PDA

View Full Version : Poor performance with Geforce 6800.

Jehusephat
01-27-05, 09:42 PM
I'm tired, so I'll just paste a copy of the letter I've just sent to Leadtek's tech support staff:

"I am experiencing incredibly poor framerates during gameplay, as well as a great deal of stuttering. My power supply is adequate (350w), and all drivers/BIOS have been updated to current versions. Nvidia tech demos for the 6800 series are running below 1 frame per second, and most games report averages of 25 to 30 FPS at 1024x768. The results do not change when I lower graphics settings and disable anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering. My results during gameplay are less than half of what are to be considered average at these settings, and the Nvidia tech demos are all but unwatchable. I have tampered with nearly every setting in the video card control panel as well as in my BIOS to no avail. The card is running at default clock speeds. There is no overheating, and the voltage levels are normal. Games are also slowing/stuttering a great deal when my hard drive is accessed, though low framerates occur regardless of whether or not this is happening. I am quite frustrated with the card, and am considering returning it. Any help with this matter would be appreciated."

I am running an Athlon XP 2800+ on a Gigabyte nForce2 board with 512 megs of memory. It isn't the best system, but it shouldn't be experiencing these sorts of problems. I've been reading about this problem in a number of forums, and from what I can gather there are no solutions as of yet. If anyone can help me with this problem I would be extremely grateful. I have no desire to return the card and wait for a new one to be shipped, though right now I'm beginning to wonder if I have any other option.

MUYA
01-27-05, 09:46 PM
Give us more details, like the rets of the system, sound card, chipset maker, motehrboard vendor, drivers for all devices etc. AND WHAT YOUD DID, when you installed the new card...straight in? did u have a NV card in there before or ATi? etc.

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 11:02 PM
I am running an Athlon XP 2800+ on a Gigabyte nForce2 board with 512 megs of memory.
Your video card should still work almost flawlessly with those specs. Very odd... maybe you just have a bad card? Id RMA it if you have tried a bunch of stuff.

MUYA
01-27-05, 11:08 PM
BTW the NVIDIA demos run with 4X AA by default, so do not expect blazing framrates.

OWA
01-27-05, 11:09 PM
Make sure you have the AGP Gart driver installed (nforce drivers, etc.).

MUYA
01-27-05, 11:09 PM
hmmm still, I really think that you did something while installing the new card...drivers most likely...and hence the very very poor performance.

$n][pErMan
01-27-05, 11:46 PM
I dunno .. I think its more than drivers... maybe a setting in the motherboard is set wrong. Im guess by now he would have ruled out driver issues but who knows.

MUYA
01-27-05, 11:54 PM
The question is that he said he moved to a new 6800. Now what was in his old setup, a NV or ATi card. For what it's worth even moving between cards made with GPUs from one IHV requires a fresh install of new drivers. There are certain proceedures to that. More so when moving to cards powered by another IHV GPU.

I would just reccomend to him, reformat his winxp partition drive and reinstall windows and drivers etc.

Jehusephat
01-28-05, 01:42 AM
I upgraded from a Geforce 4 MX 440. Before installing the new card I uninstalled both my Nforce and video drivers, ran Driver Cleaner 3, installed the card, reinstalled the Nforce drivers and then installed the newest officially released Nvidia drivers. My motherboard BIOS is current. I've tried fixing the problem by disabling fast writes; my BIOS doesn't actually allow me to change my AGP aperture size (or very much else, for that matter) so I haven't had the opportunity to alter many of my motherboard settings. I've since tried a few different versions of both the motherboard and video drivers, but the problem persists regardless of what versions are installed. Oddly enough, 3dmark '05 seems to give me fairly reasonable scores (3275 seems to be where it averages). I just don't see reasonable performance in games. I'm considering reinstalling Windows as a last resort, though I am going to try installing the card in a friend's machine over the weekend so I know where to place the blame. If the hardware works but is simply incompatible with my system, would I still be reasonable for me to return the card and request a replacement of a different variety?

MUYA
01-28-05, 02:04 AM
Heck do a format and reinstall of Windows XP. That's your last best hope to see if your card is ok or not.

ViN86
01-28-05, 12:52 PM
if it were me, id reinstall windows. whenever i make a hardware change that is dependent on drivers, i reinstall windows ;)

smthmlk.
01-28-05, 04:39 PM
Try installing the 67.66 drivers: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_67.66.html

Games are also slowing/stuttering a great deal when my hard drive is accessed, though low framerates occur regardless of whether or not this is happening.

This is exactly what happens when you don't have enough ram. However, as others have mentioned, I suspect you have larger problems beyond just this. Try those drivers I mentioned above, test the card in a friends computer.

Also, what brand of PSU is that 350w? Just because it says "350w" doesn't mean it's worth a dog turd :)

Razorman
01-28-05, 04:59 PM
You ain't gonna like this but here goes, if you have to reinstall windows every time you have a little problem like drivers then all i can say to one & all is "YO NOOB STEP AWAY FROM DA RIG".

Jehusephat
01-29-05, 08:44 AM
I'm considering purchasing an additional 512 MB of ram as soon as I can come up with the money. I seem to have solved the problem with extremely low framerates in games (though they are still horrible in the Nvidia demos), though I'm not exactly sure what I did to fix it. I'm guessing that the card was feeling sorry for me. Doom 3 and Half Life 2 are still stuttering during actual gameplay (probably because I do need more memory), but the framerates reach normal levels in timedemos if I run them three or four times in a row. It seems that once all of the information in the timedemos has been loaded the stuttering stops. The only problem I'm having is that during actual gameplay new information is constantly being accessed from the drive as I progress in the stage, so the stuttering occurs regularly. Does this sound like a memory issue? I'm bringing the card to a friend's tomorrow, so I'll have more information on how it performs in another system in a day or two.

Razorman
01-30-05, 03:21 AM
It is definately a memory issue, grab ya extra 512 & you'll never look back

evilchris
01-30-05, 03:23 AM
It could also possibly have semen on it.

Did you by any chance buy it from this guy?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43298