PDA

View Full Version : S-ATA arghhhhh

nrs421
01-26-05, 08:37 PM
i've been trying to make build a new computer with only a S-ATA drive but windows xp doesnt detect it.....any ideas?

saturnotaku
01-26-05, 08:58 PM
i've been trying to make build a new computer with only a S-ATA drive but windows xp doesnt detect it.....any ideas?

You install the drivers for the SATA controller by hitting F6 when the Windows XP boot screen shows up and putting in the floppy disk that came with your board when prompted?

superklye
01-26-05, 09:41 PM
Do you HAVE to use/have a floppy to install SATA drivers? Or do they come on CD too? Becuase, assuming I get the NF7-S rev. 2 and a couple of SATA drives...I have no floppy drive or intent to ever have one again...

$n][pErMan
01-26-05, 10:01 PM
^ I HAD to install mine off floppy at windows install. It will not find it off a CD that I am aware of.

jAkUp
01-26-05, 10:36 PM
It will not depend on the CD.

Also it depends on the board, some mobos have native SATA (they don't require you to hit F6)

Nforce 2,3,4 and Intel Chipsets all have native SATA.
VIA & SIS don't have native SATA, it is required to hit F6 before installing windows, and it must be done from a floppy drive.

superklye
01-26-05, 10:36 PM
Oh sweet deal, nothing to worry about then. :)

chile
01-26-05, 10:41 PM
i couldn't install off cd on my dfi ui...luckily i still have a floppy drive..

extreme4377
01-26-05, 10:42 PM
It will not depend on the CD.

Also it depends on the board, some mobos have native SATA (they don't require you to hit F6)

Nforce 2,3,4 and Intel Chipsets all have native SATA.
VIA & SIS don't have native SATA, it is required to hit F6 before installing windows, and it must be done from a floppy drive.

native or not, Windows requires drivers. Thats just how it is :thumbdwn:

alucard_x
01-27-05, 06:34 PM
you need to make your own windows cd with the drivers already on there.

jAkUp
01-27-05, 07:03 PM

Both my intel boards, and my nforce boards do not need the included SATA drivers. Windows has its own built in drivers.

Filibuster
01-27-05, 07:04 PM
Nforce 2 does not have native SATA, does it? (Oh I just looked, only the Nforce2 Ultra 400Gb does.)

If they are 'native' they will use standard IDE Windows drivers and will not require the F6 and floppy disk in order to get set up. I definately did not need it for my Nforce4, and Intel 8XX and 9XX series chipsets don't either.

zoomy942
01-27-05, 07:15 PM
yeah.. you gotta install the drivers if it's not native. what mobo do you have so we can see exactly where you stand?

einstein_314
01-27-05, 07:38 PM
Yup, I had to make a floppy with the cd that came with my mobo (Asus A8V). Of course, I didn't know I had to do this until I needed to use them, so I had to do it on a different computer. Then like everyone has said, you just hit F6 when windows tells you to and Voila!.

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 09:03 PM
F6 is a beautiful thing .. as you can install a lot of stuff durring the windows install with this function :)

CMav
01-27-05, 09:29 PM
After installing my SATA raptor on my nforce4 mobo, windows recognizes it as a removeable drive. During games, it seems to do a fair amount of reading/writing. I can't figure out what that is all about.

jAkUp
01-27-05, 10:40 PM
OMG Mine too! I don't know why either.

CMav
01-28-05, 10:48 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one. However, the excessive reading/writing of my Raptor during games worries me.

Filibuster
01-28-05, 10:56 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one. However, the excessive reading/writing of my Raptor during games worries me.

It looks like you only have 512MB ram (from signature). When I had 512MB my hdd thrashed constantly while gaming.

ryoohki
01-28-05, 11:59 AM
After installing my SATA raptor on my nforce4 mobo, windows recognizes it as a removeable drive. During games, it seems to do a fair amount of reading/writing. I can't figure out what that is all about.

Well if your drive are Hot Swappable Compatible, Nforce 4 use SATA2 protocol witch enable (for real now) this feature. Windows simply see them as swappable drive. Maybe in future release of Nforce4 driver you could disable that fonction for internal ports..?

PSYCHODAD
01-28-05, 01:48 PM
OMG Mine too! I don't know why either.
Hmm....mine shows up as a local disc. Wonder what the difference is?

CMav
01-29-05, 10:28 AM
That seems to be the answer on the hot swappable issue.

And yes, I do only have 1 stick of ram...I'm ordering more this weekend.

r2d2d3d4d5
01-29-05, 10:39 AM
When I got my new board (when from nf1 to nf2) I was too lazy to reinstall. I just installed the SATA drivers whilst using PATA and then swapped my drive over to SATA. Booted up without any problems.

So if you donít have the drivers on disc and you need drivers: install Windows whilst your drive is hooked up to PATA, install the SATA drivers once Windows has been installed and then swap your drive over.

Dazz
01-29-05, 03:09 PM
Yeap, Nforce boards need two drivers installed, NVATA for SATA,and NVRAID if you are using RAID also.

Starscream
01-29-05, 10:28 PM
Both my intel boards, and my nforce boards do not need the included SATA drivers. Windows has its own built in drivers.

My experience has been any board with the SATA controller integrated into the chipset won't require you to load drivers. But if it's not integrated, like older nforce 2 boards you'll have to install the driver.