01-27-05, 10:56 AM
:angel: Should i turn in on in games? Cmss1 Cmss2 or off? ty

saweetnesstrev
01-27-05, 03:07 PM
no one knows?

saturnotaku
01-27-05, 03:11 PM
a) Bumping 4 hours after you make a thread = :nono:

b) Why don't you just try the different settings out yourself to see if you like them? It's not that difficult to do.

HowlingPhoenix
01-27-05, 05:09 PM
I'll be nice and answer your question...it all depends on your speaker set up. CMSS usually is for making music and other formats that aren't 5.1 to come out all of your speakers instead of in stereo. If you only have 2 speakers on your computer it doesn't really matter cause it won't work anyway. If you do have a 5.1 surround sound set up then its not really necessary to enable the CMSS cause you'll want each speaker to have its own independent channel...if you enable it for games, the same sound that comes out of your front speakers will also come out the back ones.

PikachuMan
01-27-05, 05:23 PM
In games, it shouldn't matter, since it just upmixes a stereo source. If the game is not set to stereo (ie it is in 4.1 or 5.1 or whatever), it will do nothing.

In music, you probably would want it on, since by default the card will play stereo only through the two front speakers. You can set it to upmix it to multichannel (CMSS1 or CMSS2), or stereo surround, where the same sound that comes out of your front speakers will also come out the back ones, as "HowlingPhoenix" said.

MUYA
01-27-05, 06:56 PM
On my setup, I find that setting CMMS off, turns of my subwoofers??? :wtf:

ya it's weird so i have CMSS enabled alll the time and CMSS doesn't affect gaming if you have 5.1 channel setup.

HowlingPhoenix
01-27-05, 11:09 PM
I guess my system is just weird, cause when I enable it I get the same sound out of both my front and rear speakers when playing a 5.1 enabled game.

MUYA
01-27-05, 11:12 PM
Well, my audigy2 is hooked up to a Sony DTS Reciver which is hooked up to a Paramount Pictures 5.1 HT speakers. It's strange that subwoofer should be turned off if CMSS or whatever is off???

Smokey
01-29-05, 12:48 AM
Well CMSS1 tends to just add echo to everything, but CMSS2 is good for upmixing stereo to multichannel. This will not effect multichannel games as some have said, though it will for game menus etc which are stereo most of the time, also if im not mistaken, Need for Speed is stereo not multichannel? I have a 7.1 setup, so I select surround stereo, which I leave on 100% of the time.

TheManko
01-30-05, 11:48 AM
I think I need to make some things clear here...
CMSS upmixes stereo and mono sounds that aren't in a 3d sound space to surround. Meaning that if you play games the effects that are 3d, i e everything exept the music and some interface sounds will sound as they should while CMSS mixes up the sounds that aren't in 3d sound. This is good for many games that use ambient sounds that are stereo but not in 3d (Far Cry, Gothic 2 and KOTOR comes to mind), because it sounds more immersive upmixed IMO.
But if you use CMSS with stereo speakers it will still do some good actually, because it creates virtual surround from 5.1 sound sources, like for example Doom 3 and Dolby sound sources.
CMSS 1 upmixing DOES NOT add echo to the sound, it is a "real" upmix.
CMSS 2 on the other hand is the mode that does reverb the sound and should not have the stereo focus in the middle, since the volume of the sound becomes crazy then. Pull the lever to the top and listen the the echoes in the rear channels yourself!
But as with all upmixing it all comes down to what you prefer yourself.