PDA

View Full Version : HDTV as a monitor

dynasty336
01-27-05, 09:11 AM
Would an HDTV such as this (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305946&pfp=BROWSE) or this (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=317988&pfp=BROWSE) work as a good computer monitor?

r2d2d3d4d5
01-27-05, 10:05 AM
How big is your desk? Also how far back do you plan to sit? Are all HDTV CRTs 100Hz? Any idea what the dot pitch is on the CRT?

dynasty336
01-27-05, 12:29 PM
i was actually planing on doubling my computer as my main entertainment peice dvd, cable, surround sound, games...you get the picture and im not sure of the questions you asked, sorry.

Cota
01-27-05, 12:41 PM
go for the LCD it has native 16:9 aspect ratio and 1280x720 native hdtv resolution. Has a smaller footprint and costs about the same.

IQ should be the deciding factor, so if you have a chance to see them in action that will make your decition easier.

Rakeesh
01-27-05, 03:38 PM
I guarentee you that you aren't going to like using regular windows applications on the CRT screen.

r2d2d3d4d5
01-27-05, 04:55 PM
i was actually planing on doubling my computer as my main entertainment peice dvd, cable, surround sound, games...you get the picture and im not sure of the questions you asked, sorry.

Well those TVs are kind of big so if you're planning to use the TV as your main monitor you'll need a lot space. You'll also need to sit further back from the screen than you're used just to see the whole screen. If the CRT is 50/60Hz then expect your eyes to get tired very quickly. Most CRT TVs have a high dot pitch. As a result however high the resolution close up you're going to have difficulties making out details (difficult for reading text for example).

If you're not planning to use the TV as you're main monitor then apologies. It just seemed like you were from your original post.

GlowStick
01-28-05, 04:53 PM
Yeah, useing a hdtv for reuglar windows apps wont do you much good at all.

But if use it to watch videos, dvds and other stuff you download off the net it would be great! If i had the $$$ Id buy a hdtv and hook it up as a secondary montior and use SnapStreams Beyond Media with FireFly remote, you should beable to easily navigate your libary of files with the remote and the nice HDTV. Hope that helps!