PDA

View Full Version : 1.7 Million Half-Life 2 Copies Sold In Two Months

Pages : [1] 2

GamerGuyX
01-27-05, 03:35 PM
Thought it would be a good idea to post THIS (http://gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/news/41510.shtml) here.

:cool:

BioHazZarD
01-27-05, 04:20 PM
only ?

WeReWoLf
01-27-05, 05:39 PM
lol. "Expect to see more gordan in expansion packs and inevitable sequels."

aAv7
01-27-05, 05:41 PM
Almost 2 million copies, that's freakin fantastic for a pc game. Heck, that's really good even on console. Nice to see Pc gaming getting alittle recognition.

Kickus_assius
01-27-05, 05:43 PM
especially when you consider the somewhat steep system requirements of today's PC games.

Morrow
01-27-05, 05:49 PM
Now that we have some retail numbers it would also be nice to get the steam sale numbers in which I'm much more interested...

aAv7
01-27-05, 05:51 PM
Now that we have some retail numbers it would also be nice to get the steam sale numbers in which I'm much more interested...

I think valve is still :eek: that they finally got HL2 out the door. Give them a few more months to get over it. ;)

aAv7
01-27-05, 05:53 PM
especially when you consider the somewhat steep system requirements of today's PC games.

LOL. I think it's one of those things-where teens saw how nice it looked, knew they had a computer " and just had to give it a shot" hoping they could achieve the screens on the back of the box.

stncttr908
01-27-05, 06:33 PM
Now is this retail sales or retail sales + Steam downloads?

Ruined
01-27-05, 06:36 PM
TBH thats not really all too impressive considering the "best game ever" hype.

The Sims 2 (PC) sold a million copies in 10 days.

Halo 2 (XBX) sold over 5 million in 3 weeks.

Doom 3 (PC) sold about a million copies in two months.

nutcrackr
01-27-05, 06:41 PM
I really think HL2 is going to be a big seller over the long term, HL and CS was this way and they've now sold around 10million copies. While 1.7 mill is not that impressive (halo 2 has sold like 6 mill?) for such a big game it is still a very good number. At $50 a pop that is $85million.

GamerGuyX
01-27-05, 06:48 PM
While 1.7 mill is not that impressive (halo 2 has sold like 6 mill?)

Your comparing apples to oranges... :rolleyes:

aAv7
01-27-05, 08:24 PM
Your comparing apples to oranges... :rolleyes:

exactly.

nutcrackr
01-27-05, 09:25 PM
When clearly apples are much better. ;)

stncttr908
01-28-05, 12:55 AM
TBH thats not really all too impressive considering the "best game ever" hype.

The Sims 2 (PC) sold a million copies in 10 days.

Halo 2 (XBX) sold over 5 million in 3 weeks.

Doom 3 (PC) sold about a million copies in two months.
I wonder how many copies of The Sims 2 were returned since the user's PC didn't meet the minimum spec. :cool:

msxyz
01-28-05, 03:25 AM
Honestly if I had the chance to play a few levels, if I knew of all this stuttering problems, of the constant pain of going through Steam, I wouldn't have purchased HL2.

It might be worth a few bucks once it hits the bargain bin but certainly not the full price. Even more for me that I don't play CS.

Edge
01-28-05, 03:50 AM
LOL. I think it's one of those things-where teens saw how nice it looked, knew they had a computer " and just had to give it a shot" hoping they could achieve the screens on the back of the box.

And the ironic thing is, the screens in the box aren't even in the game. Wonder if they played it and thought "whoa, my computer sucks so much that I didn't even get to go through the scenes it shows on the box!".

|MaguS|
01-28-05, 06:10 AM
While 1.7 mill is not that impressive (halo 2 has sold like 6 mill?) for such a big game it is still a very good number.

For a PC game to sell over a million copies, its amazing! Halo 2 only sold 6 million? Pfft Pokemon Blue/Red sold 8 million...

Vagrant Zero
01-28-05, 06:48 AM
For a PC game to sell over a million copies, its amazing! Halo 2 only sold 6 million? Pfft Pokemon Blue/Red sold 8 million...

Pokemon Red/Blue is 2 games. Halo1/2 have sold about 13 million combined. Final Fantasy VII sold 9.37 million. And it cost $70 when it first came out.

Edge
01-28-05, 07:43 AM
FF7 was NOT $70 when it came out. It retailed for the standard $50 (although a few PS1 games came out for $40). Unless you're refering to the Japanese version? Plus, since I preordered mine I got a free t-shirt.

As far as Pokemon Red/Blue...meh, hard to say if it should be considered 1 or 2 games. I'd say it's more like grouping the sales of Halo PC and Halo Xbox togeather (except they're on different platforms, and the one version came out 2 years after the other).

Edit: wait, I thought Halo 2 was up to 7 million copies?

Vagrant Zero
01-28-05, 08:18 AM
As far as Pokemon Red/Blue...meh, hard to say if it should be considered 1 or 2 games. I'd say it's more like grouping the sales of Halo PC and Halo Xbox togeather (except they're on different platforms, and the one version came out 2 years after the other).

Rokemon Red/Blue are 2 seperate games. You buy them seperately and pay full price for them, and one is not a port of the other. Secondly the amount of Xboxers + PC Gamers still pales to the amount of snot-nosed punks with GBAs [where is now? 80 million GBAs worldwide or something like that?]. Besides, people who have Halo on PC/Xbox are unlikely to shell out for the port since it's the same damned gamed. People with one pokemon game will doubtlessly buy the other one as they are mindless lemmings and because Nintendo wills it.

And for a while FFVII was going for $70. Right after the initial shipments sold out [after all NO ONE expected this little niche game to go on and sell 9.37 mil copies] and B&Ms started price gouging. But it doesn't effect Squaresoft since they weren't the ones doing the gouging. Still, FFVII pretty much single-handedly funded the FF movie lol.

OWA
01-28-05, 09:17 AM
Does that figure include the copies that were bundled with the ATI cards (the voucher deal)?

Seoulstriker
01-28-05, 09:26 AM
1.7 is about expected based on the original HL sales. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. :thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
01-28-05, 09:28 AM
And for a while FFVII was going for $70. Right after the initial shipments sold out [after all NO ONE expected this little niche game to go on and sell 9.37 mil copies] and B&Ms started price gouging. But it doesn't effect Squaresoft since they weren't the ones doing the gouging. Still, FFVII pretty much single-handedly funded the FF movie lol.

FF7 NEVER sold for $70 at any major retailer, I worked at EB when it released till the end of 2001 and never saw the game ever get that close, the only game we ever had near that amount was some RARE SNES games, DBZ Final Bout and some CE PC Games (BG2 and D2).

How did they not expect it to sell well since it sold nearly 2 million copies in japan in less then 2 days?

aAv7
01-28-05, 09:49 AM
Pokemon Red/Blue is 2 games. Halo1/2 have sold about 13 million combined. Final Fantasy VII sold 9.37 million. And it cost $70 when it first came out.

The difference is ff7 didnt suck :p And I paid $49.99-never saw it @ $70 @ any point. You must live in Canada or something heh.