PDA

View Full Version : 6600gt nv4_mini.sys problems

dreamhost
01-27-05, 10:01 PM
I was running an older 4600ti which I upgraded to the gigabyte 6600gt yesterday.

The reason for upgrading was that I was getting consistent bsod errors, and they were rarelly the same, but the most prevalent issue was with nv4_mini.sys having issues.

Now I have built an entirelly new comp with this card, and I get the bsod a few times a day for no apparent reason.

I have tried drivers all the way from 66.93 to the most recent beta, but still have the same problems.

One major thing I notice is that if I try to watch .wmv files in media player 10, it will shut down with an error output 90% of the time.

Also as I run media center I have noticed that my tv looks perfect but is VERY jerky, and will crash mce everytime.

I am COMPLETELLY out of ideas. I bought all new equipment, reinstalled the os from scratch, and still the same problems.

Does anyone have any idea as to a fix or what the problem may be?

system:
mce2k5
pIV 2.8 hyper
1g ocz ddr400
asus p4p800-8 mb
2x 74g raptor hd
hauppauge 150mce
sound blaster audigy2 platinum
x-connect 500w ps

TierMann
01-27-05, 10:38 PM
A couple of ideas.

Have you tried removing the audigy 2 from your system and running a wmv file or whatever would crash you? Just an idea there if that was also part of your old system. If it's new with this system, then nevermind.

Also, do you use DriverCleaner before installing new/updating drivers for the video card? If not, that could be a place to start. If for some reason your card had problems with the first set of drivers, and you installed new drivers over the old ones, you may still have the buggy or somewhat incompatible nv4_mini.sys.

Just ideas.

dreamhost
01-27-05, 10:49 PM
A couple of ideas.

Have you tried removing the audigy 2 from your system and running a wmv file or whatever would crash you? Just an idea there if that was also part of your old system. If it's new with this system, then nevermind.

Also, do you use DriverCleaner before installing new/updating drivers for the video card? If not, that could be a place to start. If for some reason your card had problems with the first set of drivers, and you installed new drivers over the old ones, you may still have the buggy or somewhat incompatible nv4_mini.sys.

Just ideas.

I ended up building the system from scratch yesterday, new hd os etc.
Right now the audigy2 is not installed, as I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem without adding more to the mix.

I do not know what drivercleaner is...
I just started out with the most current release from their site, I believe 66.93, had the same issues, so went up the chain on another site of drivers, trying each one for problems and going up a driver level if same problem.
I still have all the problems.

Given my system specs what would you suggest I do?
where do I find drivercleaner?

thnx so much for the help.

TierMann
01-27-05, 10:56 PM
You can get drivercleaner here: http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm

What a lot of people do when updating their drives is remove the display adapter using Device Manager, then reboot in safe mode (holding F8 just before windows starts to load), run drivercleaner and pick nvidia to get rid of all (most of) the leftover files. Then reboot normally and install the new drivers. Then reboot again and you've got new drivers running.

That's a few reboots, but worth it. I've had wierd things happen with old driver remains sitting around.

Gentle
01-28-05, 12:24 PM
I ended up building the system from scratch yesterday, new hd os etc.

Driver Cleaner will not really do anything unless you've installed other drivers. This was a "new" build, essentially.

Gentle

dreamhost
01-28-05, 12:39 PM
Driver Cleaner will not really do anything unless you've installed other drivers. This was a "new" build, essentially.

Gentle

Yeah, it's a totally new build.
I ended up with a total of 7 crashes yesterday, which believe me is better than it has been, but is still not usable.

There seems to be no direct thing that I can do to make it crash, it just happens for no apparent reason.

The last error I got was the stop 0x00000050 which has something to do with the requested data not being in memory....
Also noticed that media center shut down last night while sleeping, and left me a black screen in the morning which took a hard reboot to clear.

WE have stress tested the ram on this box and also on another box, and it passed both times.
All hardware is brand new, unfortunatelly....

I have no ideas left could use advice if anyone has solved this issue before.

TierMann
01-28-05, 03:31 PM

Gentle

As I said, just ideas. But if he did start out with the same copy of a corrupt 66.93 on both systems, it could be the problem.

Have you tested the card in other boxes too, or just the ram?