PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra won't start-up after power problems

Raptorman
01-26-05, 08:54 PM
The lovely power company decided they were going to play with the power today and cut it off and on 5 times. Now, when I try to start up my main computer my 6800 Ultra fan will start-up there are no faulty video card beeps, but nothing displays on the monitor. Monitor says it is not receiving a signal. Not only that, but the network connection light is not on on my PC or my router from my main desktop. All of my equipment IS on a surge protector. I've removed the card from the AGP slot, re-insterted it, plugged in different power cables, and have tried the monitor in a different plug-in on the video card all to no avail. Any ideas how to get it working?

Q
01-26-05, 09:06 PM
First off...what kind of power supply do you have. If its cheap its likely flakey, and it could have partially failed, causing a wierd problem like this.

First I would try the monitor on another computer....you never know. Second...I've had that problem before with ATI cards...and a few times with my Ultra as well. I just turn the puter on and off a few times in succession and it seems to fix it. Also, do you have your card hard overclocked in the bios (is that even possible anymore)? I remember tweakin with overclocking older cards in the bios and having probs like this.

One last thing....try using the TV out while booting. See if you get an image on the TV.

Does your system reach windows (can you hear the sounds?) or does it just stay on with no activity?

Good luck man and keep us posted.

Raptorman
01-26-05, 09:11 PM
I've tried starting it in succession, and that doesn't work. Only other monitor I have available is on this machine, and I'm too angry to go carrying computer parts through my house right now (I might throw something). The power supply is a quality 500-watt PSU (XG Vigor 500-watt PSU from coolerguys.com). I can't use TV-out with my HDTV so that's a no go. Also, I cannot hear any Windows sounds on boot. This is looking grim, and from what I've read so far the power company claims no liability for any damaged for personal belongings even if the damage is their fault.

keith33
01-26-05, 09:21 PM
First off, make sure the AGP port isn't fried or something, have you tried using another video card in your computer to make sure it boots?
Good Luck!

Raptorman
01-26-05, 09:24 PM
Tried another monitor - nothing.

Unfortunately I've either sold, or loaned out all of my extra video cards so I am left with absolutely nothing. Any other ideas?

Raptorman
01-26-05, 09:24 PM
Tried another monitor - nothing.

Unfortunately I've either sold, or loaned out all of my extra video cards so I am left with absolutely nothing. Any other ideas? I'm betting the motherboard is fried considering my network connection is not registering on the lights from the motherboard, or on my router.

Double Post

Raptorman
01-26-05, 10:06 PM
Seems alienware wants $400 to ship it down there and fix it, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a motherboard problem. I think I'll just pay the $150 for a new motherboard, and forget about it. This is unreal. The computer with surge protection is fubar'd, but the one I'm on right now had no surge protection and is working perfectly fine.

Morn
01-26-05, 11:52 PM
It's no big deal, test it on a computer computer if it fails there RMA it.

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 12:21 AM
Mmmm .. odd. At first I thought your PSU was dead .. but then your fans would not run. You might be able to claim it on insurance if you can show the power surgue killed it? I dunno.

Raptorman
01-27-05, 07:14 AM
It's no big deal, test it on a computer computer if it fails there RMA it.

Can't send it back to AlienWare without replacing the stock PSU and buying a new stock video card from them, and then they are going to charge labor. So, that's a good $400 atleast there. Today I'm taking it to a local computer shop and am going to have them check it out, and try to narrow it down a little. If it's the motherboard then that's no big deal ($174 for new Asus SK8N). If there's more damaged than the motherboard by insurance will pay for it, but our insurance has a $500 deductable.
I'm almost positive it is the motherboard as this morning (I left it unplugged all night) to get it to start to see if by some miracle it would work I plugged it in and hit the power button...nothing. I waited and hit it again, nothing. I held the power button in, nothing. I hit the power button immediately after holding it in, and it came on (Power Switch is connected to the motherboard, not the PSU). I'm just hoping my Athlon 64 has not been damaged in the process or I have to go through a nightmare of the insurance company devaluing my hardware, and I still have to pay $500.