PDA

View Full Version : ATTN HL2 retail owners dissatisfied with Source engine bugs (Stutter and/or crashing)

Pages : [1] 2

Ruined
01-27-05, 06:55 PM
Vivendi/Universal & Sierra offer a 90 day refund policy for their products if you live in North America. So if you bought Half Life 2 standard or CE within the past 90 days, you would be eligible for their refund program.

Here are the details of the program

http://support2.vugames.com/vug/answer.aspx?ID=2828

Refund Return Policy:

If you have purchased a Sierra or VU Games product within the last 90 days, we can offer you a refund for the program. Please return your original game disks, all game specific documentation, and the original proof of purchase (Please retain a photocopy of the sales receipt for your records.). Do not return your box sleeve or any other non-game related literature included with in the original package. Also include a note with your name and full mailing address.

Send to:

Vivendi Universal Games, Inc.
ATTN: Warranty Returns
4247 South Minnewawa Ave.
Fresno, CA 93725-9345

Refunds take approximately 4 - 6 weeks for delivery.

The customer is responsible for all shipping costs to return product.

Edge
01-27-05, 07:11 PM
Hmm, I have had some annoyances with HL2, but not quite enough that I'm willing to get a refund for it (although I WAS extremely disapointed by the "collector's edition" of the game...what a waste of money). It is something to consider though...almost might be worth it to get a refund and use the money to buy the Silver account from Steam, now that I see how crappy the retail versions are. Wait...if you send them back the game...they unlink it from your Steam account, right?

Ruined
01-27-05, 07:14 PM
Hmm, I have had some annoyances with HL2, but not quite enough that I'm willing to get a refund for it (although I WAS extremely disapointed by the "collector's edition" of the game...what a waste of money). It is something to consider though...almost might be worth it to get a refund and use the money to buy the Silver account from Steam, now that I see how crappy the retail versions are. Wait...if you send them back the game...they unlink it from your Steam account, right?

Yep. I assume you need to send in your CDKEY,etc.

My logic is that HL2 is crappy on my system now, and there is going to be a fun legal battle between vivendi and valve this summer. I'll wait until HL2 is available Steam-free. And if its not, oh well.

Rakeesh
01-27-05, 11:04 PM
****, I assume original proof of purchase implies a sales receipt and not the barcode on the box.

CaptNKILL
01-28-05, 09:55 AM
Funny how this shows up about 100 days after the release date of the game. Anyone who bought the game the week it came out is screwed ;)

Not that I mind... I havent been playing it much lately, but I still think its a great game.

Edge
01-28-05, 10:00 AM
100 days? November 17th to December 17th, December 17th to January 17th, January 17th to January 28th...I'm only counting 71 days there, CaptN.

MustangSVT
01-28-05, 11:53 AM
I wonder what kind of problems people have had. I have the retail Collector's Edition and got it for christmas. I haven't had one crash or problem here. I keep hearing about problems, but it's a miracle how it never happens to me. :eek:

CaptNKILL
01-28-05, 12:07 PM
100 days? November 17th to December 17th, December 17th to January 17th, January 17th to January 28th...I'm only counting 71 days there, CaptN.
Oh thats right, i was thinking it came out in october... stupid me :D

Wow, it seems like its been a lot longer than that anyway...

Ruined
02-07-05, 10:30 AM
finally got the chance to mail this crap back, lets see how long it takes for the refund to come.

Baracade980
02-07-05, 03:20 PM
I wonder what kind of problems people have had. I have the retail Collector's Edition and got it for christmas. I haven't had one crash or problem here. I keep hearing about problems, but it's a miracle how it never happens to me. :eek:

Me too. I have the same "collecters edition" and the only problem I've had is the stuttering (which is a widespread problem). One problem which now after I tweeked my comp a bit, is hardly a good reason for me to turn over my copy.

I did also think the "collecters edition" was a slight waste, but you did get one more "game" with it (I mean HL2: DM and not CS:S) and I happen to like the shirt. This little "guide" that came with it though was a waste, I thought you'd get the whole thing. Too much to expect I guess.

killahsin
02-07-05, 03:34 PM
I had serious stutter than i got a gig of ram and a sata hd and no more stutter for me.

Not to say the stutter doesnt exist. Because previously i had lots of it

Ruined
02-07-05, 05:44 PM

some examples of the problems ppl are having:
http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69715
http://soulcake.freestarthost.com/poll.htm
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51549
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70427
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=861497

Ruined
02-07-05, 05:48 PM
Me too. I have the same "collecters edition" and the only problem I've had is the stuttering (which is a widespread problem). One problem which now after I tweeked my comp a bit, is hardly a good reason for me to turn over my copy.

Well, in my case, this is why I turned over my copy:

A) the stuttering bug is still not fixed here. If this were the only problem I'd keep it.

B) Steam is terrible. I bought a retail game thinking I'd have to activate it once like Windows XP and instead I got a game that needs to be online virtually all the time and has a bad offline mode.

I will definitely rebuy the game once they get the bugs worked out and once they offer a Steam-free copy. Even if they never offer a copy without steam, the steam packages give you much more than what you get with a retail copy, and retail copies right now are currently no better than steam copies as they are essentially converted to steam installs. I already beat the game, so either way I win.

john19055
02-08-05, 01:07 AM
I had some studding around the end of the game,but I still love this game Bugs and all.So I think I keep my Collector's Edition even though I paid to much for it.

Sazar
02-08-05, 06:05 PM
I have the CE and have never had a problem with it over 3 driver revisions... its a shame those who have a problem are unable to enjoy their gaming experience...

john19055
02-09-05, 04:32 AM
I enjoy the game very much even If I do have some studdering close to the end,I have played it so far four times from start to ending.

noko
02-10-05, 08:06 AM
No stuttering except when manually saving but I am not at the end yet :((( One of these days I will get back into the game, just lost interest in the mean time.

Riptide
02-10-05, 08:40 AM
I haven't played HL2 in a while now. But I get stuttering and popping/crackling in CS:S all the time now. When it first came out it almost never happened except on one map - aztec. The game now does it in just about every map and it's usually in certain spots. Even dust does it now. It's really rather annoying as hell frankly.

Drumphil
02-12-05, 10:06 PM
Runs fine for me, but I seem to be lucky when it comes to stuff working on my computer.

holmes
02-18-05, 12:10 PM
For all those interested, you can also get a refund if you bought HL2 through Steam. I did so after reading this thread on the steam forums HERE (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=236841) . Since HL2 ran like complete crap (stuttering) among some of the other issues with the game I have, I found it in my best interest to return the game. I called Valve at this number (425-889-9642) and chose option 7 leaving a message with my name, number, and last four digits of my CC. The next day I get the call (today). The lady I talked to was very nice about it and said that the charges will be reversed in 3-5 days. I'm happy...
:)

Ruined
02-18-05, 01:45 PM
For all those interested, you can also get a refund if you bought HL2 through Steam. I did so after reading this thread on the steam forums HERE (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=236841) . Since HL2 ran like complete crap (stuttering) among some of the other issues with the game I have, I found it in my best interest to return the game. I called Valve at this number (425-889-9642) and chose option 7 leaving a message with my name, number, and last four digits of my CC. The next day I get the call (today). The lady I talked to was very nice about it and said that the charges will be reversed in 3-5 days. I'm happy...
:)

cool :D

OWA
02-21-05, 06:06 PM
I stopped playing it as a game at the hovercraft level but I decided against trying to return it. I like using it as a benchmark and as a tech demo (nice graphics).

Marcos
02-22-05, 10:44 AM
id send it back but i already let a whole bunch of people borrow it, even people i dont know. **** steam. I almost threw up the last time I played hl2 also.

Baracade980
02-22-05, 09:04 PM
Well, in my case, this is why I turned over my copy:

A) the stuttering bug is still not fixed here. If this were the only problem I'd keep it.

B) Steam is terrible. I bought a retail game thinking I'd have to activate it once like Windows XP and instead I got a game that needs to be online virtually all the time and has a bad offline mode.

I will definitely rebuy the game once they get the bugs worked out and once they offer a Steam-free copy. Even if they never offer a copy without steam, the steam packages give you much more than what you get with a retail copy, and retail copies right now are currently no better than steam copies as they are essentially converted to steam installs. I already beat the game, so either way I win.

Oh man I agree STEAM is terrible man. When I first installed it, it'd work about a week or two then quit. Then, I'd have to reinstall it, and the same thing would happen. And I would perfer a Steam free copy all the way, but until then what cha gonna do, you know what I mean? I beat the game too... I still think it was incredible even with all the crap I had to go through.

Maybe I like retail better just because you can go in, hold the thing in your hands, and just pay cash and get outta there. Oh well, guess I'm old school like that :D.

noko
02-23-05, 05:03 PM
Finally finished HL2, no stutter problem thank God, otherwise I would have ditched into the garbage can faster then cat litter. Awesome game overall and look forward to playing it again.