PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT GS drastic performance loss

Pages : [1] 2

Scart
01-27-05, 02:08 PM
Hi

I have a very strange problem. Yesterday I reinstalled my computer, aOpen ak87-L changed to Epox 8kda3j and GW's original 2 fan cooler into a nv5 (one great piece of pc hardware, temps are 20 or so lower)thanks to those changes, my performance dropped like a rock. The new mobo has latest motherboard drivers and GT's are 67.66

Using 67.66, I got 20- 25fps in Far Cry @ 1920x 1440 w 4x fsaa& 16x af, high quality in cp (Training, the moment you step out of the cave and see the mercs and the chopper). now, at the same spot, I get like 5-10 fps. 1600x1200 @ same settings gave me 45 fps on Training also, now I get like 20. Nfsu2 @ 1280x960 w 2xQ& 16x af equalled almost 50 fps, now it's barely 30.

The only thing that changed is the mobo, I had to reinstall onto the same partition but a new folder, could this be the problem? To be honest, I don't understand :confused:

64 3000+,
8kda3j,
gainward 6800GT GS,
768 ddr 400 running @ 333 for some reason, never posed a problem for aopen and the performance it gave me.

saturnotaku
01-27-05, 02:12 PM
So you didn't actually do a proper format of Windows? When you change a piece of hardware like the motherboard, doing a completely clean format is nothing short of required. Do that and see how it works out for you.

Razorman
01-27-05, 02:18 PM
Not required here, i just switched mobo's form an Asus A7N8X-E N Force 2 to a Asus K8N-E N Force 3 & all i had to do was reinstall some drivers, job done. But you're right in most cases you'll never get away with it.

ssj4goku887
01-27-05, 08:58 PM
it may not be absolutely REQUIRED but its best to reformat when changing a motherboard reguardless.

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 09:12 PM
The only OS I have never had problems dong that with is Linux. I have completely swapped all parts in a linux machine once and it configured it all on bootup and all worked great again. To bad windows cant do that :p

MUYA
01-27-05, 09:34 PM
In the very least do into safemode, uninstall all mobo drievrs. Clean the system with Drivercleaner. Then install new nforce drivers and see. If not format the drive and reinstall WINXP and each driver etc

Scart
01-28-05, 07:31 AM
So you didn't actually do a proper format of Windows? When you change a piece of hardware like the motherboard, doing a completely clean format is nothing short of required. Do that and see how it works out for you.

I installed a new windows without formatting the hdd, yes, but the same procedure has always worked before
:confused:

What is strange, is that @ 1280x960, all the perfomance numbers are the same, but above that, they are way below what I got before.

Salamandar
01-28-05, 07:52 AM
[pErMan']The only OS I have never had problems dong that with is Linux. I have completely swapped all parts in a linux machine once and it configured it all on bootup and all worked great again. To bad windows cant do that :p
Since you are trolling, allow me to answer you, can you run any thing on Linux.....the answer is NO.
Infact Linux is claimed to be stable because there are no software to run on. So be quiet.

JRd1st
01-28-05, 08:15 AM
Since you are trolling, allow me to answer you, can you run any thing on Linux.....the answer is NO.
Infact Linux is claimed to be stable because there are no software to run on. So be quiet.

Good point! It's so obvious, that no one sees it. :eek:

saturnotaku
01-28-05, 08:38 AM

I don't think it's possible for anyone to pretend to be this stupid.

mike2h
01-28-05, 10:57 AM
I don't think it's possible for anyone to pretend to be this stupid.

you seem to have a 50/50 mix on good informative posts & insulting people. though granted it is sometimes deserved.
i tend to agree with him about linux. as far as game playing goes, & this forum is 90% game playing, what good is it? in fact its use is severly limited for just about everything.
please correct me if i am wrong. i will freely admit that i do not know a lot about linux.
sorry for the way OT post.

Zelda_fan
01-28-05, 11:20 AM
[pErMan']The only OS I have never had problems dong that with is Linux. I have completely swapped all parts in a linux machine once and it configured it all on bootup and all worked great again. To bad windows cant do that :p

Man I can't stand it when the linux fanboys come out every time someone has the least little problem with Windows. When ever you linux users have a problem, we don't come in and say "oh yeah, well windows can do it better," and believe me that would be a LOT of problems. I installed linux on my machine once to check it out (tried both Mandrake and Redhat distros), and I erased that crap from my machine within the hour. I'd rather have OSX or even DOS than linux.

Gentle
01-28-05, 11:35 AM
Guys, you remember when you were in the family car, driving some place and you got into a fight with your siblings?

What did you mother used to say?

"Don't make me pull this car over!"

-----

I seriously think you are interpreting his statement as being something it wasn't.

I think if you look at their signature, it shows they use Windows XP...

My interpretation is they posted an experience they had with Linux. I don't see them as being a troublemaker with what they posted.

Just re-read what they posted, can you see it from that point of view?

Gentle

mike2h
01-29-05, 12:07 AM
point taken. :)

$n][pErMan
01-29-05, 12:46 AM
shutup... im not trolling you twat. It has a sh*t load of things. I use to host a UT2004 server, HL2 DM server and and HTTP and FTP server. At least Gentle has the IQ high enough to know what we were trying to say.

Man I can't stand it when the linux fanboys come out every time someone has the least little problem with Windows. When ever you linux users have a problem, we don't come in and say "oh yeah, well windows can do it better," and believe me that would be a LOT of problems. I installed linux on my machine once to check it out (tried both Mandrake and Redhat distros), and I erased that crap from my machine within the hour. I'd rather have OSX or even DOS than linux.
and I cant stand ignorant kids who dont know sh*t about linux and claim it sucks. I use windows for all my gaming and I have a seperate computer for hosting with linux. I was not trolling .. but if you wanna talk smack ... I'll put you in your place real fast.
God I hate ignorant people who think people try and start sh*t when they posting somehting about linux... what n00bs. I think you belong in the CS forums where all the other 14 year olds are hanging out. :rolleyes:

MUYA
01-29-05, 12:56 AM
When did this turn into a linux vs PC debate? Guys please get back to the original topic and if you can, please help Scart with his problem.

Any more non related posts will be deleted and repeat offenders may be banned.

@Sniperman: less use of british swear words please, we are a "family" forum. :)

Thanks

Zelda_fan
01-29-05, 01:03 AM
oops, i added this before I read your post :p Please dont' ban me :)

MUYA
01-29-05, 01:07 AM
oops, i added this before I read your post :p Please dont' ban me :)
:spank: :nono:

:)

$n][pErMan
01-29-05, 01:25 AM
@Sniperman: less use of british swear words please, we are a "family" forum.
Fair enough.... just let some of the kids in family know that not everyone is trolling when they type things. ;) I thought my original post was quite helpfull in the fact that I was simply stating I had never seen windows do well with such a change where as the only OS I have used that does is linux. I dont even know why they said that was trolling but whatever! :confused:

MUYA
01-29-05, 01:31 AM
K..but on topic from THIS POST ON THANKS! :)

$n][pErMan
01-29-05, 01:37 AM
Scart.. here is what you SHOULD do. (because I honestly think your windows install will continue to flip out and give you issues)

-Backup ALL your important stuff on CD or DVD.
-If your drive is partitioned you can move this stuff to the other partition. (or another hard drive if you have one)
-If your keeping the partitions and data thats on the other you can't reformat so a windows reinstall will have to sufice (unless you have a 2nd hard drive to move important files to)
-Reinstall windows on the partition you desire
-install all your drivers
-install all your games then copy say your CFG's and saved files from your other partition to the respective foldiers
-And all should work much better assuming you did everything right!

Scart
01-30-05, 02:24 PM
I will try these steps and report back, thank you

Scart
02-03-05, 02:50 AM
OK, i used a brand new HDD, did a clean install and the result?

default 350/1000 gave me 10500 and 4600 points
400/1100 gave me 11800 and 4900 points
425/1200 gave me 12100 and 5100 points

previous installation gave me 12500 and 5500 @ 425/1100

Far Cry's 25 fps is now 16, instead of 5... is there some sort of a conflict between the 8kda3j and 6800?

MUYA
02-03-05, 05:00 AM
Those are good 3D Mark numbers rivaling my Leadtek 6800 Ultra!

For far cry I suggest you download the hardwareoc far cry benchmark utility and do a series of runs. Far cry is also cpu dependent depending on the type of level u are playing.

Scart
02-06-05, 02:04 PM
i am at a loss for words: same specs, clean install: 67.66/hq

Resolution: 1024×768
Ultra quality option, Direct3D renderer
Level: Training, demo: Training.tmd
Pixel shader: default model
Antialising: 4×
Anisotrophic filtering: From System×
HDR: disabled
Geometry Instancing: enabled
Normal-maps compression: enabled

Score = 51,04 FPS (Run 1)
Score = 51,19 FPS (Run 2)
Average score = 51,11 FPS
-----

Resolution: 1280×1024

Score = 42,02 FPS (Run 1)
Score = 42,01 FPS (Run 2)
Average score = 42,01 FPS
---

Resolution: 1600×1200

Score = 32,69 FPS (Run 1)
Score = 32,20 FPS (Run 2)
Average score = 32,44 FPS
---

what the hell is going on? http://firingsquad.com/hardware/gigabyte_3d1/page7.asp <<< when i checked the scores, i went :eek:

EDIT: tried the 1280x1024 setting with 4x fsaa and 8x af....

Resolution: 1280×1024
Anisotrophic filtering: 8×

Score = 33,51 FPS (Run 1)
Score = 33,07 FPS (Run 2)
Average score = 33,29 FPS