PDA

View Full Version : The Doom 3 engine

Sorrow
01-26-05, 10:33 AM
Off topic kind of; Quake 4 is built off Doom 3 which is built off Quake 3, am I right? So this would be the first Quake installment that isn't being created using it's own engine type?

Daneel Olivaw
01-26-05, 10:35 AM
Every engine is buit on another... I don't really get the question.

Sorrow
01-26-05, 10:39 AM
No but Quake 1, 2, 3 were practically their own engines, but Quake 4 is using Doom 3's engine which is quake 3's retextured and everything...right? I thought all of quake's engine were built from ground up each time? If not, laugh at me and call me a noob please :(

....or explain it to me :P

|MaguS|
01-26-05, 10:46 AM
Doom 3 does not use the Quake 3 engine, I don't know where the hell you heard that. The Doom 3 engine has a horrible network codes available.

Quake 1 and 2 are also different since the Quake 2 engine is .dll based.

All the quake engines are unique, they might share some common aspects (using pak compression) but they are all mainly new engines.

Holy Smoke
01-26-05, 11:08 AM
Coming from the same company, I'd say it's only a matter of name. Had Quake4 come out first, we'd all be calling the engine the Quake4 engine.

Sorrow
01-26-05, 11:12 AM
oh well, I'm pretty sure I read it in PcGamer, it was talking about how the D3 engine was built off of Q3's engine....I was just wondering why Q4 wasn't being built off it's own engine but rather another existing engine.

jolle
01-26-05, 02:06 PM
If a company has a engine, and decides to build a new one, they generally use the old engines "framework" so to speak..
Doom III engine started out as QuakeIII, they replaced the renderer and worked on that, replaced the netcode, soundengine etc.
So the final resault is a brand new engine.

HL2 still has bits and pieces of the old Quake engine in it, due to this way of working.
They licensed Quake engine, rewrote alot of it and used bits of Q2 netcode that was reworked, and then started out with HL engine to build HL2..
So largly it is a new engine as almost every part of it is replaced.

This way they can hook up a new renderer to a "framework" with all other parts there, so its fully functional in a way, instead of just having the renderer.
Then replace the other bits as they progress and still have a "full" engine to work with alot the way.

So.. in short..
D3 engine is a "new engine" as any other (cryengine, Source etc).
Quake4 is being developed using this engine, by Raven Software on licence by id software.

Nv40
01-26-05, 02:52 PM
indeed.. Hl2 still use code from quake games.. probably if it wasn't because carmack license his engines or release for free the source code of his previous works .. the quality of the multiplayer games will be much lower.. Carmack impact in the gaming industry is far beyond the game titles he creates.. there are many developers that study his past works for reference and tweak it for their games.

Ninjaman09
01-26-05, 03:08 PM
Off topic kind of; Quake 4 is built off Doom 3 which is built off Quake 3, am I right? So this would be the first Quake installment that isn't being created using it's own engine type?
It's also the first Quake game not developed by id. Raven is awesome though, so I can't wait to play this game. And I'll be excited by every new Doom 3 engine game that's released, since it's so awesome. :D

CaptNKILL
01-26-05, 03:41 PM
All the quake engines are unique, they might share some common aspects (using pak compression) but they are all mainly new engines.

They dont even all use pak compression, Q3 and D3 use zip files renamed as .pk3 files. Q1 and Q2 (and any game based on those engines) use .pak files which require .pak editors, rather than just winzip.

All the engines are very different. Some console commands have carried over through all the different versions, but besides that, I think they overhaul them every time.

faithlesspreach
01-27-05, 05:52 PM
one little thing if quake 4 is going to use doom3 engine do u think it will reflect poorly on the netcode?
Since doom3 for multiplayer from what i heard its prety weak , or they can optimize it for quake 4 type of multiplayer games ,kinda like quake 3 lots of people on servers and running prety good

what are yours thougts about it

jolle
01-27-05, 07:07 PM
id didnt put much effort in the MP part of D3..
Has anyone tried the mods to allow like 32 players and such?
is the netcode bad? or was the limit of players set by id for other reasons.

If it is, I guess Raven will have to write their own netcode, Q4 is supposedly going to feature a bit more robust MP, even tho it is mainly a SP game, sequel to Quake 4.

Rakeesh
01-27-05, 07:18 PM
I am fairly certain that every time ID creates a new game, they start from scratch.

I know for certain that valve doesn't on the other hand. They have just been constantly making changes to the original quake 1 engine license that they purchased from ID.

holmes
01-27-05, 09:38 PM
Doom3 MP ain't all bad (I LOVE it actually :smoking2: ), but 6-8 player matches are common. Depending on the server, you get no lag to tolerable lag..

dante_uk
01-29-05, 05:15 PM
I don't know why everyone keep saying the netword code is so bad. I bet it's pretty much the same as quake accept now:
The game works of game ticks ( so no more advantage to the person with the higher FPS being able to jump higher. )
Collishions are handled via the physics engine and more precise ( ie much better hit detection, you can miss if you shot between a players legs or between their arm and their body ).
This all adds up to more data needing to be sent across the network. So more lag for people on slow connections and a much lower limit to the number of players.

BioHazZarD
01-30-05, 08:43 AM
I play some MP sometimes and i dont suffer any bad lag not unless the server has bad ping its not that bad afterall.

Marcos
01-31-05, 07:58 AM
alot of you seem like you have no idea what you are talking about