PDA

View Full Version : My SLI Setups and some deep thoughts.

Pages : [1] 2

Veger
01-27-05, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

Just finished my two SLI rigs. Getting over 20K on 3dMark 03 on my main one, and on my office machine at my place of work is over 18K on 3dMark 03.

-->The reason for the two rigs is that I am a computer technician who tests this hardware for my customers, as we build high-end gaming, audio computers etc.. I have been doing this for over 5 years and have been working on computers for over 20 years. Way too long -- go crazy with this hardware. That is the only reason, one is sufficient. hehe<--

Pictures coming soon... :)

Hear are some issues that I have ran across with my main one so far:

1) Removing the pci-ex cards is a pain on the Asus board that is the only negative. You have to be very careful with those plastic locks, because with too much force you can break them, very flimsy.

2) Shimmering is present on certain games and resolutions, for ex. HL2 1680 x 1050 which is 16 x 10 the game moves up and down slightly with the Nvidia 67.66 beta drivers. with the 66.93 all is well. Still testing out games.

3) SLI setups do not like widscreen lcds (DVI). As certain resolutions such as 1680 x 1050 have this white line going from left to right at the very top of the screen. It hates 1680 x 900. Lower resolutions have no problems. Hopefully new drivers will fix this. Also SLI supports less resolutions than when you are not running in SLI.

4) Two 6800U and 6800GT are not that bad when it comes too being noisy, it is that dam ASUS fan on the south bridge I believe, man that thing sounds like someone is knocking on your head. 8000 RPM :eek:

5) The Asus board doesn't like having all the memory slots taken with the same memory. Itriedputting in 512 sticks in all of the slots that are the same for a total of 2gb but it just beeped at me - :(

6) Stabilty seemed okay for the time I tested it, but I am having an issue with 3dmark 03 looping. I can run it and get a score but when I leave it on looping it freezes after awhile. So what I did is set the 2d clock to the same as the 3d clock and I will see if that fixes it. This problem I had with my 6800U AGP. I have this looping at home, I will check when I go to lunch.

*Update - Something interesting I ran across, I was having stablity issues with my Evga 6800Ultra cards. I have figured out why, as this same problem pertains to the agp version. Evga ships with the 2d at 400/1100 and 3d at 425/1100. I was getting some stablity issues with WOW (nv4disp.dll error BSOD), and 3dmark (crash to deskop and freezing ). What I did was use the coolbits 2 utility from guru3d and set the 2d to the same clock as the 3d, and now all is fine. I forgot about this as the agp version had to be the same way. They did release a bios for the agp to solve this problem hopefully they will for the pci-ex version too.

7) Installing the 66.93 drivers, and then installing the beta 67.66 is okay, but when you take off the betas and reinstall the 66.93 everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

8) SLI works with WOW in SFR but it cuts the frames in half - :(
Does not seem to work in AFR mode.

More to come...

Take Care

jjjj64
01-27-05, 10:59 AM
good call the PC power and cooling 510 SLI ultra, i am waiting on one to replace the enermax 600w i fried

buidling 2 sli rigs at once, that is just sick :)

eva2000
01-27-05, 11:06 AM
nice but 2x SLI rigs :eek:

Veger
01-27-05, 11:08 AM
Man that sucks about the Enermax psu going dam, the pc power and cooling are the best inmo, also the silenx psu are good also. I just hope that 3dmark 03 issue will be gone when I go home. I hate freezing because it can be many different things, it is insane :eek:

hehe, keep me posted on your setups cannot wait to see them.

-->The reason for the two rigs is that I am a computer technician who tests this hardware for my customers, as we build high-end gaming, audio computers etc.. I have been doing this for over 5 years and have been working on computers for over 20 years. Way too long -- go crazy with this hardware. That is the only reason, one is sufficient. hehe<--

Veger
01-27-05, 11:52 AM
I do not know what is going on with 3dmark 03 it either freezes or quits to the desktop when you loop it. When you run it without looping it is fine?

Can anyone loop 3dmark 03 with an SLI setup without getting issues?

jAkUp
01-27-05, 11:56 AM
hehe, I actually killed one PC Power and Cooling with my SLI rig, but I have another one now, and everything seems good :D

Pandora's Box
01-27-05, 11:57 AM
nice rigs, but what is an audigy 2 LZ? did you mean ZS?

Veger
01-27-05, 12:52 PM
Sorry about that. It is an Audigy 2 ZS. Also sorry for the long signature, I reeditted it to make it more smaller.

Well 3dmark 03 crashed to desktop, so what I did, is I did not realise I had an old version of 3dmark 03, so reinstalled it and installed 67.66 and have it looping hopefully this be okay.

Hey jakup I was wondering if you ran into any 3dmark 03 issues with your setup? Nice rig from the SLI pictures thread hopefully I will be able to get some pictures up later today.

macachia
01-27-05, 01:57 PM
Hi, nice setups :)

I have an fx55 and dual 6800ultras on the asus a8n-sli dlx. I just noticed you have the the thermaltake 680w. Would this be ok for my setup? (I am getting 11.2v load on my thermaltake 560w) I don't have access to the 510 psu u're all mentioning :(

thanks for any answers :)

jjjj64
01-27-05, 02:07 PM

I have an fx55 and dual 6800ultras on the asus a8n-sli dlx. I just noticed you have the the thermaltake 680w. Would this be ok for my setup? (I am getting 11.2v load on my thermaltake 560w) I don't have access to the 510 psu u're all mentioning :(

enjoy :)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_166&products_id=2561&osCsid=20131a8368e0b8965c370a6a28e81eef

Roliath
01-27-05, 02:09 PM
nice rig all of ya'll!!
I hope to one day build an SLI rig, just have to save up right now. hopefully by the summer, i'll have all the cash. I was thinking just going A64 and AGP Ultra, but GO BIG OR GO HOME!
Can't wait to see pics!

Veger
01-27-05, 02:12 PM
Hi guys,

Here is the online store where I ordered mine from:

http://www.3dcool.com/Details.asp?cid=6&id=1124

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1652.html

If you canget the Pc Power and Cooling go for it as it one of the best. The Thermaltake is also very good it has dual pci-e connectors and dual 12v rails that = 30A pretty good for the money.

jjjj64
01-27-05, 02:14 PM
veger the sig is getting therem try making the font smaller

Veger
01-27-05, 02:17 PM
Thanks jjjj64 man wow much better now.

PSYCHODAD
01-27-05, 02:22 PM

If your interested, here are the temp and volt readouts I'm getting with Asus probe on an OCZ 600w. System been idling for about an hour.

Veger
01-27-05, 02:53 PM
Hi PSYCHODAD,

Have you had any 3dmark 2003 issues with SLI? Such as, freezing while looping the benchmark for alittle while. Also those voltage rails are pretty good.

PSYCHODAD
01-27-05, 03:00 PM
Hi PSYCHODAD,

Have you had any 3dmark 2003 issues with SLI? Such as, freezing while looping the benchmark for alittle while. Also those voltage rails are pretty good.
Hey:
Was gonna run it today and check, but after loading it via my network got an error message(copy is corrupt). I will redownload and install and give it a go.

It will be sometime this weekend before I'll have time though.

I've had this problem before when transferring data over the network and getting the copy is corrupt message.

later

Veger
01-27-05, 06:48 PM
Well after running 3dmark 03 for over 6 hours I am confident to say it was either the 67.66 drivers that fixed the recent build of 3dmark 03 or both. But, I am glad it works better.

test4echo
01-27-05, 06:55 PM
hehe, I actually killed one PC Power and Cooling with my SLI rig, but I have another one now, and everything seems good :D

For a little while anyway.......
:D

test,

circuitbreaker8
01-27-05, 08:21 PM
Its way to early for SLi to actually be good IMO. Give it another year or so, when games ( unreal 3 ) can actually use the extra power.

SH64
01-27-05, 09:00 PM
4) Two 6800U and 6800GT are not that bad when it comes too being noisy, it is that dam ASUS fan on the south bridge I believe, man that thing sounds like someone is knocking on your head. 8000 RPM :eek:

Good to see someone mentioned it ... most people overlooked the noise issue .. especially with 2x6800Us running .

PSYCHODAD
01-28-05, 02:39 AM
Ran 3DMark03 and got a pretty decent score. Thought I noticed a bit of artifacting in the Troll cpu test tho. Haven't had time to run it in a loop yet.

emailthatguy
01-28-05, 02:58 AM
am i the only guy around here running on a gigabyte sli board?

ViN86
01-28-05, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Veger
4) Two 6800U and 6800GT are not that bad when it comes too being noisy, it is that dam ASUS fan on the south bridge I believe, man that thing sounds like someone is knocking on your head. 8000 RPM

heh, guess thats where water cooling and a chipset block comes in handy :p

oh btw, why do you need SLI in your office computer?
hahaha, im jk. great setups :D

Veger
01-28-05, 03:00 PM
heh, guess thats where water cooling and a chipset block comes in handy :p

oh btw, why do you need SLI in your office computer?
hahaha, im jk. great setups :D

Hi,

My Office Machine is the main one at the company I work for to show customers and sales people what we sell. You have to know your products that you sell as well as R and D(Reasearch and Development).