 AM
I say apply AS5, they probably aren't going to notice if you use your warranty anyway.

MikeC
01-27-05, 07:29 AM
AS5 made quite a difference in my case:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=524837&postcount=17

monkeydust
01-27-05, 08:31 AM
I used it a couple of years ago on one of my videocards with stock cooling and was able to take my core up about 20mhz more.

NemesisChild
01-27-05, 07:44 PM
Take mustrum's advice.

Not true, I know this for certain!
I took my new BFG 6800GT OC apart last month to install an NV5.
It had a crappy thermal paste on the GPU and thermal pads on the memory.

toxikneedle
01-28-05, 12:18 AM
OCing in a shuttle :|

Shuttles are quite hot.... i belive

Clay
01-28-05, 12:26 AM
Take mustrum's advice.

As a side note, somewhere I read BFG Tech use AS5 on their cards from the factory. Dunno how true it is tho because I've never taken mine apart.I'm pretty sure that my BFG 6800 Ultra had AS on it. I'm not sure how one would know for certain but this stuff certainly looked like AS5, not the cheap crap and definitely not thermal tape/pads.

Pics here from my review:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32091&page=3&pp=15#post370656

tormento
01-28-05, 03:09 AM
AS5 made quite a difference in my case:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=524837&postcount=17
At normal room temperature, the GPU idled between 47 - 49 C. Under load, the GPU temperature increased to 63 C.

After reading this thread last night, I disassembled the cards' cooling unit and removed the dust that had accumulated. I also removed the thermal paste from the GPU and heatsink and applied Artic Silver 5.

I've been running temperature tests this evening and the GPU now idles at 41 C.

While running continuous Enemy Territory timedemos in windowed mode, the GPU reaches a peak temperature of 61 C.

Thanks for the info. However, decreasing the load from 63 to 61 dosn't seem worth enough to risk warranty and above all a dead card. If it was a reference heatsink, it could be easy to disassemble/reassembre. As far as Leadtek is concerned, it is everything but a simple HS.

If somebody could show me some photo.. ;)