PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT instant reboot

squarooticus
01-28-05, 01:59 AM
I just installed my 6600GT (which is having problems in Linux too; see that forum for more info) and my machine now instantly reboots upon trying to load a map in FarCry. I did nothing else to my machine: I replaced the old FX5600 with the 6600GT and started it up, and now it's pulling this crap on me. WTF is up with this? I have a Tyan Thunder K8W with dual Opteron 244's. I paid $200 for this card, and expect at least to be able to play a year old game with it out-of-the-box. What the hell is going on???

MUYA
01-28-05, 02:07 AM
I know you are fustrated but a more level headed post would have sufficed instead of the hot headed demands you seem to be making.

With that said, it could be a number of things, including your card. First please describe how you replaced the old graphics card with your new one in terms of procedure. The way you install a new graphics card is vital in diagnosing a problem.

Could be anything from graphics drivers themselves to motherbaord drivers...compatibily issues etc

squarooticus
01-28-05, 08:21 AM
I know you are fustrated but a more level headed post would have sufficed instead of the hot headed demands you seem to be making.
Whatever. I paid good money for this, and I expect it at least to work properly with Windows. (I'm used to problems with Linux, but have always had Windows to fall back on for reliable gaming; evidently, this is no longer the case.)
With that said, it could be a number of things, including your card. First please describe how you replaced the old graphics card with your new one in terms of procedure. The way you install a new graphics card is vital in diagnosing a problem.
You're kidding, right? Rest assured, I installed it properly (including the molex connector) and with the power off.
Could be anything from graphics drivers themselves to motherbaord drivers...compatibily issues etc
Stated mobo already. BIOS 2.02w (beta). Started with 66.29 drivers, then upgraded to 69.07 (beta) and then 71.40. All exhibit the same problem. I am using XP SP2 with everything up-to-date in Windows Update.

FWIW, I bought two of them (boy, was that a bad idea) and both of them act the same way in this motherboard. Will try in my P4 downstairs later, but I need this card to work properly in this motherboard, because it is my primary gaming machine.

Kyle

Filibuster
01-28-05, 10:08 AM
Sir,
Go get support from the manufacturer if you want to yell at someone.
MUYA deserves respect, especially since he is trying to help you.
Thanks.

squarooticus
01-28-05, 10:18 AM
Sir,
Go get support from the manufacturer if you want to yell at someone.
MUYA deserves respect, especially since he is trying to help you.
Thanks.
I'm not annoyed at MUYA, I'm annoyed at Nvidia for releasing a product that obviously hasn't undergone regression testing. Why Nvidia can't test their products with every major motherboard on the market before releasing it is beyond me: the cost of doing so would be chump change compared to the amount of money they drop on payroll expenses and R&D, and it would pick up problems like this before they piss off customers.

Kyle

saturnotaku
01-28-05, 10:20 AM
I'm not annoyed at MUYA, I'm annoyed at Nvidia for releasing a product that obviously hasn't undergone regression testing. Why Nvidia can't test their products with every major motherboard on the market before releasing it is beyond me: the cost of doing so would be chump change compared to the amount of money they drop on payroll expenses and R&D, and it would pick up problems like this before they piss off customers.

Kyle

For every 1 person that has a problem there are probably 100 or more that don't. While you may not be unique in that you are having trouble, keep in mind that the majority are sailing along just fine.

squarooticus
01-28-05, 12:27 PM
It's also hasty to instantly assume Nvidia is even at fault here.
Agreed, but judging from my extensive experience in engineering, chances are this is the result of inadequate regression testing. That said, I am willing to help Nvidia debug this problem in any way that I can.
Instant reboots like that in my experience are caused by an inadequate power supply. What are the specs of your power supply?
530W PC Power and Cooling. I assume this is more than sufficient for the video card + 2 Opterons + 2 7200 RPM drives + an SB Live.

Kyle

ViN86
01-28-05, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by squarooticus
Why Nvidia can't test their products with every major motherboard on the market

Tyan? sorry, never heard of it. they do test their cards with the major motherboards: MSI, Asus, EPoX, WinFast, ABIT, and others. :/

Filibuster
01-28-05, 05:31 PM
Tyan? sorry, never heard of it. they do test their cards with the major motherboards: MSI, Asus, EPoX, WinFast, ABIT, and others. :/

Tyan hasn't made 'desktop class' boards for several years...they are workstation/server board makers...pretty high end stuff. They *are* a major manufactuer for these markets, and definately get testing from Nvidia (more with Quadro line I imagine, but still...)

My first pc I built was a Tyan Titan 3 Pentium board...still running today.
Unfortunately my experiences with the 2885 board are not as great. We have one customer with one and first it was BSODing whenever lots of disk IO happened. The new board fixed that but after a few months it is randomly corrupting his registry hive, but I'm not sure it is the board this time. I tried using the 2.02W bios but it would not get beyond the bios screen without resetting, so the 2.02 stable went back on and it was fine.

I would talk to Tyan tech support and see if there are any known issues with the 6600 cards. I definately have had good results in dealing with them before.

squarooticus
01-28-05, 10:59 PM
I would talk to Tyan tech support and see if there are any known issues with the 6600 cards. I definately have had good results in dealing with them before.
Thanks. I will do that. FWIW, it's also nice to see some constructive suggestions. :)

Kyle

MUYA
01-28-05, 11:53 PM
Thanks. I will do that. FWIW, it's also nice to see some constructive suggestions. :)

Kyle
Now I will make a few suggestions myself. Seems you are an engineer etc with knowledge etc but that gives you NO right to make demands and behave in the way you have. Your participation in these forums are a privilege not a right. Not a right to blame or take your fustrations on others in these forums. Please be a lil cool headed next time you post.

And it's not NVIDIA's fault altogether you got a bum card or setup. It could be a number of things, I would blame NVIDIA last as, with non high end cards, the manufacturer (Add in board partners) themselves assemble and are responsible themsleves for quality control.

If you cannot abide by my suggestions I will show you the exit door.

squarooticus
01-29-05, 12:24 AM
If you cannot abide by my suggestions I will show you the exit door.
Whatever. Get off your power trip, jackass.

Kyle

saturnotaku
01-29-05, 12:29 AM
Whatever. Get off your power trip, jackass.

Kyle

I smell another banning. I do so love the banning.

MUYA
01-29-05, 12:30 AM
I just smell a retard.

Clay
01-29-05, 12:35 AM
If MUYA is a guy that'll get on a power trip then Gib is afraid of guns. :D

MikeC
01-29-05, 01:20 AM
I think this square guy thinks we are NVIDIA owned forums he doesn't understand we are a privately owned site. He wants us to kick us because he is having a problem with his NVIDIA card.