PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Frequency.... this is optimal?

RobHague
01-27-05, 05:24 PM
I used the 'Detect Optimal Frequencys' option in the NV Clock Settings.... thinking it would be a bit "Modest" with the clocks and only give me something like 20-30mhz max over what i had...

370Mhz > 426Mhz
1.0Mhz > 1.11Ghz

:afro2:

I ran it through 3DMark05 expecting it to crash and burn but it seemed to pass fine.. dunno if im happy leaving it like that though... temps seemed about the same as before.

Thing is im just wondering where it gets it from... it says its tests it, yet i had another bios loaded up (see The Quadro Effect) and with that bios i got a meesly...

370 > 389Mhz
1.0Ghz > 1.02Ghz

.... just because i was using another BIOS? Why would the BIOS alter what core/clocks the memory can hit? Voltage? Timings? Well the voltage for both BIOS's is 1.3v (standard voltage ofr 6800Gt's yeah) and as for the timings well... i can only imagine that the ones in the Quadro BIOS are less than "optimal" since it was a pre-release...

Thoughts? How safe is it to keep the GT's at 400+ ? I have read some stories of them being fine and then dieing a month later... but i didnt get all the details on that so maybe there was something else there.

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 06:30 PM
I run my GT at 400mhz Core / 1.1ghz memory and it works great. Why risk it when it works great. Warrenty = a good thing!

NemesisChild
01-27-05, 06:41 PM
[pErMan']I run my GT at 400mhz Core / 1.1ghz memory and it works great. Why risk it when it works great. Warrenty = a good thing!

I agree 100%.
You may get an extra 3-4 FPS at higher clocks, but not worth the risk IMO.
GT owners should be more than happy to safely OC at Ultra stock speeds.

Gentle
01-27-05, 06:45 PM
Just make sure you keep track of your video card processor temperature and see if it goes up dramatically.

If you have an option for it, you can also set your 2D (Standard Windows) down to the standard values (or lower if you want to, it's just your desktop anyhow..)

Gentle

RobHague
01-27-05, 06:50 PM
Hmmm so u reckon 400/1.1 should be ok? Even though the GT lacks a molex and that.... okies ill try it out. I was aiming for Ultra clocks actually but i just tried the Optimal Setting and thats what i got... ill give 400/1.1 a go :thumbsup:

NemesisChild
01-27-05, 07:09 PM
Hmmm so u reckon 400/1.1 should be ok? Even though the GT lacks a molex and that.... okies ill try it out. I was aiming for Ultra clocks actually but i just tried the Optimal Setting and thats what i got... ill give 400/1.1 a go :thumbsup:

GT lacks a molex?
Not sure what you mean, but GT's require a molex power connection.
You can go higher than Ultra stock, but with it comes more card stress and higher temps.

RobHague
01-27-05, 07:11 PM
I mean the Ultra comes with two... the GT has just the one. I assumed there was a reason for this lol :) thought it would mean the core speed would be unstable at Ultra clocks... long term at least....

What memory did you guys get on your GT's btw? Mine is aparentley rated at 2.0ns (so 1Ghz is right on the nose) but in the info it was boasting about it being overclockable.. hmmm

I'll whack the BIOS through the editor and run it at 400/1100 i guess, see how it goes :) should mean its 400/1100 all the time and no chance of it being clocked down or whatever so i can test it out - plus its "neater". ;)

zoomy942
01-27-05, 07:13 PM
you should be good to go at 400/1100. i editted my bios and i have had my card at 400/1100 for a while. all i did was get the copper cooler from evga and that was it. se nevers gets too hot and i've never had a problem. you could go higher, but for the extra 2% spped, it's not worth risking such a nice piece of hardware

RobHague
01-27-05, 07:16 PM
I think i should be fine for cooling, the card came with a decent cooler to start with (one of the main reasons i bought it hehe)

http://www.gfe.com.hk/news/listst1.asp?s_id=13

When they say stuff like...

Use 2.0 ns Hynix DDR which allows more than enough head-room for overclocking of
memory speed from 1000MHz and above.

...you wonder what they could possibly say to someone wanting to return a card that went wrong because of overclocking.. i mean they advertise it as a feature ;)

j0j081
01-27-05, 08:20 PM
how much of a difference in benchmarks/gameplay does that overclock produce? i am debating on trying it now?

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 09:08 PM
j0j081.. this SHOULD help you....

I said:
I run my GT at 400mhz Core / 1.1ghz memory and it works great. Why risk it when it works great. Warrenty = a good thing!

Nemesis said:
I agree 100%.
You may get an extra 3-4 FPS at higher clocks, but not worth the risk IMO.
GT owners should be more than happy to safely OC at Ultra stock speeds.

zoomy said:
you should be good to go at 400/1100. i editted my bios and i have had my card at 400/1100 for a while. all i did was get the copper cooler from evga and that was it. se nevers gets too hot and i've never had a problem. you could go higher, but for the extra 2% spped, it's not worth risking such a nice piece of hardware

.... notice the pattern yet? ;-)

j0j081
01-27-05, 09:48 PM
[pErMan']
.... notice the pattern yet? ;-)
No...actually yeah I'm not stupid I am just a little over cautious because my cooling sucks. I have an HP computer that I've put a lot of upgrades into.

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 11:00 PM
Your card SHOULD be under warrenty to some sort of an OC level. I dunno much about BFG's ... but i know my gainward can OC and still be under warrently to the speeds I list ... and I think eVGA also has the same type of thing.

j0j081
01-28-05, 08:38 PM
Okay I tried the overclock and the performance boost is nice. Only tested w/source engine so far but I'm sure other games will have similar improvements. How high are acceptable temperatures? Anything below 80 or what?

RobHague
01-28-05, 08:39 PM
You try Ultra clocks? Or you let NVIDIA panel do its work..

j0j081
01-28-05, 09:46 PM
I did the ultra clocks.